Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 1

Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more....

Dec 17, 2016, 3:07 PM

confident I am becoming. This is going to be my longest Scouting Report by far when it's finished (need the official depth charts before I'll share it) but I had a couple pieces I need to share:

The 4 toughest games that OSU has played this year were against Michigan (30-27 2OT, Michigan State (17-16) , Penn State (21-24), and Wisconsin (30-23 OT) (NOTE - I'm not including the Oklahoma game in these stats, that's for the actual scouting report, but it gets even better when I include that game's info). The following stats I mention are from these specific games:

1) They average 42.7 points per game on the season (pretty good), but what about in the games above? 24.5 points/game, and it took them going to OT+ to get over the 23 point mark. The point totals in the 4 games at the end of regulation for them? 23,21,17,17 respectively.

2) Barrett has been sacked 24 times on the season, yet in these 4 games alone he's been sacked 19 times. Do I really need to bring up how excited our D-line should be after watching the film?

3) Barrett's passing stats during these 4 games? 70/126 (55.6%), 681 yards (170.25 per game average), 3 TDs (total), 2 Picks.

4) OSU has 19 interceptions on the season (with 7 returned for TDs). What about in these 4 games? 4 total with a long return of 22 yards (1 TD in the UM game). When the competition improved, their secondary is no where near as good as they are talked about.

So if you're getting concerned, relax. Be confident, because the best offense they played was OU, and OU shredded them with the passing game (TOs by Mayfield are why the gap was as big as it was).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more....

Dec 17, 2016, 3:13 PM

When I see their secondary play I see a very disciplined one rather than a ball hawking one. They have made some very poor QBs pay for very poor throws.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 3:19 PM

They haven't played a team that is as deep as we are at WR. Not even close. They were in a lot of one on one coverages in the OU game and got exposed until Mayfield starting throwing consistently off his back foot and making dumb decisions. OU left a lot of points on the field that game too.

Yea ou didnt shred them passing. They threw for 226 yds.

Dec 18, 2016, 10:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

Osu rushed for 270 yds.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 3:28 PM

I have said it since the final rankings came out... I was more nervous about playing Louisville than Ohio State. Heck, more nervous about Va Tech...

Dec 17, 2016, 3:48 PM

They are a very solid team but you are correct. They are not that great against top competition. While they do know how to win the close games I will give them that. We should be able to beat them easily if we play our ball and I cannot wait to watch our O light it up and our D get out there and eat!!

Dec 17, 2016, 6:41 PM

"They are not that great against top competition".
Neither is Clemson. OSU beat 3 top 10 teams this season. If you guys arent nervous about OSU how come you keep repeating the same #### over and over again lol.

Dec 17, 2016, 7:05 PM

Fact of the matter is this. I saw you struggle against Northwestern at home and you struggled against Michigan State. You have been as up and down this year as Clemson has. I look at it like this, we have advantages at QB and on the defensive front. If we play up to potential, I feel pretty good about coming out on top. Should be a great game

Prep...

Dec 18, 2016, 10:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

H.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 3:53 PM

The only part that has me worried a tad bit is that Urban is a dang good coach .
He will have his team ready and this will be the best coached team we have seen.
On the field we have the 2 biggest advantages 1 at the most important position QB and our players have been there and done this before.

Message was edited by: badb®

Dec 17, 2016, 3:57 PM

I agree. The offensive firepower just isn't there. They really only have three weapons on offense: JT Barrett, RB Mike Weber, and WR/RB/KR Curtis Samuel, who kinda reminds me of what Stanford does with McCafferty but maybe not so much. Whatever, though, you'll see him in the slot, you'll see him at the flanker spot, you'll see him in motion, you'll see him in the backfield. You'll see him returning kicks, banging the drum with the band, and singing the National Anthem prior to kickoff. You get the idea. They use him. A lot. And he's by a bunch their biggest playmaker and most explosive guy.

The problem is they just don't have much in the way of a traditional vertical passing game. They want to throw everything sideways and pound the football on you. Urban Meyer being Urban Meyer, they can do all that in 34 flavors but at the end of the day if you can stay disciplined and not let the eye candy fool you, you can still get away with crowding the LOS and playing everybody within about 12 yards of the line because they just aren't adept at going over your head. They have also not seen a passing game or offense remotely like ours. They may limit it, some, but Deshaun and Company are going to get some yards and points, there's just no getting around that.

Ohio State, IMHO, was a much better team last year; they just didn't get the bounces and wound up out of the playoffs. They got those bounces this year...with a less-experienced, lesser team. They're a very good team; they have some shortcomings that last year's team did not.

my concern is safeties who have a sweet tooth for eye candy

Dec 17, 2016, 9:25 PM

and I'm not sure we've really improved in that department all year.

I also don't think we're even reasonably good at covering a TE or back out of the backfield,

and Urban will have that package ready to go come game-time, no doubt.

Urban took a 2nd rate college QB, who is now a flanker in the NFL, against the best dang D we've ever had just three years ago,

and still scored 35 against us....

so, I think they're going to get their points against our D this year, with little doubt.

We still win, though, with an O that puts up well over 40 on their D.

Re: Lack of offensive firepower

Dec 19, 2016, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

This is very good analysis, quozzel. Exactly what I would say about Ohio State's offense, and I've seen every play of every game.

Dec 17, 2016, 4:34 PM

My concern has been the same every week. That is, will Clemson do what it needs to do for success? Not a single opponent has concerned me this year, but Clemson staying out of its own way has been of concern. That is, will they be able to minimize penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, missed tackles, and blown coverages?

Offensively, I love our QB and WRs, but I would feel a whole lot better if I knew that our running game could deliver if the passing game was off. That comment is not a knock in any way on any of our players. I just do not view the running game as a strength.

Defensively, my main concern is penalties in pass coverage and blown coverages.

These things being said, the concerns are small for me. I'm thrilled we're in the play-off, and I am hopeful that we're going to be able to see our team for eight more quarters.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Dec 17, 2016, 5:31 PM

Glad to see some of you guys finally getting it about this game. It's practically Clemson vs Oklahoma part three. Tigers by 20+

Dec 17, 2016, 5:48 PM

Not to make you think your efforts are in vain, but lemme shorten your analysis for all the "gents" here.

Ohio State is in the Big 10.

The Big 10 sucks and has sucked since I was born. Shoot, since before that. Since desegregation.

It is a popular conference due to the millions of Archie Bunkers across the midwest (and the retirees in the south) who for some reason enjoy watching that horsepoop that yankees call football.

Ohio State is often the cream of that crap crop, the best turd in the bowl, so they get the rankings perks, and sometimes it pans out for them.

Usually not though, and that's the case now.

Dec 17, 2016, 5:59 PM

Aside from their destruction of Wisconsin in the Big10 title game, the OSU team from two years ago didn't look all that special. But they got their #### together at the right time.

I'd be a bit cautious on looking at this as a game where Clemson just shows up. The only teams we have beaten by more than a touchdown or so has been the ###### ones.

The horrors / struggles against FSU and UL remain in my mind. This isn't BC, 'Cuse, or C0ckland Community College.

I look for this game to mirror closely the 42-35 VT game where both teams running up and down the field and Clemson is hopefully just able to stay ahead. And just like these other big games, we get out in front and hold on.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 7:11 PM

Overconfident foolery on here folks. I'd consider y'all overconfident if this were an Alabama forum........but it's Clemson. It would be nice if the tigers actually won the playoff once before riding in on the high horse y'all are on. Pump the brakes folks, really.

Well, this is our forum, and we do like to discuss OUR team

Dec 17, 2016, 9:08 PM

which is 2-0 against yours and 1-1 in the Playoff.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Dec 17, 2016, 7:11 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

Overconfident foolery on here folks. I'd consider y'all overconfident if this were an Alabama forum........but it's Clemson. It would be nice if the tigers actually won the playoff once before riding in on the high horse y'all are on. Pump the brakes folks, really.

Dec 17, 2016, 7:19 PM

Overconfident because I think we are good enough to win? We will be the toughest challenge you've had all year, the same is true for us.

How exactly do you see this game game going? Do you have a score prediction?

Overconfident in my opinion is anyone thinking this game gets out of hand on either side. I expect a close one

Dec 17, 2016, 6:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

OU shredded them? Ohio state D allowed 17 points to Oklahoma. They are a #5 in total offense. OSU embarrassed OU at their field at night.

Dec 17, 2016, 7:01 PM

You gave up 400 yards and 24 points. OU is nothing, we have dominated them as well.

Dec 17, 2016, 7:11 PM

Joe Mixon return TD.

Dec 17, 2016, 9:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

like I said in my other post, OU shredded OSU between the 20s. Go watch the film, a pick 6, missed FG (on their first drive), and a dropped TD made it a very different game.

Dec 17, 2016, 9:56 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

> OU shredded them? Ohio state D allowed 17 points to
> Oklahoma. They are a #5 in total offense.

No, more like 24.

This clown so reminds me of when Wisconsin "played" TCU in the Rose Bowl.
This year, OU scored more on that heralded Ohio State defense than they did while getting their butts beat by Houston, who in turn got whipped my Navy and the Aztecs.
But yeah. Oklahoma scored the same on the mighty Ohio State as a mediocre Penn State did while beating "the OSU". A bit less than half what Pitt did while beating Penn State.

This isn't 1963. Your conference sucks at football.

You don't need to continue making an Archie Bunker jackwagon of yourself. Thank our superior players for the honor of being on the same field, and thank our fans for being able to retire on our low-snow land.

Dec 17, 2016, 10:06 PM

7 were scored on special teams so technically only 17 on the D.

The game was over 5 minutes after the half. OU didn't really show interest in playing after that.

Dec 17, 2016, 10:14 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

The acc is trash. Big ten east is the best division in college football this year period.The most ranked teams. Who you going to put infront? The sec? Nope, the acc? God no. Wac-12? Big12? Sorry but stop being so butthurt we beat bama in the playoffs and won a title and your sorry ### tigers couldnt

Dec 17, 2016, 11:53 PM

OB still hurt?

#hurtinbuckaroo

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Where are the admins on this forum?

Dec 18, 2016, 9:20 AM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

Isn't it time to take out the trash?

Dec 17, 2016, 10:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

It's hard to say the Big 10 sucks since they couldn't be any more similar to the ACC. In the BCS+ era, both conferences have two national titles, won by a single team. The ACC is 62-73 in bowls while the Big 10 is 60-74. The ACC holds an 8-7 edge in bowl wins against the B1G.

The Big 12 and the PAC 12 both have better bowl winning percentages than both of these conferences during the same timeframe, FWIW.

Suc-

Dec 18, 2016, 10:38 AM [ in reply to Re: Gents, the more scouting I do of OSU the more.... ]

cinct....+1.

Dec 18, 2016, 9:31 AM

Indeed, Clemson should beat a 9-1-2 Ohio State team.

Dec 19, 2016, 11:03 AM

Mayfield completed 17/32 passes, threw two picks, and had a 23.4 QBR. Not exactly "shredding" IMO

Replies: 33
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic