Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For the record, I hate breast cancer awareness getting
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 44
| visibility 1

For the record, I hate breast cancer awareness getting

Oct 5, 2013, 10:45 PM

involved in football. A whole 5 weeks of pink on football players again. Looks stupid.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: For the record, I hate breast cancer awareness getting

Oct 5, 2013, 10:51 PM

100% agree.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

breast cancer awareness didn't get involved in football....

Oct 5, 2013, 10:53 PM

football got involved in breast cancer. A male should not be that insecure with his manhood and not want to wear pink. I would think that a high % of these guys are wearing pink in honor of a mother, aunt, sister or other relative or friend.

Totally agree.... now if you want to bring

Oct 5, 2013, 10:55 PM

Southern Cal cheerleaders around wearing pink I will be happy.

Last year I believe Dabo said several players' mothers

Oct 5, 2013, 10:59 PM [ in reply to breast cancer awareness didn't get involved in football.... ]

had breast cancer. I have no problem with them honoring their mothers by wearing something pink.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

W(t)F ever man...., poisonings, heart disease

Oct 5, 2013, 11:02 PM [ in reply to breast cancer awareness didn't get involved in football.... ]

and traffic accidents kill more people than breast cancer. Football doesnt have awareness months for these. Nothing more than a marketing ploy to attract a few female viewers. All Cancer sucks....why does breast cancer get more pub than lung or colon cancer?

Re: W(t)F ever man...., poisonings, heart disease

Oct 5, 2013, 11:15 PM

Breast cancer awareness was brought about because so little research and doctors not screening enough for breast cancer, just like heart attacks in women. Since breast cancer awareness many lives have been saved. You can say that more people are killed in auto accidents, but is there a way to detect you are going to have a wreck? Well, there is for breast cancer. Stats show that 1 in 8 women will develop breast cancer. That is a high % and if it can be detected early many lives are saved. Poisonings can not be detected beforehand, just as a wreck can not be detected, so those comparisions have no player in the game.

BTW, men can get breast cancer, too

Pretty sure women are not watching football just because of the pink.

Plus, it the campaign reminds just one female to get that mammogram and saves her life,,,,isnt't that worth it?

Sport, ANY opportunity to speak out against cancer

Oct 5, 2013, 11:24 PM [ in reply to W(t)F ever man...., poisonings, heart disease ]

ALL types of cancer, any opportunity to do ANYTHING to raise money and awareness of cancer---ALL types of cancers is reason reflect and to celebrate the invaluable work being done and the volunteers and those who donate .

Football IS a man's sport, but to quote the late, great, "Hardest Working Man In Showbizness: "Its a mans world, but it wouldn't be nothin' without a woman or a girl."

For the life of me, I can't understand anyone or any reason finding some sort of negativity about raising money and awareness for such an invaluable cause.......

And for the record, my wife of 27 years underwent a lumpectomy about 15 years ago and it scared the crap out of me and and everyone around us

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So then make every game disease awareness themed?***

Oct 5, 2013, 11:47 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Insofar as the good works done towards ending the

Oct 5, 2013, 11:50 PM

suffering and death...and easing the plight of folks with medical issue is, IMO, a ton better than the incessant, mind-numbing,horrible commercials

It doesn't do any good. It's a brilliant profit scheme.***

Oct 5, 2013, 11:59 PM

Re: So then make every game disease awareness themed?***

Oct 6, 2013, 12:15 AM [ in reply to So then make every game disease awareness themed?*** ]

So if you can't support every good cause, you should therefore support no good cause?? Your logic is tragically flawed my friend. Lives will be saved because of this effort. It is totally worth it.

Lives will not be and have not been saved. That's the trick.

Oct 6, 2013, 12:29 AM

It doesn't make a difference, but convincing people that it does helps the profits roll in.

Other moments lose money to the "coolest" ones. And the "coolest" causes are always the ones that waste the most money with marketing and millionaire CEO's.

Re: Lives will not be and have not been saved. That's the trick.

Oct 6, 2013, 12:41 AM

Encouraging women to have regular mammograms SAVES lives. Forget about the money part of it and your personal politics for a second. If one lady watched a game today and decides to proactively get a mammogram because she saw a player wearing pink, then it's worth it. I think MLB does the same thing with prostate cancer each summer. It's about awareness in this case, not money. And, I don't dispute charities often time can be corrupt or have misplaced priorities, but that doesn't mean we should abandon very legitimate causes like this.

Go Tigers, save the ta-tas.

A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms.

Oct 6, 2013, 12:59 AM

If they diverted 50% of their product marketing investment into actual informative commercials that would make a small difference. But if you notice there is A LOT less information and a lot more gimmick and marketing.

But nobody forces them to stop because they have the ultimate shield against criticism. Exactly what you say about "one individual." Why save one woman when money could be better spent to save maybe ten people? That's the whole point.

If wearing pink actually made a real difference, more than other investments, then I would support it.

And there is a huge gap between what I am advocating (ending the pink gimmick) and completely abandoning cancer fighting. People are wasting their money when more people could be helped WITHOUT these gimmicks.

Re: A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:11 AM

Dude, you can't believe everything you read. Your point I replied to was a sarcastic "So then make every game disease awareness themed?" to which I pointed out that would be ridiculous. People and organizations are free to choose the charities which are important to them. And yes, having the campaign out there - be it a poster or pink shoes on a player - reminds women to get checked. Does pretty much everyone know by now in the developed world that women should get mammograms? Yes. Do they all do it? No. So reminders such as this are a good thing. You can't fix everything in the world, but gosh that shouldn't stop us from trying to help people.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:15 AM

See how you tried to frame it? "Stop us from helping people." That's a completely dishonest, BS way to approach this topic. My entire point is that you are throwing money away and helping less people of all ailments by centralizing so much "charity" money into campaigns with so much "overhead." Stay with me here, I'm saying by supporting movements like this you are helping less people than you would be otherwise. A woman reminded to get a mammogram could die of another disease/problem that is underfunded or has less attention because of all of the waste involved with the "cooler" diseases.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:20 AM

I'll ignore the condescending "stay with me here" and again revert back to your point of we should make every game about a different disease. You can' fight every battle. It does save lives, you claim it doesn't. Factually you are wrong. Is there a better charity out there? Probably. Maybe the ones buying mosquito nets for kids in Africa would save more lives. I'm not the expert here. But saying breast cancer awareness campaigns don't save lives is being dishonest. It's that simple.

Re: A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms

Oct 6, 2013, 1:29 AM

You are committing a logical fallacy to assume that more money given to breast cancer marketing equals helping more people. It doesn't. If Susan G Komen spends tens of millions of dollars SUING other cancer research organizations for financial reasons, then supporting Susan G Komen is directly hurting other foundations set up to help people. It's not as simple as you make it. Reality usually isn't simple.

Re: A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms

Oct 6, 2013, 1:44 AM

I have not defended Komen. This thread was about football players wearing pink. I have not said you should donate money. I have simply stated that if football players wearing pink contributes to more women getting preventative mammograms, then I'm 200% for it. Guilty as charged. We can find fault with any organization, but it doesn't in any way detract from the cause or the purpose. By the way, there is no "cool" disease. I don't think anyone with any form of cancer would consider it cool.

So by being one of the most common cancers with one of

Oct 6, 2013, 1:35 AM [ in reply to Re: A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms. ]

the highest mortality rates makes it one of the "cooler" diseases? It is the second leading cancer death in women, right behind lung cancer...which is largely influenced by lifestyle (i.e. smoking).

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/types/commoncancers

http://www.sheknows.com/sheknows-cares/articles/823419/10-most-common-cancers-in-the-us

Being reminded of annual mammograms has nothing to do with this idea of big profit corporations and $$$ that you speak of. It is the choice of the viewer to ultimately decide to get a check up. And that check up could very well save their lives. So, how exactly would that person be "throwing money away?"

Oct 6, 2013, 1:26 AM [ in reply to A pink headband doesn't convince women to get mammograms. ]

I have not seen one thing on these games begging for money.

They don't beg for money in beer commercials either.

Oct 6, 2013, 1:29 AM

But they know its coming.

and you can choose who to "donate" to***

Oct 6, 2013, 1:36 AM

That sissy pink saved my lifelong, Tiger-loving mother's

Oct 5, 2013, 11:20 PM [ in reply to breast cancer awareness didn't get involved in football.... ]

life. Awareness month was what caught her cancer. She has been cured of cancer because of it.

I'm not against having an awareness month or against pink.

Oct 5, 2013, 11:23 PM

I just don't like having to see pink on football uniforms for a whole month.

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

Its all good...but it works.***

Oct 5, 2013, 11:25 PM

who the hell doesn't know about cancer? This is all about

Oct 5, 2013, 11:49 PM [ in reply to I'm not against having an awareness month or against pink. ]

merchandise and selling products..

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Absolutely not true. Susan K Komen Inc. aggresively

Oct 5, 2013, 11:46 PM [ in reply to breast cancer awareness didn't get involved in football.... ]

looks for contracts and they even sue people for using their graphics.

i wish football and other sports..

Oct 5, 2013, 11:00 PM

would support even more causes like this.nothing wrong with standing up against diseases that kill many people each day.

that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever read on Tigernet.

Oct 5, 2013, 11:00 PM

seriously??!!!

you should probably read this:

CLEMSON – Just as many others look up to Kathleen Swinney, the wife of Clemson’s head football coach draws on her own inspirations.

Her older sister, Lisa, was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2003, and while she won her fight, she continues to kick complications a decade later...

Clemson’s 2013 Dabo Swinney Ladies Clinic powers on since its roots from the Tommy Bowden days, and in the Swinneys’ fifth year leading the charge, they expect a record 1,200 women on campus for Saturday’s daylong festivities.

No men allowed: the event teases red-blooded males with the mantra “what happens at Ladies Clinic stays at Ladies Clinic.”

“It covers a broad spectrum of ladies,” Kathleen Swinney said. “There’s something for everyone, whether she’s a football fanatic, she’s a shopper and just wants to have a good time, or she’s interested in breast health.”

Swinney’s all three. To the latter point, very much so.

After Lisa began her battle in her 30s, Kathleen and little sister Ann were tested for the BRCA gene, the same gene Angelina Jolie has in her body that increases the odds of breast cancer.

They tested positive, and responded by getting a double mastectomy to stunt the gene’s effects. Kathleen’s was in 2005 – during football season, when Dabo was a wide receivers coach.

Lisa knocked her breast cancer into remission, but last year cancer spread to her brain and lungs. She has recovered well from brain surgery at Duke University in 2012, but she’s had two lung surgeries this year and caught pneumonia two weeks ago.

“It’s affected us in an extremely personal way. It’s been an extremely difficult year for our family,” Kathleen said. “It’s all because of this gene.”

Defensive end Corey Crawford lost his mother to breast cancer last year, and offensive lineman Eric MacLain’s mom battles it now.

“Most everybody sitting in there either knows a family member or friend who’s been affected by breast cancer,” Swinney said. “It affects everybody. It’s just become an epidemic. So most people are passionate about coming, and they know their money’s going toward a good cause.”

Clemson University raised more than $20,000 last year for breast cancer research and prevention through Dabo’s All In Team Foundation. Other schools like South Carolina, Ohio State, Kentucky and Oregon also host women’s clinics.

“If it wasn’t for all this research into breast cancer health, I would more than likely have breast cancer right now,” Swinney said. “Because I was diagnosed with the gene, I was able to do something about it.”

All the Tigers’ coaches, and many players, join in Saturday for presentations, photographs, autographs, tours and entertainment. The day is supplemented by lunch, a fashion show, silent auctions, special guest speakers and the recognition of breast cancer survivors.

“It is every man’s desire to interact with the players at that level, and you get to know them on a personal level,” Charleston County Clemson Club president Heather Byrd. “You go through a day in the life of a player. It’s over-the-top fantastic.”

A mother of three boys, Kathleen Swinney relishes the day each year.

“I do live with all these men, so it’s super fun to have that day with the ladies, knowing what the money’s going toward. And showcasing Clemson,” she said.

“It’s just a really special day.”

http://www.postandcourier.com/article/20130719/PC20/130719353/1036/ladies-clinic-back-in-clemson-for-more-of-a-good-cause

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

interesting article

Oct 5, 2013, 11:03 PM

http://jezebel.com/the-nfls-breast-cancer-awareness-campaign-is-still-a-s-1441208755

didn't even know there was anyone donating any money.

Oct 5, 2013, 11:06 PM

...or not donating all the money they should. lol

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Suzi, there are hundreds of cancer types. Colon, Rectal and

Oct 5, 2013, 11:21 PM [ in reply to that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever read on Tigernet. ]

Lung cancers are greater killers than breast cancer AND target both sexes equally.

I'm not against calling attention to breast cancer, I just don't understand the singualr focus on one cancer for an entire month plus. And pink just doesn't look good on a football uniform.

There is no doubt that the alliance with breast cancer is due to the fact that it may attract a female audience to a male dominated sport.

I just get tired of seeing pink for a whole month worn with colors that just look wrong against it.

Re: that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever read on Tigernet.

Oct 5, 2013, 11:25 PM [ in reply to that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever read on Tigernet. ]

Why is breast cancer so much more important than other forms of cancer?

Because of marketing.***

Oct 5, 2013, 11:45 PM

It is not that it is more important, but...

Oct 6, 2013, 12:24 AM [ in reply to Re: that is the STUPIDEST thing I've ever read on Tigernet. ]

forever breast cancer was not even talked about. It was not normally mentioned to a women when having a physical. Heart attack symptoms were not recognized as being different in men than women. The mammogram was hardly ever done. Then when studies were done, it showed that 1 in 8 women will get breast cancer. And that more women were dying of heart attacks than men because the symptoms women have were different than men. They were ignored as not being a heart attack.

I think the pink looks dumb,too, but knowing what it stands for,,,I deal with it.

And maybe if you men did not make such a big deal about the tata's you would not see the pink in football....;)

FYI -- colon cancer is more deadly than breast cancer

Oct 6, 2013, 12:02 AM

Breast cancer is the "fad" cancer of today's society and fundraising.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

actually, that figure has changed over the years....

Oct 6, 2013, 1:23 AM

American Cancer Society estimates for 2013 are:

232,340 new cases of invasive breast cancer..About 39,620 deaths from breast cancer (includes both men and women)

Colon and rectal:

142,820 new cases

As of latest figures, breast cancer was #2 and colon #3. It really doesn't matter,,,cancer is cancer

He said colon cancer was more deadly - 50,000 + estimated

Oct 6, 2013, 2:05 AM

deaths this year. Colon cancer can be detected early and even prevented before it starts yet only about 1/2 of the people get screened.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it saves just 1 life then I'm all for it

Oct 6, 2013, 12:35 AM

They can do it for any disease if it can help somebody. Human life is way more important than a game. At the end of the day who cares what colors are on the field?

Re: If it saves just 1 life then I'm all for it

Oct 6, 2013, 12:42 AM

Amen!

from a researcher's perspective

Oct 6, 2013, 1:08 AM

We try to get funding from whatever we can get it. There's no denying the hypocrisy and Bs of these type of campaigns. But for the grunts that make way less than what we could get in big pharma or big bio it pays the bills.

why would anybody be against this?

Oct 6, 2013, 1:19 AM

They don't force the players to do it, maybe they should wear whatever color inconsiderate douchebags are represented by.

Re: why would anybody be against this?

Oct 6, 2013, 1:48 AM

I tip my pink colored hat to you. Best response to this non-sense topic.

Replies: 44
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic