Topic: Here Comes the Ice Man
Replies: 7   Last Post: Aug 14, 2018 9:16 PM by: cu85tiger®
[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 7  

Here Comes the Ice Man

[13]
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 7:59 PM

The electric refrigerator did not become a standard household item in my neck of the woods until the 1940's and post WW2. The old ice box was as common as fleas on dog. In my home town, the city owned and operated an ice plant. When I refer to my home town as a city, I'm really stretching the truth. Actually, we only had about 1,000 residents and that number may have included some folks just passing through who had made a potty stop. Anyway, having our own ice plant wqs something to brag about.

Manzy and lige were long-time employees of the town and one of their duties was to deliver ice to the towns people. My first recollection of ice delivery sometime in the late 1920's was by a mule drawn wagon. Sometime in the 1930's the town bought a truck to deliver the ice and we though we were on equal footing with a big city as far as having a modern delivery system.

There is an art to chipping a 300 pound block of ice into 12.5, 25, 50 and 100 pound blocks. Manzy and Lige were the best. Their skill level was best during the time school was in session. When school was not in session, kids would follow the ice truck hoping to get a few chips to suck on. Manzy and Lige always made sure every kid got their fair share of ice chips.

Every customer of the town ice plant was issued a square placard with the 12.5, 25, 50 and 100 numbers, one number on each side. The placard was placed in a window or other place where Manzy and Lige could see it. The number at the top indicated the size block of ice wanted. The ice box was located where it was easily accesible by Manzy and Lige. No one locked their house so ice could be delivered when there was no one at home.

The ice compartment was usually located on the upper left of the ice box. Some were loaded from the front and some were loaded from the top. Most ice compartments were desiged for 25 pounds but the larger ones were designed for 50 pounds. A tube ran from the ice compartment to a point below the refrigerator to drain the melted ice. A pan was placed beneath the refrigerator to collect the water. Emptying the pan of water was a daily task and my older brother and I shared this responsibility.

I don't recall the method of payment but believe the charge for ice was included in the light and water bill. There was no exchange of money when the ice was delivered.

Ice was not delivered to those living in the rural areas. There were very few trucks and autos on the farms so having ice during the week was not a regular fature. Saturday was an altogether different bird. Everyone in the family came to town on Saturday to shop, coming in a horse or mule drawn wagon. In the wagon was a home made box, made specifically for a block of ice to take home on Saturday night.
The last stop before heading back to the farm was the ice plant for a 100 pound block of ice. After the ice was placed in the box, burlap bags or an old quilt was placed around the ice to minimize the melting process on the way home.

Sunday was a big day on the farm. There was fried chicken, ham, mashed potatoes, gravy and all sorts of food on the table. An apple pie and/or a German Choclate cake was on a side table, but all of this was overshadowed by that big glass of sweet iced tea. That was always a special treat. Not everyone had the luxury of having an ice plant in their home town.

military_donation.jpg

I thought this post was going to be about George Gervin.

[1]
Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:08 PM

AKA "The Iceman."

2018 white level member

keep em coming Joe

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:15 PM

best thing on the entire interweebs

2018 white level member

and that is how doo doo ice was invented

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:19 PM

2018 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Gamecocks suck

Actually, I think that's how

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:51 PM

America was invented, in a small, but meaningful way.

Re: Here Comes the Ice Man

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:49 PM

I can remember chasing either a milk truck or ice truck that delivered those things, and the driver would give us kids chunks of ice to munch on. Life was good.

Not sure why kids need a new Xbox or cell phone these days. A few chunks of ice should do it, and some empty carnation milk cans that you could stomp and make them fit your shoes. Walking on those things was cool. LOL Kids these days?

Bye Bye Birdie...******

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 8:54 PM

I’m not the Iceman

Posted: Aug 14, 2018 9:16 PM

I’m the Iceman’s son
But I’ll keep you cool
‘til the Iceman comes

2018 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

“When my information changes, I alter my conclusions. What do you do, sir?”
John Maynard Keynes
“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Replies: 7  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: South Carolina
FOR SALE: USC: 6 TIX Together. 40 YD LN, LOWER SOUTH. SEC E, ROWS O,P. 2 Aisle Seats, Seatbacks. UPS or USPS P...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Amphitheatre ]
Start New Topic
1269 people have read this post