Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Good to see CU great Fred Cone Saturday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1,742

Good to see CU great Fred Cone Saturday

Nov 18, 2019, 3:28 AM

Ring of Honor member, 93 year old Fred Cone, was at the Clemson/ Wake game Saturday. Cone was honored before the game and shown on TV watching from the stands during the game.

Cone doesn't appear to be 93 - maybe 10-15 years younger. A player Coach Howard called, "Maybe the best I ever had." Playing fullback and serving in all kinds of kicking duties, Cone set lots of records at the time at Clemson, including 1st to rush for over 2,000 yards in a career.

Drafted by Green Bay in the 3rd round, he was a Packer for 6 (7?) seasons, took 2 years off, then signed with the Cowboys their 1st year in 1960. After his release, he came back to Clemson to recruit & coach.

Cone was on the undefeated '48 & '50 Tiger teams & was instrumental in the Orange Bowl win over Mizzou in '51.

I grew up in Clemson, & Cone & family lived 3 doors down from us. One of Fred's son's was in my class all the way through. Great neighbors and classmates.

An Alabama native & neighbor of Howard's sister, Fred came to Clemson after serving in WWII because she told Coach she "thought he might make a good player." He had never played football before - but caught on pretty fast. Lucky for Coach Howard his sister had a great eye for talent.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had the honor of meeting him, while he was on our staff

Nov 18, 2019, 5:48 AM

during my time at Clemson in the 60's.

Very likable person and a first-class gentleman. Hence, was surprised and happy to see him during the game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good to see CU great Fred Cone Saturday

Nov 18, 2019, 7:52 AM

I used to see him around Clemson in the 70's and he still looked like he could play. I never saw him play in person but wish I could have

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Good to see CU great Fred Cone Saturday

Nov 18, 2019, 7:57 AM

I knew nothing about Clemson or Clemson Football before I started there in the mid-70's. But I had heard of Fred Cone from an old family friend from down in Mississippi.

Enjoy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_amjS0t5Bg4

Fido

Message was edited by: Phideaux®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's got great seats, too!***

Nov 18, 2019, 7:54 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 4
| visibility 1,742
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic