Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gonna be fun beating Kiffin in both Death Valleys
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

Gonna be fun beating Kiffin in both Death Valleys

Aug 15, 2018, 1:25 PM

in a few years.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's only one Death Valley.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:26 PM

HTH

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

There's two.

Aug 15, 2018, 1:36 PM

But football's only played in one.

HTH2

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no, there's one... in Clemson SC

Aug 15, 2018, 3:37 PM

LSU was referred to Deaf Valley and then Death Valley AFTER Clemson dubbed Memorial Stadium as Death Valley due to the proximity of Cemetery Hill in the '50's and then cemented by Coach Frank Howard instituting the rubbing of the rock from California's Death Valley as told in this LSUNow.com article from 2012...
http://www.lsunow.com/sports/football/which-tiger-team-owns-the-real-death-valley/article_e9576f3a-180a-11e2-bd8e-0019bb30f31a.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

i think he means the other one in California ******

Aug 15, 2018, 5:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: no, there's one... in Clemson SC

Aug 16, 2018, 1:52 AM [ in reply to no, there's one... in Clemson SC ]

Been searching for years as to the exact dates on when we chose Death Valley. Early 50's is the most reported. But articles on when LSU did vary wildly, and are quite vague. I've seen some reports claiming the 60s but some articles even say the 80s. Not a one gives DV to the Bayou Crampers before us.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

nope, there is no date attributable to them before us

Aug 16, 2018, 4:04 PM

this is the story that I learned when I was enrolled in the '80s but this is from Wikipedia:

"The late Lonnie McMillian, former football coach at Presbyterian College told sports writers in 1948 that he had "to take his team up to Clemson and play in Death Valley" where they rarely scored or gained a victory.[5]

Clemson Head Coach Frank Howard began using the nickname "Death Valley" for the stadium in the 1950s."

Of course, the rubbing of the rock that was gifted to Coach Howard from Death Valley National Park cemented the name and reputation, so, the Bayou Bengals can stick it where the sun don't shine...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic