Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hard to Swallow Pills
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Hard to Swallow Pills

Jul 31, 2019, 9:13 AM

Most of the players don't care about the rivalry nearly as much as you do. Ever think that maybe Feaster didn't want to spend his one remaining year in a different state/environment? Yeah it kind of sucks that he got to wear a legend's number and never really lived up to it, but few people saw a 3-star coming in a year later and being as good as he is. And maybe Feaster is actually invested in the rivalry, but much like a Clemson grad student that goes to SC because they offer a better program for their major, Feaster is going to a school where he has a better chance to showcase his talents for a chance to set him up financially for the rest of his life. Some of you just can't seem to wrap your head around a kid putting aside something like a college football rivalry that, while fun, is ultimately meaningless in favor of his future.

He had 3 seasons of efficient play as a backup playing behind guys that just happened to be more talented, and the NFL scouts are pretty good at giving those guys a shot. The problem is those guys don't get drafted highly. They get drafted in the 5th-7th round. At that draft position, contracts rarely come with more than $200k in guaranteed money which may sound like a lot, but isn't nearly as life-altering as what 1st and 2nd round picks make. Yeah SC has a bad team, and Feaster could've had another efficient year as the 2nd or 3rd rushing option on a loaded offense and gotten drafted late by a team looking for a rotational guy to compete. Or he could go to a team that desperately needs a playmaker. At worst he's going to have a decent season and his draft stock will remain about the same. At best, he's going to show out as a feature back despite his support and shoot up the draft board.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well

Jul 31, 2019, 9:19 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: Hard to Swallow Pills

Jul 31, 2019, 9:31 AM

While it does seem like this had kind of run its course on the site and this just fans the flame. I think that was a well said sentiment.

Jul 31, 2019, 10:04 AM

Well said! But, I still wish he would have gone to another school!

Jul 31, 2019, 10:58 AM

So tired of these lectures. I’m sure some of his teammates are very supportive of his decision, but as a Clemson fan, it sucks. I’m sure you and the other Pro-Feaster, “Once a Tiger, always a Tiger” sunshine pumpers will have the same attitude when/if he’s the playmaker during the Clemson/U5C game. The Coots will love to see him in the end zone celebrating with his new Coot brethren against his old teammates.

Jul 31, 2019, 11:16 AM

Well said .... when he is celebrating with his Coot buddies in the end zone after a score against us, let's hear the "once a Tiger always a Tiger" chorus cheer for their Tiger Coot who as we have been told is just like one of our graduates going there for a law degree ..... yeah right!

I can honestly say that I will pull for Feaster just like I do every other Coot RB when I watch one of their games. I want them to fumble, miss a block, drop a pass, or get stopped behind the line of scrimmage. It isn't personal, it's just the way I watch their football games. If he doesn't make it in the NFL, I hope he finds a job making 300k a year, as I hope he is successful. I always liked him when he was here and that part has not changed.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^ This is an absolute fact ^^^ ... all fun & games until

Aug 1, 2019, 7:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Hard to Swallow Pills ]

... until Feaster helps SCAR beat Clemson.

Then favorable opinions of his decision will all go out the window.

Guaranteed!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2019, 11:45 AM

There's just one little problem in all that synopsis...

What makes you think he'll have a "decent" year? Will it be decent if he goes out hurt on game 3 vs Alabama because he doesn't have a good blocking line (anyone remember what happened to Francois with FSU's line vs Alabama)?? Let's not forget, they'll be going into this season mad from what we did to them last year...and now, here's a little ol' Clemson guy they can take it out on game 3, on an SEC East team.

And if he makes it through that game, are you sure he'll have a great showing vs Georgia's defense as well? Or how about Texas A&M and Kentucky, who both have a 5 streak on South Carolina? Florida??

It'll be interesting to see the final results of his draft stock being with them...really, it will. I'm not so sure going there is going to improve it.

Jul 31, 2019, 11:57 AM

I agree with this statement. It's not a guaranteed better season for him in Columbia than it would have been in Clemson. What if he has some trouble picking up the new play calling quickly and ends up the 2nd option there? What if the lack of a decent offensive line causes hesitancy/confidence issues early on because he is not used to poor support (confidence issues for either him or the coaches toward him) and the improved stats don't show up? It was a gamble - I hope it pays off for him personally but doesn't improve the fortune of the Gamecocks as a whole at all!

Jul 31, 2019, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to Swallow Pills ]

How many running backs do you see go down due to having a poor OL? Most major injuries are freak things were a knee or ankle or something gets twisted the wrong way. Quarterbacks sometimes get injured because they can be blindsided. Running backs are hit many many times per game between the number of times they’re tackled, and the blocks they have to make.

He’s had some injuries while at Clemson, and it’s not like those were from poor blocking. Also, nobody knows for sure how their OL is going to play this season.

Jul 31, 2019, 12:42 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to Swallow Pills ]

My point is that it's not going to get worse. Like someone else said, you can't compare a RB taking hits on run plays to a QB getting blindsided in the pocket, so an injury isn't really that much more likely. If he plays a full year, he'll have better numbers than he would've had at Clemson. Maybe the YPC won't be there, but there's almost no way his draft stock can fall unless he blows out his knee or something which is a freak injury that can happen any time. It can only go up.

Jul 31, 2019, 12:43 PM

His draft stock I mean.

Jul 31, 2019, 5:23 PM

I disagree. It is almost certain that his YPC numbers will drop. It is almost certain that his carries per game will go up (assuming no injuries). If he does not average over 100 YPG, and his YPC is cut in half, then his stock will go down. And the reason so many of us see an injury, has less to do with the line, but the tendency of Muschump to overplay his backs, which causes injury due to strain on the body.

If he had of stayed at Clemson for his last year, his YPC would have stayed similar. He would have been invited to the combine for that reason alone. His chance of shining at the combine would have been greater under that scenario than getting physically wasted at the coots the last year.

Maybe he will go into the season knowing that the money is on the line...and will show out like we all thought he could do from the beginning....but...he could also have done that at Clemson! If his effort/attitude doubled, Dabo would have played him more! But, from what many have reported here, he was timid at the line after his injuries...I would not expect that to get better with the coot d-line!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2019, 6:23 PM

Which running back has he overused? It's certainly not been at South Carolina, and does a defensive minded coach really get involved all that much in running back rotations?

As far as the rest, I think you're oversimplifying things. If for instance, their OL is as bad as everyone is saying it's going to be then NFL scouts will be smart enough to realize that, and factor that into his stats. As long as he still shows skills such as speed, strength, blocking ability, route running, following his blocks, etc... then his stock won't go down simply for having a lower YPC average from the prior year.

In fact, one thing I think people miss about the need for more playing time is scouts wanting to see that he has the ability to handle more than 5 carries per game and stay healthy, and stay strong throughout the season while keeping his speed, etc... It remains to be seen how he'll handle things, but in a way it's more impressive to average 4.5 yards per carry with 15 carries per game than it is to average 5.5 yards per carry on 5 carries per game.

Jul 31, 2019, 12:54 PM

Feel Better Now?

Jul 31, 2019, 2:24 PM

Josh Jacobs, Sony Michel and Joe Mixon were both early round picks as back ups for one. Also if you think the rivalry doesn't mean the same to the players then you're seriously fooling yourself or have never played sports.

Jul 10, 2022, 12:14 PM

Joe Mixon averaged 15.6 carries per game during his final season, and caught more passes in each of his 2 seasons than Feaster did in 3 years. Sony Michel averaged 11 in his senior season, and 12.5 carries per game for his career. Michel also caught more passes in his 2nd season alone than Feaster has for his entire career. Feaster averaged just 5 carries per game last year, and 5.8 carries for his 3 years at Clemson. Not exactly apples to apples comparisons.

Does anyone want to thank

Jul 31, 2019, 2:34 PM

him for helping the team win 2 National Championships?

Re: Does anyone want to thank

Jul 31, 2019, 7:23 PM

For sure ..... just like I want to thank Benedict Arnold for his great work work in capturing Fort Ticonderoga!

The NFL doesn't take RBs early in the draft anymore

Jul 31, 2019, 2:35 PM

Teams know they can get a solid back in the 4th or higher rounds.

Re: The NFL doesn't take RBs early in the draft anymore

Jul 31, 2019, 3:49 PM

Leonard Fournette, Christian McCaffrey, Dalvin Cook, Joe Mixon, Alvin Kamara, Kareem Hunt, D'Onta Foreman, James Conner, Saquon Barkley, Rashaad Penny, Sony Michel, Nick Chubb, Ronald Jones II, Derrius Guice, Royce Freeman, Josh Jacobs, Miles Sanders, Darrell Henderson, David Montgomery, Devin Singletary, Damien Harris, and Alexander Mattison all say "hi" from the top 3 rounds of the last 3 drafts.

My point remains. If he stayed here, his numbers would go down from last season, and the best he could hope for is a 5th-7th round flier by a deep scouting team who sees that he was an efficient backup on a loaded team. If he goes to SC and plays a whole year, there's no way his stock falls, there's a decent chance he jumps a couple of rounds, and there's a small chance he jumps up into the 2nd or late 1st.

Jul 31, 2019, 4:03 PM

Your "point" would be emphasized by showing me which one of those guys were backups, transferred to their rivals, then became NFL draft picks.

Josh Jacobs, Damien Harris, Miles Sanders Alvin Kamara, Joe Mixon, Sony Michel Nick Chubb, Royce Freeman, Fournette, and Guice were all part of multi back systems where they didn't play nearly as much so it actually hurts your point of being "the guy" is needed. Josh Jacobs, Joe Mixon, Alvin Kamara, and Sony Michel all were the 2nd backs in the system they played also and were drafted above the #1 as it's about skill set not statistics. If you think by any figment of the imagination a guy that has been injured 3 straight years can put together 1 full season he has a chance of going in the 1st round you're losing it. He would have to put together a heisman campaign. Put him behind a worse O-line in a conference that feeds off of stopping the run and there's a big chance his stock falls.

Jul 31, 2019, 4:53 PM

None of them, but except for Jacobs and Kamara, they all had at least one season where they got enough touches to go over 1000 yards, and several of them had at least one year where they were definitely the feature back. They may not all have been alone as "the guy", but they were all getting primary back touches. Feaster wasn't getting anywhere close to that this year unless Etienne or Dixon got injured. He only got 89 last year as the #2 guy in a 4-man backfield. With our passing game, he wasn't even going to top that unless Dixon turned out to be a fluke.

And I said the chance of a 1st round bump was small. It wouldn't take a Heisman campaign, but it would take 1500-2000 scrimmage yards and like 15TDs plus a great combine. Very low chance that happens, but you can't deny the volume he's going to get on such a weak team. And I'm not sure what you mean by bringing up injuries. He's played in every game the last 2 seasons. He got dinged in a game last season that he likely could've come back into if we'd remotely needed him, and he was back the next week.

He was going to be the 3rd RB option on a loaded passing team. He chose to stay in state and go be probably the best offensive player on a team with virtually nothing at the RB position. Rivalry aside, that makes a lot of sense.

Jul 31, 2019, 6:25 PM

Freshmen year he was held back from an off season surgery, sophomore year he was listed as the starter coming up and got banged up can't remember exactly what it was but it allowed ETN more carries and ETN did ETN, Junior year he had another off season injury on his knee and that's why he was listed as 3rd string and the injury carried into the season Elliot talked about it a few games into the season saying Feaster is getting healthy and he was impressed.

2000 yards and 15 TD's is a heisman like season aside from last year with the QBs being so dominant. Look at Derrick Henry's 2300 yard season which included playoffs so he was probably under 2000 when he won the heisman but I don't know for sure. 2,000 yards and 15 TDs you say but 2100 yards and 16 TDs won the Doak Walker last year and I find it hard to imagine Feaster will get close to that in the SEC next year but either way that's a "heisman like" season most seasons. Also he started last year as the #3 guy due to that knee injury.

Rivalry aside isn't real though because he had another option of VT being the premier back and being on a weaker offense as well.

Jul 31, 2019, 6:45 PM

I agree. He did everything he was asked of him by the coaches. He always carried and conducted himself with character and morals. He graduated with a Clemson degree which most of us, including myself do not have. He has never said one bad word about the University, coaches, admins or fans. He finished any obligation anyone feels he should have done. I hope he has a healthy, good and fun year EXCEPT when he plays against us. Kelly left running his mouth, Feaster has not and his teammates fully support him. We are going to have a great team this year, offensively perhaps better than last year. This young man had to make a financial decision for himself. It may not work out, but I would say it took a lot of courage to make this decision. Let’s talk about all of the new guys on campus and the ones stepping up to fill big shoes. There is so much to be proud of with Clemson and the football team that one of two players leaving shouldn’t matter. When Hunter Johnson left there was no uproar in fact myself and most people wished him great success and I hope he leads northwestern to a conference title. #Allin

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jul 31, 2019, 7:28 PM

Same would have happened to Feaster if he had transferred to Northwestern ...... or any other school but Scar.

Jul 31, 2019, 7:38 PM

Does anyone think Feaster is going to make a difference at Scar? His only hope is that his personal stats are better.

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Feaster is from Spartanburg. Instate.

Jul 31, 2019, 7:40 PM

He TOTALLY gets the Clemson/Carolina rivalry. I’m reading some between-the-lines bitterness in this decision. He could have picked a better program where his success might have translated into something notable on the national stage. The coots aren’t going to be a player on the big stage this year.

He made a mistake. He should have stayed with the team that would put him on the biggest stage. It was him the Clemson coaches picked to make plays against the top competition, not Lynn J. I’ve seen nothing to indicate Lynn J. would outplay a healthy Feaster this season.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feaster is from Spartanburg. Instate.

Jul 31, 2019, 8:01 PM

Who is to say he will start at u of sux. I haven't seen that said yet.
Feaster was highly ranked because he caught passes like a next level player. And his 100 m time was world class. But, pure RB skills, nah.
They had the one RB that left school, but I believe they rotate backs often as well.
How will the team chemistry be when he is "handed" the job over a guy they came to school with. Sweated with. Suffered with. Won't be fair to them and I can see it going south quick. Those guys were not looking at splitting time with TF. Thoughts?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“...but pure RB skills, nah...”

Jul 31, 2019, 8:35 PM

I guess that Swinney guy must have been a dummy to offer Feaster C.J. Spiller’s retired jersey because he lacked pure RB skills. smdh

A healthy Tavien Feaster would be an important weapon in our offense this year, ESPECIALLY if Amari Rodgers isn’t 100% early when we’re facing Texas A&M and Syracuse. I just don’t understand how people can be stupid enough to think that losing him doesn’t hurt our potential. It may not cost us a win, but in a close game having Feaster blocking and catching hot reads out of the backfield just might make the difference.

Re: “...but pure RB skills, nah...”

Aug 1, 2019, 1:19 AM

You quoted me, but still don't get it. SMH! Yeah, Feaster is a good player. I broke down why I feel he was so highly ranked earlier. Check the quote marks, "pure RB"! Dixon didn't get as many opportunities but on limited carries "showed what he could do"! That's how you get more playing time, not blaming everybody else.
I never said, he wasn't good to keep it simple. I just feel he wasn't a put one foot in the ground after identifying the hole and go. As said, the hole had to be wide open for TF. All the speed in the world can't help if you don't have "vision" as a RB.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feaster is not nearly as good as Dixon

Jul 31, 2019, 8:44 PM [ in reply to Feaster is from Spartanburg. Instate. ]

Dixon has quicker burst and hits the hole hard. Feaster needs a big hole and is slower to accelerate. He has run timid for most of his career. ETN and Dixon run fearlessly and it shows.

If Feaster was better than Dixon he wouldn’t be transferring

If Feaster is not nearly as good as Dixon...

Jul 31, 2019, 9:31 PM

Why was it Feaster in the game instead of Dixon against Bama? In one of the most important games in the history of the program, Dixon sat the bench and Feaster was in the game, making plays. Please explain that to me.

Feaster is a better blocker than Dixon at this point

Jul 31, 2019, 11:40 PM

Dixon is a much better runner though. I can’t wait to see him get more carries this year

Is he studying law or medicine?

Aug 1, 2019, 2:23 AM

That's the only excuse for attending USuCk, imo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic