Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Venables' Oklahoma defense too complicated?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Football Update: Venables' Oklahoma defense too complicated?

Oct 16, 2012, 9:50 AM

Venables' Oklahoma defense too complicated?

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't get any simpler

Oct 16, 2012, 9:53 AM

than "run to ball and wrap up"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And when Mike Stoops leave the next DC will show all of his

Oct 16, 2012, 9:54 AM

flaws and then they'll really have a team moving in the right direction, blah blah blah.

Then i'd hate to know Steele's gameplan

Oct 16, 2012, 10:18 AM

Players said Steele was hard and "too complicated"... I guess though Brent being new his scheme was easy to pick up at first then as players mature he keeps throwing stuff at them. But isn't that what you want from a coach? If its just.. cover that guy, blitz, or stay in zone then you're not being clever disguising your defense. Which is almost a must these days unless your Alabama who just doesn't have to.

I don't care how simple a coach makes things....

Oct 16, 2012, 10:41 AM

or how strong and fast a player is. Ultimately it boils down to a players ability to make plays and some of our guys appear to lack the God given instincts that premier defensive players possess. It's not something you can teach or coach like tackling. You either have it or you don't.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: Football Update: Venables' Oklahoma defense too complicated?

Oct 16, 2012, 9:54 AM

Not worried about it. One thing BV is doing that Steele didn't was come down to the players level and coach them up. We will see things turn around in the next 2-3 weeks.

Every new coach "simplifies" from the previous coach.

Oct 16, 2012, 9:56 AM

You never really hear it the other way around.

"Coach blahblah had a simple system, but our new Coach has an extremely complicated system. It's awesome!"

Step 1: TACKLE!!!!!!!!! Step 2: Check STEP 1!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 16, 2012, 9:59 AM

until then........I ain't worried about complexity.

IMHO

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Step 1: TACKLE!!!!!!!!! Step 2: Check STEP 1!!!!!!!!!!

Oct 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

Agree, with out safeties running with the ball carrier for 15 yards before finally running him out of bounds as in the Tech game, that isn't a too complex defense, it's just poor tackling

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Fire him and go get Blue Ridge HS def. coordinator/health

Oct 16, 2012, 10:18 AM

teacher.

If we have to keep making our defense simpler then.....

Oct 16, 2012, 10:20 AM

that's got to mean we've got some players who just don't have it upstairs. Overcomplicated is one thing but a defense that has to be what it is to compete is necessary.

Also, we've got defensive players who just don't seem to know the basics like tackling.

It's great being physically gifted but you've got to be able to play the mental game just as much.

Oct 16, 2012, 10:25 AM

Although there may be something to this "too complicated" thing, I think it boils down to sometimes a coach just doesn't fit in and sometimes a coach just needs a fresh start to shake things up. It's not like good coaches forget how to coach. Steele didn't fit in at CU for whatever reason - doesn't mean he is a bad coach. Venables had been at OU an awful long time and if you listened to his comments when he was hired I think that he admitted that he was ready for a change. Rebuilding the defense at Clemson will give him the resume candy needed to move to a head coaching position, if that's still what he wants. I would argue that Bud Foster is in a similar position that Brent was in at Oklahoma - been there a long time, defense degrading from the dominant years, change of scenery needed for a kick start...

Oct 16, 2012, 10:46 AM

Regardless of the coordinator, the players see the pro's make the big hit without locking up and think they can, too. Sometimes they can, but when they don't all, fans, team, coaches, suffer. Great tackling solves most of our woes. Staying on your man solves most of the rest. BV doesn't seem to have that complicated a scheme, and no way is it as sophisticated as the KS scheme.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: CRAP. There is no excuse when you get to the ball

Oct 16, 2012, 10:51 AM

carrier and don't make the TACKLE. It just shows no guts and no want to.

NO! The #1 and only rule or scheme to employ on defense is

Oct 16, 2012, 12:32 PM

TACKLE THE MAN WITH THE BALL! It truly is that simple. Just ask Alabama.

Re: NO! The #1 and only rule or scheme to employ on defense is

Oct 17, 2012, 9:41 PM

The reason you need a scheme is so that you will always have a person in the place to be able to tackle the man with the ball.

'tis crap. Stoops D is allowing 17 ppg. Venables

Oct 16, 2012, 1:18 PM

D allowed 15 ppg. (Both stats ate thru 5 games.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Seems Tigs' D is still slow reacting while Sooners' D better

Oct 17, 2012, 2:27 PM

I'm all for the D being smart, talented and just going after the O's arses every play..and making plays with gusto..as Danny's group seemed to do...but of course they were a more talented group (maybe).

GoTiGERs!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

R"I asked a couple of the defensive players if they thought.

Oct 17, 2012, 8:30 PM

"I asked a couple of the defensive players if they thought Venables’ scheme was complicated, and they laughed and said no. From what I understand, it is far simpler to execute and understand that Steele’s scheme."

Updating the record for the worry-warts.

my thoughts as well

Oct 17, 2012, 9:35 PM

never impressed with him at OU

Doesn't matter....have to have players who buy into program

Oct 17, 2012, 9:43 PM

To be the best they can be...prime examples to name a few Blanks, Nuk, tajh, freeman, watkins players that always see room for improvement

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic