Gonna be fun beating Kiffin in both Death Valleys

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 1:25 PM

in a few years.

There's only one Death Valley.

[4]
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 1:26 PM

HTH

2018 purple level member

If pigs are so smart, why do 66% of them use weak and inferior materials during construction?

There's two.

[2]
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 1:36 PM

But football's only played in one.

HTH2

no, there's one... in Clemson SC

[1]
Posted: Aug 15, 2018 3:37 PM

LSU was referred to Deaf Valley and then Death Valley AFTER Clemson dubbed Memorial Stadium as Death Valley due to the proximity of Cemetery Hill in the '50's and then cemented by Coach Frank Howard instituting the rubbing of the rock from California's Death Valley as told in this LSUNow.com article from 2012...
http://www.lsunow.com/sports/football/which-tiger-team-owns-the-real-death-valley/article_e9576f3a-180a-11e2-bd8e-0019bb30f31a.html

2018 white level member

i think he means the other one in California ******

Posted: Aug 15, 2018 5:39 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: no, there's one... in Clemson SC

[1]
Posted: Aug 16, 2018 1:52 AM

Been searching for years as to the exact dates on when we chose Death Valley. Early 50's is the most reported. But articles on when LSU did vary wildly, and are quite vague. I've seen some reports claiming the 60s but some articles even say the 80s. Not a one gives DV to the Bayou Crampers before us.

military_donation.jpg

nope, there is no date attributable to them before us

Posted: Aug 16, 2018 4:04 PM

this is the story that I learned when I was enrolled in the '80s but this is from Wikipedia:

"The late Lonnie McMillian, former football coach at Presbyterian College told sports writers in 1948 that he had "to take his team up to Clemson and play in Death Valley" where they rarely scored or gained a victory.[5]

Clemson Head Coach Frank Howard began using the nickname "Death Valley" for the stadium in the 1950s."

Of course, the rubbing of the rock that was gifted to Coach Howard from Death Valley National Park cemented the name and reputation, so, the Bayou Bengals can stick it where the sun don't shine...

2018 white level member

Replies: 6  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Syracuse
FOR SALE: I have the following tickets for the Clemson vs Syracuse game. Prices listed are per ticket. I am lo...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Football ]
Start New Topic
1428 people have read this post