Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 47
| visibility 1

Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead

Jan 4, 2018, 9:33 AM

Rap overtakes rock for 1st time ever. End of an era

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead

Jan 4, 2018, 9:44 AM

The sad thing is rap is not music. Rock and Roll will never go away for me.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:10 AM

Now old school rap like RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, NWA is good stuff with the use of real instruments and creative lyrics. New rap is basically stolen versions of the past and remixed. I guess that goes for all music in general now. Same for the movie industry. Man I just realized the entertainment business stinks now days. Oh well, guess I’ll go read a newspaper somewhere

Jan 4, 2018, 10:16 AM

what about the Sugarhill Gang?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahhhh ... memories of Friday nights at the

Jan 4, 2018, 10:57 AM

roller-skating rink.

:D :D :D

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Ahhhh ... memories of Friday nights at the

Jan 4, 2018, 11:01 AM

for some reason, Saturday night WAS always dead.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was mostly reserved for birthday parties and

Jan 4, 2018, 11:05 AM

the overabundance of Polo cologne. Every now and then someone screwed up and gave the British Sterling Christmas gift pack of aftershave, cologne, and deodorant stick.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: That was mostly reserved for birthday parties and

Jan 4, 2018, 11:09 AM

don't forget about the Brute.

I was a Pierre Cardin man myself.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:11 AM

Polo gave me headaches.

Jan 4, 2018, 12:39 PM [ in reply to Ahhhh ... memories of Friday nights at the ]

Ah yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BN3NvnTNfMU

Jan 4, 2018, 1:53 PM

Oh yeah. Brings back memories of spinning on my back and wind milling. Shackles baby!

True story.

Jan 5, 2018, 8:40 AM [ in reply to Ahhhh ... memories of Friday nights at the ]

When I worked part time at Record Bar in Greenville I had a sweet young girl call up whose church had rented a roller rink for a party on Saturday night. She asked if we had any "religious roller-skating music"! Now I knew a lot about music, but that one was beyond me.PS When Sugarhill Gang's first album came in, we all listened to it, laughed and thought it was a loser, and felt no one would buy that crap. Little did we know!

Jan 4, 2018, 10:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

No, sir, it ALL is garbage. Always was, always will be. Had people recognized then what it was, CRAP, we wouldn’t be stuck with it now. But, it was “cool” and “edgy”. If you were among those blaring that noise back in the 80s, don’t whine about the state of affairs now. Because YOU contributed to it.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:59 AM

Man, if only there was a way to listen to other types of music. Too bad you're stuck listening to only rap, am I right?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Funny, didn't people say the same thing about rock in the 50s?

Jan 4, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

LOL @ close-minded folks

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 12:33 PM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

> Now old school rap like RUN DMC, Beastie Boys, NWA is
> good stuff with the use of real instruments and
> creative lyrics. New rap is basically stolen versions
> of the past and remixed.

I'll preface my remarks by saying the first concert I ever went to was RUN DMC when I was 14 and I saw the Beastie boys before Licensed to Ill dropped:

All three of the groups you mentioned relied heavily on samples in their music.

Example: The Beastie Boy's Rhyming and Stealing from License to Ill sampled Led Zeppelins When the Levee Breaks, Black Sabbath's Sweet Leaf and I fought the Law by the Clash. And they wouldn't have been able to make Paul's Boutique today because of how much the samples would have cost.

Run DMC's biggest hit, Walk the Way was basically a remake of Aerosmith's song of the same name. They did it as an homage to Aerosmith because Jay would use the intro for the group to rap over early in their careers. They'd do the same with Billy Squire's The Big Beat, which is basically to the entire beat track for their song, Live at the Funhouse. Peter Piper sampled Take Me to the Mardi Gras by Bob James from 1975 (and on a side note, that same sample is being used by Royal Caribbean cruise lines today.)

NWA's hit "Express yourself" is basically an remake of the Charles Wright song of the same name. Straight out of Compton (the song) sampled Amen, Brother by The Winstons, You'll Like It Too by Funkadelic, Get Me Back on Time, Engine #9 by Wilson Pickett, Burn Rubber on Me (Why You Wanna Hurt Me) by The Gap Band and West Coast Poplock by Ronnie Hudson & The Street People.

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Jan 4, 2018, 12:43 PM

Dang Lonnie dropping some serious rap knowledge! Truth is, you’re absolutely correct and have me thinking rap never had originality. I was more focused on the instrumentation and you brought up some excellent points. Even the sugar hill gang used “Queen’s” another one bites the dust rift

Jan 4, 2018, 1:25 PM

> Dang Lonnie dropping some serious rap knowledge!
> Truth is, you’re absolutely correct and have me
> e thinking rap never had originality. I was more
> focused on the instrumentation and you brought up
> some excellent points. Even the sugar hill gang used
> “Queen’s” another one bites the dust rift

The originality was rethinking the original songs in a new context.

If you've never seen it, watch Gandmaster Flash's the Theory of Hip Hop. It will change your view on Hip Hop (at least old school hip hop) and if it qualifies as "Music" or not.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3YXyK-gWvc&

"Stalwart universities—Harvard, Princeton, Yale—most certainly offer status. The Citadel offers character. "

Jan 4, 2018, 3:03 PM

Hey Lonnie. Just spent the last hour watching this and I gotta say that was pretty freaking cool! I grew up listening and grooving to these beats, but to see the visionary Flash was at his craft and the evolution of where it is today, it’s truly amazing. I always thought mixing was overrated, but not now. Especially with what he put out using basically self engineered products. I really appreciate you sharing this and shedding light on the industry. Having said this, I like old school even more so than new now!

Jan 4, 2018, 4:46 PM

Glad you enjoyed it.

Don't forget Lil' Mo and Big Curly sampled

Jan 4, 2018, 2:47 PM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

"you're the only girl on my barbie" by Capn' Geech and the Shrimp Shack Shooters.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:16 AM

Disco will be back in 4-6 years. The disco light, the ball, bell-bottom pants and the shirts. Even pinball will make a comeback along with roller skating.

Jan 4, 2018, 10:30 AM

Do you still have your stark white suit to go along with the Fever?

Jan 4, 2018, 10:57 AM

I was only around 8 during this time. But I remember the skating days at Gaskin's Skating Rink. The Juke box, pin ball, bottled drinks, the strobe light and the disco ball and chasing girls because they wouldn't chase me. :)

Jan 4, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

The Zoot Suit and slicked down hair is coming back. The Glen Miller band will be revived and we will actually understand the words in a song. "Time Marches On" will return to all movie theaters, pop corn will be 99 cents and candy bars 10 cents. The needle-nosed Studebaker will be revived and we'll gather in front of the drug store sipping a coke filled with a sleeve of Tom's Toasted Peanuts, watching the girls going by in their bobby socks and two-toned shoes. The ice man and milk man will be making their home deliveries. When it's a warm day we'll get out the hand held fan, courtesy of the local funeral home, and have a nice chat with our neighbors. When night time falls, the children will have to come in the house complaining because there is never enough time to stay outdoors. Oh, and by the way, did you hear that the price of a gallon of gasoline is going up to 29 cents next week. Ain't life grand?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 4, 2018, 10:55 AM

now that is going back to the days when life had a lot less worries.

Jan 4, 2018, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

Man this is great! You guys have me in stitches with the Polo and Brute memories. And Joe’s post just about created the 1st Elvis sighting in years

Jan 4, 2018, 11:50 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

Man this is great! I actually think this will create some Elvis sightings that have been lacking in our society for years

Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead***

Jan 4, 2018, 12:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

It already came back and left again.

Jan 4, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

> The Zoot Suit and slicked down hair is coming back.

I guess you missed the Swing revival in the 1990's?

Dang, should have held onto my leisure suit.***

Jan 4, 2018, 11:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: Dang, should have held onto my leisure suit.***

Jan 4, 2018, 2:09 PM

I'd like to see you sporting a leisure suit!

This is a joke, right!

Jan 5, 2018, 8:44 AM [ in reply to Re: Football break; It’s official. Rock n roll is dead ]

Have you listened to some of this hip-hop? Some of it is straight out of a late seventies disco.

To quote Neil Young, "Rock and Roll will never die".***

Jan 4, 2018, 11:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: To quote Neil Young, "Rock and Roll will never die".***

Jan 5, 2018, 9:23 AM

https://youtu.be/0O1v_7T6p8U

not yet

Jan 4, 2018, 11:15 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2X8fQD3CL5I

its music like this that will drive a spike up drake, kendrick levar, and cardi b's a$$, so that the heinous crap they put out disappears forever

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Re: not yet

Jan 4, 2018, 11:47 AM

Well it ain’t Def Leppard but I kinda like it. Hope he figures it out one day

Re: not yet

Jan 4, 2018, 11:56 AM

Jimmy Page endorses them highly. Here's his quote from article:
“I went to hear them in New York. They were fantastic. Absolutely riveting,” Page says. “They’re such fine musicians. However long the set was, I could have heard twice as much. Their album has taken the genre up a serious few notches. It’s so refreshing to hear, because they play with the spirit of the things that have preceded them, but you can hear they’re going to take rock into a new realm – if they’re not already doing that. It’s music of tremendous quality.”

and these so called "rappers" can choke on this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rz1Opgruj-Y

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

Not quite...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:58 AM [ in reply to not yet ]

https://youtu.be/HC6QJsxRypQ

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Not quite...

Jan 4, 2018, 12:02 PM

also good - check these young ones out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSayVA_3Cc

Jan 4, 2018, 12:07 PM [ in reply to Not quite... ]

Dang good shyt there! Kinda like white stripes meets CCR. Thanks for sharing

Jan 4, 2018, 12:18 PM [ in reply to Not quite... ]

Kaleo has my toes tapping. Nice!

Rap didn't kill Rock and Roll...

Jan 4, 2018, 11:55 AM

Rock and Roll killed itself.

There is still some decent music out there, just not being

Jan 4, 2018, 11:57 AM

played on radio or talked about in mainstream media. Check out Avett Brothers!

But, nothing will ever top the 10 year period from about 1964 to 74!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is still some decent music out there, just not being

Jan 4, 2018, 12:15 PM

Yeah I’ve been down with the Avett brothers for a few years now. Thanks to all for sharing the “new” jams!

Jan 4, 2018, 10:58 PM

RnR is not dead yet, listen to the band 'Greta Van Fleet'. I wouldn't call it an original idea, but they do kick@$$!

Jan 4, 2018, 10:59 PM

RnR is not dead yet, listen to the band 'Greta Van Fleet'. I wouldn't call it an original idea, but they do kick@$$!

Some of these radio stations are killing it!

Jan 5, 2018, 8:54 AM

Fox 102 in Columbia used to be a great Classic Rock station. Some idiot decided to change the format from 70's masters like Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix, Led Zeppelin, Rolling Stones, and Dylan to 80+'s hair bands like Pantera, Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, and a huge amount of AC-DC and Guns-n-Roses. Needless to say, a lot of us stopped listening. I thought it would be a cold day in h-ll when I heard more Pink Floyd and Rolling Stones on "Steve FM" than a so-called "Classic Rock Station" but I was wrong.

Replies: 47
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic