Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Guessing he's not in college for the academics ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Guessing he's not in college for the academics ...

May 9, 2018, 8:32 AM

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaab/2018/05/07/ncaa-like-slavery-prison-system-knight-commission-kylia-carter/587519002/

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCAA needs to end 1 and done

May 9, 2018, 8:49 AM

set it up like either baseball or football.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Re: NCAA needs to end 1 and done

May 9, 2018, 8:57 AM

She doesn’t have to participate in the system. Slavery and prison are not optional participation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep, make it where they can go from H.S. straight to NBA

May 9, 2018, 9:01 AM [ in reply to NCAA needs to end 1 and done ]

again. She is right. Everyone doesn't belong in college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yep, make it where they can go from H.S. straight to NBA

May 9, 2018, 1:45 PM

since most high school prospects flop at a higher percentage rate than 1 and dones the system is correct because even if you only spend one year at the college plenty of colleges have the option to come back and get your degree even thought you might not have any remaining eligibility. Plus I can see kids who waste their amateurism trying to get drafted out of HS and dont get drafted at all.

Please tell everyone how the NCAA can end one & done

May 9, 2018, 9:03 AM [ in reply to NCAA needs to end 1 and done ]

Would love to hear this.

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

Re: Please tell everyone how the NCAA can end one & done

May 9, 2018, 9:05 AM

Easy... same rules as baseball. You either go straight out of highschool or you enroll in college and have to stay at least 3 years. Makes the most sense.

May 9, 2018, 9:08 AM

dont think that they will ever get 3 in basketball. wish they could. 2 years seems actually doable however.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2018, 9:11 AM [ in reply to Re: Please tell everyone how the NCAA can end one & done ]

The NCAA can’t force pro leagues to change their employment requirements.

Brad Brownell: more losses than any other coach in school history.

The NCAA doesn't determine this.

May 9, 2018, 9:34 AM [ in reply to Re: Please tell everyone how the NCAA can end one & done ]

The NBA does. He doesn't have to go to college. He can go to Europe. Or sit out a year. She's FOS.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

LoL, geeezus. You think the NCAA can make a

May 9, 2018, 10:01 AM [ in reply to Re: Please tell everyone how the NCAA can end one & done ]

Baseball , football or bball player stay in school?

If she's a hollerer, she'll be a screamer.
If she's a screamer, she'll get you arrested.

When's the last time a freshman or sophomore

May 9, 2018, 10:38 AM

went to the NFL? or MLB?

Somebody's honoring commitments in those sports, why not basketball?

Re: When's the last time a freshman or sophomore

May 9, 2018, 10:57 AM

No one is honoring commitment. It is following eligibility rules of the league. Maurice Clarrett and Mike Williams (USC WR) sued the NFL and lost. They wanted to be eligible after their sophomore year, but NFL requires 3 years after high school.

MLB for US born players is 3 years or 21 years old if you do not sign out of high school. The age part is why Chris Dwyer was drafted after his freshman year. He went to a prep school for a year after high school and was drafted after his true freshman year of college.

In the case of the NBA, they require a year after high school to be eligible.

well, they can't

May 9, 2018, 9:38 AM [ in reply to NCAA needs to end 1 and done ]

since its an NBA rule

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: NCAA needs to end 1 and done

May 9, 2018, 6:22 PM [ in reply to NCAA needs to end 1 and done ]

1 and done is not a NCAA rule. NBA came up with this brilliant rule all on their own.

She seems to forget the part where

May 9, 2018, 8:56 AM

he's getting free exposure to his future NBA career. If he knows he is going pro and there are no doubts, why does he need to be paid in college?

Academics is a part to the kids that will not make future pros which is a majority of the players in all of college sports. For the ones that are really good and have the potential to go pro, the education is the cherry on top as they hone their skills and perform in "auditions" for pro scouts each and every game.

Make it idjit proof and someone will make a better idjit.

The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they

May 9, 2018, 9:20 AM

are forced to play one year in college for "free".

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they

May 9, 2018, 9:27 AM

By whom and how are these kids "forced" to go to college?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they

May 9, 2018, 9:28 AM [ in reply to The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they ]

In no way, shape, or form are the forced to play in college for "free." They can go overseas and get paid to play professionally for a year, then come back to the NBA.

null

forced? lol

May 9, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they ]

they have the G leagues. they have overseas. Or they can just play league ball for a yr.

I wonder what gun they ncaa used to get him to go to college?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No1 forces any 1 in this country to play basketball.

May 9, 2018, 12:06 PM [ in reply to The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they ]

Her problem is with the NBA, not ncaa.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Hmmm. Perhaps forced was a poor choice of words. They

May 9, 2018, 12:58 PM [ in reply to The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they ]

can't go directly into the NBA like they could sans the one-and-done "rule".

The NBA is just protecting themselves against themselves - it's not an NCAA issue at all.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not playing "for free". Besides their scholarshi

May 9, 2018, 2:36 PM [ in reply to The one-and-done guys are already NBA bound. But they ]

they are getting many other benefits regular students aren't getting. Probably worth $50,000 or more for the year!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Guessing he's not in college for the academics ...

May 9, 2018, 8:59 AM

Could we not argue the same for high school sports? They don't even pay for athletes lunches or housing. What is this world coming to?

null

May 9, 2018, 9:16 AM

Free education, free meals, free housing, and a stipend. Don't forget about all of those 100 dollar hand shakes. They are getting more in benefits right out of high school than they would working a minimum wage job straight out of high school.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 9, 2018, 9:25 AM

Correct. I'm sure the slaves would have loved to have had any of those luxuries. She also has no knowledge of struggles of slaves since she is so far removed from that terrible time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No....they are getting more than the typical college grad

May 9, 2018, 2:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Guessing he's not in college for the academics ... ]

gets, just out of college! Cry me a river!!

She's kind of recommending my ground-breaking idea that

May 9, 2018, 9:22 AM

I had back in the '80s. Let them major in football, basketball, etc... I never really worked out the details though. Maybe tomorrow...

Re: She's kind of recommending my ground-breaking idea that

May 9, 2018, 9:56 AM

and those who don't make it to the pro level will have that degree to help them in life...right?

May 9, 2018, 9:29 AM

And the award for the dumbest person of the week goes to Kylia Carter.

null

May 9, 2018, 9:54 AM

Poor kid. Such a hard way to live.

If this were the old days and only white kids were playing

May 9, 2018, 9:57 AM

college sports without getting paid, no one would say anything about it or argue to pay them.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

a free Duke education isn't worth much these days

May 9, 2018, 2:06 PM

not to mention a try-out for the NBA

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lol. This argument is always so amazingly ignorant.

May 9, 2018, 3:24 PM

“The NCAA is evil because the NBA has a rule that says you have to have played a single year of college or be 19 to enter the draft and even though my son could just sit out a year, go to Europe or enter the G-League, he chose to get enormous exposure, the best training, and if he cared to (although I’m telling you he doesn’t) a great education. The total value is easily north of $60k per year but really much greater with the exposure I get when it comes time to sign endorsement deals as a pro. But, even though I freely chose this as my best option to make millions in exactly one year, I’m going to call it slavery because I do t get paid for the nine months that I have to be on a college campus being treated like a king.”

Pathetic. There’s no other word for it.

null

Slavery?? Prison?? What a joke!!!***

May 9, 2018, 3:38 PM

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic