Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
For history lovers - Crazy Bball Coaching Tree
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

For history lovers - Crazy Bball Coaching Tree

Mar 23, 2019, 2:30 AM

The 3 winningest teams in Basketball history are #1 Kentucky, #2 Kansas, and #3 UNCheat

James Naismith invented basketball at Springfield College in Massachusetts in 1891. Naismaith taught the game to fellow Springfield staffer Amos Alonzo Stagg, who took the game to Chicago with him and coached bball there, but chose to focus on football instead.

Naismith then moved to Kansas where 2 of his players there were Adolph Rupp and Phog Allen. Rupp later moved to Kentucky where he won 31 conference championships and 6 NC titles in 41 years and is the winningest coach there. Also known for the 1951 point shaving scandal.

Allen took over for Naismith at Kansas and led them to 24 conference championships and 3 NC titles in 39 years, and is the winningest coach there. Ironically, Naismith is also the only Kansas coach in school history with a losing record. Currently embroiled in corruption scandal.

One of Allen's players, Dean Smith, moved to UNC where he won 23 conference titles and 2 NC titles in 37 years, and is the winningest coach there.

One of Smith players, Larry Brown, brought Kansas another NC in his coaching travels.

And another of Smith's players, Roy Williams, also went to coach at Kansas where he won 10 conference championships in 15 years before moving back to...you guessed it...UNCheat, where he has gone on to win another 9 CCs in 16 years and 3 more Ncs. Just coming out of academic scandal.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: For history lovers - Crazy Bball Coaching Tree

Mar 23, 2019, 10:28 AM

You omitted the point shaving scandal at UNC in 1957 that brought a national title but that was McGuire who left UNC to go to Usuck. Everette Case was really the guy who brought big time basketball to the ACC. He came to NCSU right out of high school coaching as I recall.

Mar 23, 2019, 11:16 AM

Case was a graduate of Wisconsin-Madison.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2019, 8:54 PM

I was referring to him coming out of high school as a coach! Obviously he didn’t end up in Raleigh coaching as a seventeen year old!

????

Mar 23, 2019, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Re: For history lovers - Crazy Bball Coaching Tree ]

you got some bad facts there

there was no point shaving in 1957... it happened in later seasons and was more focused on NC State than UNC

McGuire was pretty much asked to leave by the UNC Chancellor after the probation from recruiting violations

and he left UNC to go to the NBA. went to SC 3 years later

Case was in the Navy and at Depauw before NC State

but i will grant you that he deserves much of he credit for making ACC basketball 'big time'

And Brad Brownell graduated fro Depauw

Mar 23, 2019, 9:16 PM

Thus the coaching tree continues here at Clemson

Mar 23, 2019, 8:57 PM

Sounds like a racket to me.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, 3 of the biggest cheaters in college bball, KY, UNC & KS

Mar 23, 2019, 9:07 PM

are all connected? That's not surprising!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic