Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 51
| visibility 1

Football Update: Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches

Mar 19, 2012, 9:18 AM

Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Grobe should be No.2, Jimbo Fisher, like his team is

Mar 19, 2012, 9:41 AM

wayyyy overrated. So is PJ. Dabo should probably be 6 in my opinion.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PJ does more with less than anyone. He's what 3-1 vs. Dabo?

Mar 19, 2012, 10:11 AM

34-19 at GT, 2 Division titles, 1 ACC title, 2 D1-AA National Championships. His list of accomplishments and record is impressive. I get why people don't like him personally, but it's childish because they don't even know the guy. To bash this guy given his record of success is silly.

And yea Grobe should be higher and like PJ does more with

Mar 19, 2012, 10:15 AM

less and clearly Beamer has earned his spot.

0 ACC titles

Mar 19, 2012, 10:16 AM [ in reply to PJ does more with less than anyone. He's what 3-1 vs. Dabo? ]

Due to NCAA probation "Mr. Personality" had to give back his ACC conference championship and one of his ACC division titles. Perhaps he can win a ACC championship without cheating at some point.

he won it on the field which is all that matters. with your

Mar 19, 2012, 10:30 AM

attitude you must think we should give up some of our ACC titles and the '81 NC. surely you think that, yes? otherwise wouldn't you be a hypocrite?

Re: he won it on the field which is all that matters. with your

Mar 19, 2012, 10:33 AM

Wrong, Clemson did not win anything when they were on probation. PJ got caught cheating and lost his ACC title. I said he might win a championship at gt without cheating, pj just has not done that yet.

we were put on probation for cheating right after winning

Mar 19, 2012, 10:35 AM

the national championship and ACC titles.

We were put on probation for

Mar 19, 2012, 10:39 AM

Violations that occurred prior to the National Championship season. If the NCAA had chosen to strip us of any wins or titles, we would have to accept that, but they did not. However, GT was stripped of wins and titles because they were playing ineligible players (namely Bay-Bay Thomas)in games that contributed to those titles.

If an ineligible Thomas doesn't play in either of GT's meetings with Clemson that year, we win the regular season matchup and most likely take the ACCCG as well.

Re: We were put on probation for

Mar 19, 2012, 10:46 AM

yea GT and ole PJ played a guy they KNEW was ineligible

the reason we weren't stripped of the national title is

Mar 19, 2012, 9:01 PM [ in reply to We were put on probation for ]

because there actually is no national title in Divison I. Even the BCS can't make it more than a mythical national championship.

Re: the reason we weren't stripped of the national title is

Mar 20, 2012, 4:32 PM

Actually, they could have required Clemson to vacate the win in the Orange bowl, but didn't. I agree that the significant violations for which the NCAA penalized Clemson did not contribute to the national title win. Whether Georgia Tech and Paul Johnson deserved what they got, I don't know and don't really care. It strikes me that Dabo may be ranked a little low, but right now, we're mostly betting on what these guys will do, not what they haven't done. If Paul Johnson doesn't do anything else significant at Tech, he's over rated here. If Dabo goes on to win multiple conference championships and multiple BCS games, then he's ranked too low. Until we see more of these guys, we really don't know just how good most of these guys are.

Re: he won it on the field which is all that matters. with your

Mar 19, 2012, 3:31 PM [ in reply to he won it on the field which is all that matters. with your ]

Dang Walt chill out everybody know PJ is a DH

PJ's strength is that ACC schools have 1 week to prepare

Mar 19, 2012, 10:51 AM [ in reply to PJ does more with less than anyone. He's what 3-1 vs. Dabo? ]

for his gimmick offense. More often than not (see UVA game this year) when a team has a bye before GT they beat them.

He has not and WILL NOT win a bowl game at GT because when a team has a week to prepare for it it's easy to shut down the triple option.

He's a good coach. Not a great one. Not the second best in the ACC by any stretch.

Re: PJ does more with less than anyone. He's what 3-1 vs. Dabo?

Mar 19, 2012, 11:20 AM [ in reply to PJ does more with less than anyone. He's what 3-1 vs. Dabo? ]

He only has 1 Division Title and ZERO ACC Titles.

He was given a team that was very talented.

null

Re: Grobe should be No.2, Jimbo Fisher, like his team is

Mar 19, 2012, 10:07 PM [ in reply to Grobe should be No.2, Jimbo Fisher, like his team is ]

sounds about right..

did the writer compile this list with a dartboard?

Mar 19, 2012, 9:46 AM

Al Golden, Mike London, and Jimbo Fisher?

What was the criteria?

Swinney has a lot to prove, but 2 ACC Championship appearances in 4 years and he is outranked by these 3?

They may well be better coaches, but it'd be hard to make that argument strictly based on results comparing the 3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

well said

Mar 19, 2012, 10:26 AM

I cont help but wonder in similar fashion. WTH has Jimbo ever done. unbelievable

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If there was a category, "Accomplishes Less with More"

Mar 20, 2012, 5:59 PM

Jimbo would be at the top of the list!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Gamecocks aren’t ready to take college football by storm just yet. They’re not even ready to compete in their own state – Clemson will still own the territory. Gamecocks fans would be smart to keep their heads buried until that time. Avoid talking trash to a much better Clemson program.” -Dustin Tackett

Re: did the writer compile this list with a dartboard?

Mar 19, 2012, 10:29 AM [ in reply to did the writer compile this list with a dartboard? ]

I agree, Dabo should be in the #3 or #4 spot easily above some of the others. I will give Beamer #1 and Grobe #2....... but Dabo should be at the #3 or #4 spot.

Mar 19, 2012, 10:40 AM [ in reply to did the writer compile this list with a dartboard? ]

I think Mike London has done more in less time than Dabo. Virginia was on a level with Duke before he came, and one game away from the ACCCG this year.

Mar 19, 2012, 10:47 AM

lol..

they were FAR from a duke level...

FAR AND AWAY FROM THAT.

yep, nothing close to Duke..

Mar 19, 2012, 11:17 AM

if you'll read my argument again, I am not making any claims as to how good any of the coaches on the list are. London may end up being the greatest coach in ACC history, but I have a hard time seeing a list with Al Golden and Mike London being listed so high after such short resumes and so little to show.

Again, I question the criteria for this list. When London, who I think is a great coach, had a chance to make it to the ACCCG, he got demolished by VT.

Dabo has been in the ACCCG two out of four years. I'm not sure Dabo is a great coach yet, but considering we had gone 20 years without an ACC Championship and had never made it to the ACCG since its inception, it bothers me that a writer for a publication like Athlon would list 3 coaches who have yet to do anything in the ACC above Dabo.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2012, 8:33 AM [ in reply to did the writer compile this list with a dartboard? ]

TU! There are some on here who would find a way to dislike Dabo if we won a NC. I see a lot of progress from our program, and changing DC's is going to prove to be a huge factor, IMO, just like getting a real OC did with our offense last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches

Mar 19, 2012, 9:51 AM

These rankings are BS. Say what you will, but if you rank coaches based on records, there is no way Dabo is 8th. They have Golden and London ahead of Dabo, and Grobe with a .500 record.

Dabo is in the top 4. Can't debate Beamer's record, he's done a heck of a job. But between Dabo, Paul, and Jimmy its a pick'em.

O'Brien?? Are you kidding me?***

Mar 19, 2012, 9:55 AM

O'Brien could be considered for his body of work at BC***

Mar 19, 2012, 9:55 AM

That would make more sense. They have been pretty bad @NCSU***

Mar 19, 2012, 9:58 AM

Mar 19, 2012, 10:06 AM

It seems like Fisher is getting credit for being some great recruiter, but Dabo is only winning because off his great recruits. Double standard? I'd move Dabo to 3rd.

Re: that list is garbage

Mar 19, 2012, 10:44 AM

In another gem of an article, Athlon has Dabo on the "hot seat" despite winning 2 Atlantic titles and an ACC championship in 3 full years of coaching. If Jimbo "the second coming" Fischer had done that there would be statues erected and every media outlet would be saying Bobby who? Oh wait, they already do that.

My ACC coaches ranking(looking at everything, not just wins and losses):

1.) Beamer
2.) Paul Johnson
3.) Grobe
4.) Dabo
5.)O'Brien
6.) Fischer
7.) London
8.) Golden
9.) Cutcliffe
10.) Edsall
11.) Spaziani
12.)

Dabo is underrated. At worst, he should be number 4.***

Mar 19, 2012, 10:40 AM

#8 owned #1 last year (twice)***

Mar 19, 2012, 10:46 AM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How lucky can one school get?? The number 8 ranked coach

Mar 19, 2012, 10:55 AM

in his 3 years as a head coach has played for the ACC Championship twice and won it once!!!....go figure!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How lucky can one school get?? The number 8 ranked coach

Mar 19, 2012, 10:49 PM

Dabo is considered a great recruiter and motivator.

He is not respected as a "coach".

Re: How lucky can one school get?? The number 8 ranked coach

Mar 19, 2012, 10:54 PM

gad you're such a chicken dimwit

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

dang...and just think...he could have gotten...

Mar 19, 2012, 10:57 PM [ in reply to Re: How lucky can one school get?? The number 8 ranked coach ]

a coach of the year award if he were respected....

Oh, wait........

Mar 19, 2012, 11:48 AM

I think it's hard to argue Beamer as #1 with his body of work over all those years. Grobe has on occasion made something from nothing at Wake, but I am not sure that makes him #2. The bottom line for me is the answer to the question " who would you trade Dabo for? My rsponse would bee ... "None of them, considering his recruiting success (both players and coordinators)and the team's success in 2009 and 2011" That translates to a lot of upside fort Dabo, and I think he's a keeper. Go Tigers!!

Mar 19, 2012, 1:22 PM

Wish I could have given you more than a point. What you said is really what most others think also. I wouldn't trade Dabo for none of the others. If Beamer was 10 to 20 years younger. I would consider making that trade.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2012, 8:45 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Ranking the ACC's College Football Coaches ]

I think you nailed it. Beamer is the leader in the clubhouse due to his body of work over an eon, but we have come a very long way with Dabo. I will give TB some kudos, too, because he is the one who began to get some quality recruits we desperately needed. Dabo is taking us to another level, (the bowl game fiasco not withstanding), and he seems to be doing it the right way. I see a bright future for us.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Link to original article is down.....

Mar 19, 2012, 12:05 PM

I wonder if they're moving #3, #4, #5, and #7?

I would really like to know the method of ranking.

Seems unpopular but accurate.***

Mar 19, 2012, 1:52 PM

How is that accurate? Grobe should be top 3. And putting

Mar 19, 2012, 2:16 PM

Dabo behind all of those other unproven coaches that have accomplished even less is pretty ridiculous.

ToB was mediocre at BC and has been flat out bad at NCSU too.

What this list highlights more than anything is the sheer lack of good, successful coaches in our conference.

Re: Seems unpopular but accurate.***

Mar 19, 2012, 3:39 PM [ in reply to Seems unpopular but accurate.*** ]

Well what a shock you agree with the writer.
Hey that's ok you are always wrong

more convinced that my original reaction was correct***

Mar 19, 2012, 8:52 PM

What a terrible list***

Mar 19, 2012, 2:12 PM

Athlon

Mar 19, 2012, 2:26 PM

has become a joke....I swear I think they have monkeys doing their research...They have no credibility anymore

What has Jimbo Fisher done yet?

Mar 19, 2012, 9:44 PM

A little too early in my view to judge Mr. Fisher. He may very well be a great coach, but not enough time has past

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's won every single pre-season ACC and National Title.***

Mar 19, 2012, 10:41 PM

Re: What has Jimbo Fisher done yet?

Mar 20, 2012, 3:22 AM [ in reply to What has Jimbo Fisher done yet? ]

He has run that program for almost a decade now. Bobby was senile five years before he 'retired.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What has Jimbo Fisher done yet?

Mar 20, 2012, 8:22 AM

I know this is old now, but FSU has not been the same threat for the last 5 years that it used to be. I agree that BB has been a figure head during that time, so that doesn't earn Jimbo a lot of kudos. Just saying'!

No issues with that. 3 staright losses to SC and some....

Mar 20, 2012, 6:04 PM

embarrassing losses by huge scores will do that to you.

Whomever wrote that is a ######...

Mar 21, 2012, 10:02 AM

Maybe when we win the NC this year he can move up to #7

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 51
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic