Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Heartbreak in Atlanta
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Heartbreak in Atlanta

Sep 11, 2009, 12:43 AM

Heartbreak in Atlanta

The Clemson Tigers fell into a 24-point hole early in the second quarter, battled back to take the lead at 27-24 in the fourth quarter, then saw the 15th-ranked Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets kick a field goal with 57 seconds remaining to win it. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Glad to hear Dabo admit being outcoached. Holding call bogus

Sep 11, 2009, 2:03 AM

Unlike Bowden, I'm glad to hear Dabo admit that he was outcoached in the first half. He clearly was. But the team showed tremendous heart in coming back.

That pivotal holding call that negated the 38 yard pass to Ford in 4th quarter was bogus. I watched the replay over and over. It wasn't even close to being a hold, and it contributed greatly to Clemson's loss. What a shame.

If the Clemson team that played in the 2nd, 3rd, and 4th quarters had played in the 1st quarter, Clemson would have won. Oh well... you gotta play 4 quarters.

Before the game Paul Johnson said that they wouldn't kick out of bounds to avoid Spiller. But they did it at least twice. Then again, Swinney said he'd play Korn, but he didn't. I don't blame either coach.

was thinkin the same on Sweeny v Bowden & the holding call***

Sep 11, 2009, 4:16 AM

Two bad holding calls down the stretch

Sep 11, 2009, 8:45 AM

The call on the pass to Jacoby, but also the one GT got when they drove down to take the lead. The difference is that ours negated a gain to the 10 and gave us 3rd and forever and theirs was I think on 1st or 2nd down on their side of the field. They were both non-existant. The NCAA really needs to look into changing the rule on holding. Some form of holding takes place on almost every play, but for the most part is not called. The refs should call major holds, but not get in the way of a great game.

Same call on the punt

Sep 11, 2009, 9:39 AM

Gave them the ball back and went 3 and back, but ran another 3 mins of clock.

Our holding call was wrong. Theirs looked pretty legit.

Sep 11, 2009, 5:13 PM [ in reply to Two bad holding calls down the stretch ]

I watched both of those holding calls a few times on replay. The holding call against Austin was wrong. No way that was a hold. Not even close. The guy just fell sideways which made it look like Austin threw him to the ground. (Austin seems a bit stunned that the guy went down.)

In the following holding call against GT, the GT guy had his arm wrapped around the defender's leg. Maybe that was an accident and maybe he didn't actually clamp down on the leg, but it looked bad enough to justify a call.

I wish that stuff was reviewable by the refs. Why not get it right with video replay? I think that Austin call would have been overturned and the GT holding call would have not been overturned (at a minimum for lack of conclusive evidence).

Re: Heartbreak in Atlanta

Sep 11, 2009, 7:17 AM

Our defense has a tendency of never stopping the plays that matter. This goes back to the Bowden era. Seems the D plays real hard and then has a let down in the end. The holding penalty hurt but it was those last two Tech drives that did us in. I have seen this over and over the past few years.
Tech's defense was obviously worn down but they made the critical stop. If we're going to get over the hurdle we will have to do the same.
I have no doubt we have the coaches to get our players into that mentality. I'm very optimistic about this season. GO TIGERS!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2009, 8:48 AM

The non-existent holding penalty got us. Plain and simple.

Sep 11, 2009, 8:26 AM

Same 'ol same 'ol...need one stop by the D in the 4th quarter and can't get it...one stinking penalty by the offense changes everything...I've seen this movie too many times...and it is "two thumbs down"...

Sep 11, 2009, 8:47 AM

new coaching staff, same results.

I thought we were the better team, but we made too many mistakes to win against a good team. Unfortunately, that hasn't changed yet. I like the fact that the team showed some fight to get back in the game though.

I think with our remaining schedule, that is a very good sign...

Sep 11, 2009, 11:36 AM

I've seen this movie too many times also. The holding calls were questionable, to be sure, but we shouldn't have been in a position where they mattered that much. The heart of the problem is too often, the team isn't mentally ready to play. Lost the first quarter 24-0, won the last 45 minutes 27-6, the issue is you can't let those first 15 minutes happen like that. I've thought that in almost every game the last few years, we've had the superior talent on the field (with the possible exceptions of Alabama and VA Tech)and lost on mental mistakes like defensive and special teams breakdowns (see last night), bad penalties and turnovers. I guess we need a sports psychologist, but it gets frustrating.

That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal

Sep 11, 2009, 1:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Heartbreak in Atlanta ]

Had we taken care of business in the first quarter

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal

Sep 11, 2009, 1:46 PM

Yall are on crack! That call cost us the game. We were on out 5th scoring drive, 5th! You can't play every quarter perfect as in the 1st but you can correct your mistakes and play the rest of the game as in the 2nd, 3rd and 4th. Even the. Announcer said the 2nd holding call was a possible make up for the 1st bad call. It just didn't have as much recorse as the 1st bad call. We played a H@LL of a game after the first 15 minutes. You can't expect no mistakes in the 2nd game of the season, but you better bet ur A$$ they will correct them b4 the BC game.
As for you pesimists, get your head out of the half empty glass and cheer for your TIGERS as real fans should!

GO TIGERS!!!

Sep 11, 2009, 2:40 PM

tigers baby u are right on we would have scored and ran the clock down at the same time and won that game the refs did it to us again. But it is over and done with I think the team will learn alot after that game. We have a chance to make this a season to remember so everyone get behind your tigers and lets kick some ###.

GO TIGER!!!!!!

Sep 11, 2009, 3:00 PM

H€LL YEA!!

GO TIGERS!!!

Sep 11, 2009, 4:18 PM [ in reply to Re: That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal ]

Not on crack at all. We did play a very good 3 quarters. Unfortunately, the game has four quarters and we dug ourselves a huge hole to climb out of in the first quarter. My comment referred to the fact that we seem to have trouble regularly being mentally ready to play all 60 minutes and end up losing to teams that we should beat. I believe this is what has kept us at the 6 or 7 win level for the last few years with teams that have the talent to win 10 or 11. I'm as big a Tiger fan as they come, but I calls 'em as I sees 'em.

Sep 12, 2009, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal ]

We all hope the Tigers win a whole bunch of games...but maybe we do need the sports psychologist mentioned above..."Star" players tapping the top of their helmets in the 4th Quarter...to come out of the game with the game on the line...Maybe I'm too old school, but come on...rest on Friday, win the stinking game on Thursday night!

Sep 11, 2009, 3:49 PM [ in reply to That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal ]

Great take Mack!!

Sep 12, 2009, 3:26 PM [ in reply to That call did not cost us!...it just sealed the deal ]

idiotic response. we climbed out of that hole. the call costs us the game. how can anyone in their right mind not see that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was the point of that fake FG that cost us the game?

Sep 11, 2009, 5:00 PM

What was the point of that fake FG/punt that cost us 7 points and the game? (That play call seemed worse than the ref's holding call.) Swinney said that it was his mistake because he should have told the field goal kicker to punt it out of bounds. Well if that's the case, why not just line up for a punt and have the punter punt it out of bounds? What's the advantage of taking that kind of risk?

idk why he didnt just line up and punt the ball...but the he

Sep 11, 2009, 5:16 PM

was supposed to kick the ball outta bounds

Re: What was the point of that fake FG that cost us the game?

Sep 11, 2009, 9:25 PM [ in reply to What was the point of that fake FG that cost us the game? ]

That play angers the hell out of me. How can it get any better for them. Take your best returner and we'll try to tackle him with our fat guys. If it needs to be punted out of bounds using that formation please let him know before the game next time.

Dead on correct. And to think we did it after calling TO

Sep 11, 2009, 9:47 PM

really pisses me off.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dead on correct. And to think we did it after calling TO

Sep 11, 2009, 10:14 PM

yep. There is a reason they have a punt formation. its a formation... used for punting. also has speed on the outside... which has been known to be useful against returners.

#### that play. on to next week.

ranks up at the top with worst coaching decisions

Sep 11, 2009, 9:46 PM [ in reply to What was the point of that fake FG that cost us the game? ]

I have observed over the years of following Clemson.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on

Sep 11, 2009, 10:27 PM

I don't agree with burning the timeout if you knew you were going to punt, but if Jackson executes the kick and it goes out of bounds there is no return. That was on Jackson, not Dabo. And Dabo let him know it. As for some bad coaching decisions, how about Danny starting Mark Gasque over Homer Jordan in 1980 most of the year, or Randy Anderson over Rodney. Geez guys, get a life and give the guy a break. It's one game. If a pattern develops let me know, but it's one game.

Re: That was a bad coaching call

Sep 12, 2009, 8:38 AM

plain and simple. Coach Swinney knows it which is why he took responsibility, and I respect the man for doing so. As Razz pointed out earlier, what exactly was the advantage of lining up with our FG unit for a 57 yard field goal only to punt it without punt coverage guys on the field? Why take that kind of risk?

I think its a lesson learned for a young head coach not to get too cute on special teams, and I do not think that the same mistake will be repeated. Sure it's one game. One game that was a potential win that became a loss partly due to our own undoing.

But not the worst of all time, geez***

Sep 12, 2009, 3:27 PM

Not the worst of all time, just bad enough to contribute to

Sep 13, 2009, 10:08 AM

the loss.

Yep. That was a 7-10 point swing. FG could have worked.

Sep 13, 2009, 1:22 PM

If I remember correctly, that fake FG would have been a 55 yard attempt. Richard Jackson hit a 53-yarder later in the game with about 10 yards to spare. Had he hit that 55 yarder (rather than the fake) that would have been a 10 point swing, not just a 7 point swing.

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic