Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hatfield was dumb as a rock
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 41
| visibility 1

Hatfield was dumb as a rock

May 25, 2019, 11:55 PM

I'll say it again, because nothing gets me angrier than the mess created by Hatfield
At NC State just before halftime we were in FG range. No timeouts and 24 secs or so on the clock. Hatfield runs the ball, then trys to rush the FG squad onto the field. The NCS players were laughing and moving as slow as syrup. Of course, time runs out before we could line up to kick. When asked why the running play, Hatfield said we've done that in practice and it worked every time. Yeah, right, I doubt the practice squad on defense was laughing and laying around like an opponent would obviously do. Remember the night game at UGay when we were favored and lost 20-7 or close to that? We had a great option team, Danny's players, the ESPN announcers kept saying how Georgia had problems stopping the run and this was Clemson's strength. Look for Clemson to run the option and see if Georgia can find any way to slow it down. We did run an option play and it went 40 or more yards for a TD. That was the ONLY time Hatfield ran the option. He kept trying to throw the ball with a QB who couldn't throw against a team that couldn't stop the run. Later Little Vanderbilt just killed UGay running the ball. Don't tell me he deserved better. Yes he was and is a great person. But a football coach at our level, no way.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hatfield was dumb as a rock

May 26, 2019, 12:07 AM

It’s off your chest now. Let it go. Best advice ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 12:39 AM

Actually it's been off my chest and not something to think about since the day we showed him the door. But I'm not going to forget what happened when some clown posts that we should have treated him better. I was there. We treated him as well as he deserved.

I usually feel sorry for an unsuccessful coach....

May 26, 2019, 9:54 AM

but when he gave the "shame on you" speech at his out the door press conference, my feelings changed... he was given a program on a silver platter and all he did was run it down, .. lazy recruiter and stupid ### coach , just a con man ...and we had that #### wont spend a dime wimp AD , bobby robinson, who was too #### weak to call anybody out on anything, .. if I was the AD at that press conference and once he started that shame on you stuff, I would have stood up and said , thank you coach ,but that is enough, lets be on our way ..

Message was edited by: Lennon-McCartney®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 9:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield was dumb as a rock ]

Im a McCoy and I’ll never let it go .......??

May 26, 2019, 1:14 PM

????????????????

Nothing?

May 26, 2019, 5:04 AM

Nothing gets you angrier than what Hatfield did?

There are other things far more egregious, but this is your rant.

Did you get some help for this?

Sounds like you've been traumatized by this.

Maybe now that you're done with your rant, you can get on with your life.

The rest of the world has.

And so has Clemson football.

Re: Nothing?

May 26, 2019, 8:55 AM

LOL. Nothing...It's just an expression. This rant about Hatfield is only about football, not life.

Re: Nothing?

May 26, 2019, 9:44 AM [ in reply to Nothing? ]

nothing wrong with conjuring up a few negative memories from the past to help clearly illustrate how far we have come...especially in coaching and leadership ...

Re: Nothing? ....let him rant if he wants...

May 26, 2019, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Nothing? ]

the lesson I learned from Hatfield was how quickly a successful program can be knocked down to oblivion , and then how long it takes to rebuild, if in fact , it can be rebuilt, ...thank the good lord for terry don phillips … and dabo...

May 26, 2019, 7:02 AM

I agree 100%. Those that praise Hatfield and say “but he never had a chance”, are Also dumb as a rock. Period.

Your angst is misplaced

May 26, 2019, 7:38 AM

That ########### AD Bobby Robinson was hell bent to bring in anybody he could that would be the exact opposite of Danny Ford in every way.

Re: Your angst is misplaced

May 26, 2019, 8:58 AM

You're spot on about Robinson. He ended up being the best AD that SCU ever had.

Well, you can’t blame Bobby for that.

May 26, 2019, 10:07 AM [ in reply to Your angst is misplaced ]

We had a football coach who, despite being successful, had a reputation for cheating to win. We were already on probation once during his tenure, and the NCAA was investigating the program again when he was fired. Moreover, he publicly criticized the administration over not having a football dorm, despite being told repeatedly not to do that.

I don’t care how successful or likable a coach is, a university with Clemson’s standards can’t allow that to happen. It’s understandable that Clemson hired a coach who not only won, but did so with a reputation for running a clean program. It didn’t work out for him at Clemson, but it was not a bad hire at the time.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: Well, you can’t blame Bobby for that.

May 26, 2019, 10:49 AM

We had a football coach who, despite being successful, had a reputation for cheating to win. We were already on probation once during his tenure, and the NCAA was investigating the program again when he was fired. Moreover, he publicly criticized the administration over not having a football dorm, despite being told repeatedly not to do that.

I don’t care how successful or likable a coach is, a university with Clemson’s standards can’t allow that to happen. It’s understandable that Clemson hired a coach who not only won, but did so with a reputation for running a clean program. It didn’t work out for him at Clemson, but it was not a bad hire at the time.

You are drunk or high--- maybe both. It ranked right up there with Red Parker as the Worst hire EVER by Clemson---I guess you had to be there.

Why wasn’t it a good hire?

May 26, 2019, 1:53 PM

Hatfield did very well at Arkansas as their head coach, plus he ran a clean program. I don’t see the problem.

On paper, he was a much better hire than Ford, West, Bowden, or Dabo.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

May 26, 2019, 10:53 AM [ in reply to Well, you can’t blame Bobby for that. ]

Ken Hatfield was not a bad coach despite what some on here think of him. He did what he was hired to do, clean up the image of Clemson football and he did that although the record suffered a little. The two biggest things he did wrong was first of all he happened to be the guy who replaced Ford, 2nd...he was not a good fit. The football coach is a big part of the Clemson community where as Hatfield did not live in Clemson and did not even go to church in Clemson and that does not sit well in a place like Clemson. Also, lets be honest here...Jesus himself could have replaced Ford and Clemson fans would not have liked him.

Not only was there bad blood between Ford and Lennon, but Ford and Bobby Robinson were not exactly at the top of each others dinner invitation list either so Ford never had a chance. Ford was very loyal to Bill McClellan and was not happy with the Robinson hire to begin with.

This is why Clemson fans need to enjoy the ride we are on now. There has not been a situation where the BOT, The President, and Athletic department have all been on the same page since maybe RC Edwards stepped down in 79. It is a great place to be!

Synergy can be a wonderful thing!!

May 26, 2019, 12:01 PM

Completely disagree. If Jesus kept the option with all its variations developed during the Ford years, continued to play strong defense and committed to elite special teams he could have been just as popular, if not more, than Danny.

May 26, 2019, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: Well, you can’t blame Bobby for that. ]

So hiring a hapless incompetent like Hatfield was the solution to whatever was wrong with the program?? Hatfield wasn't a bad coach coach---he was horrible!! No way to "revise" that history.

May 26, 2019, 8:12 AM

I'll pile on a tad. From my own memory 1992 and 1993 had championship talent especially on defense. Dabo could've won big-time with those two teams. Honestly though following that position after Danny is a tough draw

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll say though, if you are wanting to talk about mismanaged

May 26, 2019, 8:30 AM

teams, the 1987 team may have been our best collective talent out of all of Ford's teams. That team should have not lost more than one game. Danny should not have lost to State or South Carolina.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: I'll say though, if you are wanting to talk about mismanaged

May 26, 2019, 9:10 AM

was 1987 that disastrous year where we tried to run wishbone against State twice and lost a fumble both times?

Hatfield was coach when I went to Clemson

May 26, 2019, 8:53 AM

Up the middle, up the middle, quick throw incomplete, punt. Repeat.

Re: Hatfield was coach when I went to Clemson

May 26, 2019, 9:02 AM

I went through the same thing as a student with Hootie. Our head cheerleader actually would shout out a cheer, up the middle, up the middle, pass, punt! I think Randy Jackson may have been his name. He was one of a kind.

May 26, 2019, 3:31 PM

I remember as a student this same cheer during Howard's last years ..... lol

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

May 26, 2019, 9:05 AM [ in reply to Hatfield was coach when I went to Clemson ]

that's what we said about Danny right before you got there***

May 26, 2019, 9:45 AM [ in reply to Hatfield was coach when I went to Clemson ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sure did.***

May 26, 2019, 1:48 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

May 26, 2019, 9:29 AM

I won't get into the Hatfield discussion but was the play when he let the time run out at halftime not at Ga Tech instead of NCSU ?

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 26, 2019, 9:56 AM

nc state , , stupidest play call ever in the history of Clemson football...

It definitely happened against GT too. I was at the game in

May 26, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield was dumb as a rock ]

ATL.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

He was constantly overthinking things and missing every ...

May 26, 2019, 9:42 AM

basic along the way ,...I remember that nc state game and the field goal, we were out of time outs, our field goal unit, led by all world chris Gardocki , had lined up on the sidelines ready to go in , the announcers had just said the one thing Clemson could not do was run the ball because there would not be enough time, and hatfield ran the ball up the middle ..before any observers had time for their jaws to drop , chris Gardocki looked at hatfield like , what did you do? , and shook his head, and started heading for the locker rooms ...when asked at the end of the game about the play , hatfield gave three explanations in addition to The play worked before 1 The defense didn't hurry up and get off the top of the pile 2 The refs didnt make the defense hurry up and get off the pile 3. the refs didnt call a time out when the defense didnt hurry to get off the pile, , ,it was the most nonsense I had ever heard … chris Gardocki left early for the pros , …. just a #### idiot , he could draw up a blueprint for failure for most every situation , true stubborn bonehead ..

I still have conflicting feelings about the Hatfield era. This is my take on the situation.
Danny Ford made some mistakes, I think he pushed the limits of recruiting rules. I also believe Max Lennon had a personal distaste for Coach Ford. I think it was virtually impossible for them to work together. Howard,Ford , and Swinney all have my respect.
I think Hatfield knew football. I don’t think he was the corrrct fit for Clemson.
I believe Lennon’s main objective was to change,clean up, the image of Clemson, not win football games.

That's pretty much it.

May 26, 2019, 2:00 PM

As for Danny pushing the limits, while it doesn't make it right, he was only doing what every other successful (and many not so successful) major football program was doing, and that's a fact. I know folks who were involved on different levels of it, and it was like the wild wild west. Flat out, blatant cheating was practically done openly at ALL big time football programs. Money, cars, girls, jobs, favors for family, academic fraud, it was all rampant, and it was business as usual. Some were certainly worse than others, but if you wanted to compete with the best, you had to push the limits at the very least.

- H. L. Mencken

May 26, 2019, 3:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Hatfield was dumb as a rock ]

He definitely scored on the "not win football games" part !! -:D

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I still have conflicting feelings about the Hatfield era. This is my take on the situation.
Danny Ford made some mistakes, I think he pushed the limits of recruiting rules. I also believe Max Lennon had a personal distaste for Coach Ford. I think it was virtually impossible for them to work together. Howard,Ford , and Swinney all have my respect.
I think Hatfield knew football. I don’t think he was the corrrct fit for Clemson.
I believe Lennon’s main objective was to change,clean up, the image of Clemson, not win football games.

May 26, 2019, 10:00 AM

Well said. The Hatfield apologists apply revisionist history at its worst. Thank you for your common sense.

Hatfailed or Hatefield?***

May 26, 2019, 10:02 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Coach Hatfiled was put in a No Win situation.

May 26, 2019, 10:50 AM

Any coach that followed Coach Ford would have had the same problem.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How do you keep Gamecocks out of your yard?
• Put up goal posts
What does a Gamecock grad call a Clemson Tiger grad in 2 years?
• Boss

May 26, 2019, 11:48 AM

I got information from reliable sources that Hatfield did not require players to work out in the weight room which, if true, resulted in numerous injuries.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember the Ark. fans rejoicing we hired him***

May 26, 2019, 1:01 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hatfield's record indicates otherwise.

May 26, 2019, 1:18 PM

He built Air Force and he turned Arkansas around. 5 top 15 finishes in the 7 years prior to Clemson. 73% winning percentage at Clemson. Following Clemson, he was in football #### at Rice, but did better than 7 of the 8 preceding coaches. Unless you count something more important that winning more than most of your competition, consistently over a long period of time, then he is as a matter of fact, a very good football coach. He was NOT a good football coach for Clemson, and certainly not at the time he was coach here, and those are important differences. Following Danny Ford, especially the way he went out, was a tough, if not almost impossible task. On top of that, his personality was just a horrible fit here. Good coach, wrong place, wrong time.

- H. L. Mencken

Replies: 41
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic