Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Gamecock professor sends Letter to ACLU about Clemson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 1

Gamecock professor sends Letter to ACLU about Clemson

Aug 19, 2015, 1:47 PM

He cited the allegations at Illinois and a team rule at Clemson that prohibits football players from posting on social media during the season. Along with two colleagues, he sent a letter this week to the American Civil Liberties Union about Clemson’s policy.

“The whole situation in college sports is a 15-round prize fight,” Southall said. “The union was only a piece of that.”

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/08/19/sports/ncaafootball/advocates-for-college-athletes-dig-in-for-long-battle.html?_r=1&ref=todayspaper

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Looking for his 15 minutes of fame

Aug 19, 2015, 1:51 PM

By jumping on a wobbly bandwagon about "justice" for football players. Pitiful that academics are more politicians these days than studious.

He obviously ignores the fact that Dabo

Aug 19, 2015, 2:06 PM

put this issue to a player vote, so it is actually a self-imposed, democratically decided ban on social media. He was correct on one comment as he reports that players need someone to speak for them... if they are Gamecocks and have names like "Ulric". Maybe USUC would ban Twitter if Spurrious put it to player vote.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

them big shot union heads hate it..

Aug 19, 2015, 1:54 PM

that they got rejected at making some money off of college students

Re: Gamecock professor sends Letter to ACLU about Clemson

Aug 19, 2015, 1:55 PM

I thought "The Football Team" voted not to use social media.

Social media???? Maybe, he should instead send one

Aug 19, 2015, 1:57 PM

to the ACLU about those August two-a-days. August two-a-days in HS back in the mid-70s were the worst thing I ever went through. But aren't you kind of giving up certain rights when you sign a scholarship to play football?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2015, 2:08 PM

So, a team rule that was initiated by players in 2011 is an ACLU problem? I guess the South Carolina fan base has seen the product and knows the actuality of not reach a bowl a reality....

Aug 19, 2015, 2:13 PM

Maybe he ought to take a look at his own program's policy there first

The Cokcs have gone full potato.***

Aug 19, 2015, 2:32 PM

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

Is this guy saying that social media usage is a right? ******

Aug 19, 2015, 2:39 PM

null

No, he's saying it's the kind of thing a union...

Aug 19, 2015, 3:20 PM

would bargain for. But, to me, that's exactly why college sports shouldn't be unionized. Policies like these are about team cohesiveness and avoiding distractions. Nearly all social media is completely non-essential, so banning it during the season doesn't deprive the people on the team of anything they really need. If the team is unionized, you'd basically have 18 year olds deciding whether or not social media was important for team cohesiveness rather than the coaches- the inmates would be running the asylum.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But he wrote a letter to the ACLU about it?

Aug 19, 2015, 3:25 PM

Yes, Unions would be a disaster for everyone involved. Well, except for the Unions, of course. And that's all the Unions ultimately care about.

null

The ACLU provides essentially free attorneys

Aug 19, 2015, 3:27 PM

That's probably the biggest reason he wrote that org.

But you only need to make one more logical step

Aug 19, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to No, he's saying it's the kind of thing a union... ]

that no player either disagrees or feels like they aren't represented in this situation to realize this is just a get attention ploy. The real circumstances have little to do with his plea to the ACLU. You might conclude he thinks he "knows better" about what the players should think and do. That is a fundamental part of modern union leadership. If you were to poll many unions anonymously I doubt you would find most of their actions were agreed to by the members. And the fact that a professor is doing this gives me even more reason to believe it has little to do with any one or all of the Clemson team mates and everything to do with his personal political agenda. He wants to use law to shape the league. It's the only way for outsiders like him to have any power to influence it. And every professor in any cultural or social field I've met in the last 15 years wants to tinker with society. It's their entire aim. Not enlightenment.

freakin' dumb@$$.

Aug 19, 2015, 2:40 PM

no wonder he does his professing in chickenville.

That and balloongate-what kind of hippies are running cootU?***

Aug 19, 2015, 3:45 PM

That guy used to be at UNC

Aug 19, 2015, 4:13 PM

and was involved in getting a graduate transfer baseball player from Alabama enrolled despite him missing the deadline to apply for grad school.

Aug 19, 2015, 7:20 PM

Then why is OK to ban cell phone usage in school? Don't those poor downtrodden high-schoolers have a "right" to use their phones as they please?

They're paying to go to school, while athletes are being paid to go.

Doesn't FSU ban it during the season? Spurrier did 4-5 yrs

Aug 19, 2015, 7:42 PM

ago, along with several other coaches. Why is it that only Clemson is getting the negativity from it?

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Yes, FSU does it.

Aug 19, 2015, 8:35 PM

This is all about lazy journalists having to actually WORK for a story. THEY are the ones fueling this.

Since when did "Social Media"...

Aug 19, 2015, 7:58 PM

...become a natural law "civil right" in the first place??

Hmmmm?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It is ok, I send a letter to PITA every year

Aug 19, 2015, 8:08 PM

and I hate PITA, but one day someone will get it that makes it a pain in the ### for that sorry fan base.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2015, 8:31 PM

Him doing that is the REAL trouncing on the civil liberties of the players by saying that they can't make such a decision on their own, even by vote. They(the players)VOTED whether or not to allow social media during the season. Overwhelmingly, they, the players, agreed that social media was not a good idea during the season. They, the players, have that right. The University didn't ban it. The coaches didn't ban it. The players THEMSELVES did.

My God, what is the world coming to? Even coot professors are idiots. WOW!
The ones whining about this "no social media" VOTE....by PLAYERS... are the ones who are REALLY infringing on the rights of others.

Aug 19, 2015, 9:15 PM

Looks like most of that group is looking at better addressing serious injury protocol, etc.

Then the cack in the room sees a Twitter blackout as an equivalent?

Who lets them speak? And why?

Aug 19, 2015, 9:47 PM

Letting coots speak violates the civil rights of every neuron in my brain. lol.

Aug 19, 2015, 10:04 PM

The gamecock professor needs to tell the #### players that they should shut up and also the old ball coach and not worry about clemson

Aug 19, 2015, 10:20 PM

It'll do no good. Coots have worried about Clemson for the 40 years that I've been a Tiger fan. We live in their heads rent free. Just go look at some of their boards. They have a game coming up with the Tarholes, yet they have "Tiger brain." (Shhhh don't tell them that, they think it's already Nov).

I've seen Tarhole fans post on their boards about the upcoming game on Sept 3 in Charlotte actually trying to discuss football, then 50% of the responses to that post involve something about Clemson and Dabo and recruiting conspiracy theories. They are, and always have been, pathetic. The most idiotic fan base in CFB.

And then this happens...

Aug 19, 2015, 10:05 PM

https://twitter.com/dawnstaley/status/634179171376308224

Props to Tiger Woods
Ambassador [6862]
Joined 5 years ago
TigerPulse: 100%
for finding this.

I wonder if the 'Prof.' will resend a new complaint after he's firmly established his position

Clemson

Wow. Just Wow. Hypocrite much, professor?***

Aug 19, 2015, 10:23 PM

Replies: 28
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic