Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Getting everyone's best, esp. first 2 series on either side
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 931

Getting everyone's best, esp. first 2 series on either side

Sep 25, 2018, 7:49 AM

I've noticed that for the last two years or so, since we've been expected to in the playoff picture from Day 1 of the season, that teams are coming out of their locker room fired up to 140% for the first couple of series on both sides of the ball.

I expect that at least partly explains the "slow start". The first 10 minutes or so of the 1st quarter look bad for us because that's as good as the other side can possibly play. I also think coaching staff knows this and calls very conservative plays on offense--if they work great! but if they don't we're just waiting until the other team returns to earth. KB "managing" through the first few series...his 2nd rotations have tended to be tons better than the first two series, and Lawrence has not always hit on his first two series. But after those, look out, the only thing that has slowed us down are our own stupid mistakes.

Once the adrenaline wears off and our D-line starts knocking people over on their way to the quarterback and the RBs start running through the line and the QB and WR start to click and make a DB miss...it's over and we bring in our 2s and 3s.

Garbage yards given up and garbage scores may drop us from 2nd to 3rd or 4th or maybe lower because of the optics of UGA and Bama running up the score 2 more TDs than Dabo would before finally letting their own 2s onto the field, but the 2s and 3s playing early and often will pay off.

Paul Johnson knows that we could have scored 4 more TDs and held them to under 100 yards of total offense if we'd kept playing starters. Putting TL and the offense back out on the field late after Tech scored reminded them of that. At least some of the pollsters know that too.

Why doesn't Bama get this effect too? Partly because we've screwed up with Syracuse and Pitt and Ga Tech over the last few years. Teams come out fired up to beat Bama too--Ole Miss early TD--but in their minds they don't really think they can beat Bama, esp. once the bubble pops. Teams still think they have a chance against us...we've got to remove that notion!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Getting everyone's best, esp. first 2 series on either side

Sep 25, 2018, 7:56 AM

Everyone knows you can't go higher than 110%

Fake News

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Getting everyone's best, esp. first 2 series on either side

Sep 25, 2018, 8:03 AM

Well, we keep playing at 110% for the whole game, but they push past redline at 140% then blow out their engines.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

that and the conservative offense we ran all last year

Sep 25, 2018, 8:41 AM

Make teams feel like we are beatable. we let teams hang around that had no business being on the field with us.

Bama pretty much does it the opposite way. There is an impending sense of doom until they are up by 21-28 points. They like to step on opponents neck and make them quit.

I am confident the offense under TL is going to put a lot more pressure on the other team. I'm really looking forward to the rest of this season.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 931
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic