Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson/LSU sets ESPN viewership record
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 1

Football Update: Clemson/LSU sets ESPN viewership record

Jan 4, 2013, 11:07 AM

Clemson/LSU sets ESPN viewership record

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson/LSU sets ESPN viewership record

Jan 4, 2013, 11:13 AM

I would love to see the viewership breakdown by state or region.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Jan 4, 2013, 11:14 AM

I was peaved they blacked it out on espn3. Could've been even higher viewership.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

We couldn't have had a better platform for redemption!

Jan 4, 2013, 11:14 AM

Wonderful to replace the Orange Bowl debacle, which has been burned into the national consiousness for a year now, with spectacular game that practically every college fan in the nation was watching from the opening kick-off right up until the final gun (and beyond) ... Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Much better than getting caught up in the many bowls Jan 1

Jan 4, 2013, 1:20 PM

Our game was the center of attention for the night in college football. Perfect.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

The LSU win exorcised the Oange Bowl demons for sure.***

Jan 4, 2013, 7:40 PM [ in reply to We couldn't have had a better platform for redemption! ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

There's your footprint, SEC!***

Jan 4, 2013, 11:17 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

wonder if espn will catch crap for calling it peach bowl?***

Jan 4, 2013, 11:41 AM

They need to bring back the Peach name. When the playoff

Jan 4, 2013, 11:45 AM

starts it will be the only bowl in the rotation that just has a sponsor name.

There would have been more if Mizzou had been playing

Jan 4, 2013, 11:46 AM

right Mike Slive??? Clemson in the SEC equals eyeballs on televisions, just saying.

Re: There would have been more if Mizzou had been playing

Jan 4, 2013, 1:34 PM

I've lived in St. Louis for the last 6 years and Mizzou has been pretty decent. But when I go to a sports bar to watch Clemson the place is usually empty. I get my own big screen and often they'll put the sound from my game on the speakers. One time I went in a little late and there were games on, but they were blasting Katy Perry, and nobody (all 5 people) seemed to mind. This is a multiple pro-sports town and the Cardinals rule the roost. Same with KC and the Chiefs, even when they suck.

18 million of those viewers were pulling for...

Jan 4, 2013, 1:11 PM

..the CLEMSON TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jan 4, 2013, 1:25 PM

Like I have been saying win your games and everything will work out fine.All I have been hearing is that Clemson is a good team nothing about Clemson being in the ACC.That win will go a long way on our top ten preseason ranking.

Which demonstrates how stupid the argument was that Clemson

Jan 4, 2013, 1:35 PM

would not be a good "fit" in the SEC due to viewership "footprint".

Tiger Droppings, I say.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

The issue is that they already have the SC viewership

Jan 4, 2013, 3:18 PM

in contract due to USuC being a member. Adding us doesn't add anything to the contract.

Re: The issue is that most games are Nationally shown now

Jan 4, 2013, 3:30 PM

so the foot print is not just in a local area but Nationally

if different networks are showing games at the same time it's likely Clemson vs and SEC team will out draw another game.

I think Nationally Clemson is very well know, you see the helmet and fans know exactly who that is, Clemson has proven they can win a National Title, beat one of the top two teams in the SEC most years and fans all over the nation will tune in to watch Clemson play

I think the argument is moot, but

Jan 4, 2013, 5:40 PM

the most important thing to a tv contract is eyeballs. We can and would be a good addition.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

63-17

You nailed it.

Jan 4, 2013, 7:45 PM [ in reply to Re: The issue is that most games are Nationally shown now ]

"... you see the helmet and fans know exactly who that is". Our logo is simply elegant while the one from that school in the middle of the state is unrecognizable from a distance and looks like a glob of chicken poop from close up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I don't buy that.

Jan 4, 2013, 7:37 PM [ in reply to The issue is that they already have the SC viewership ]

There's no way it wouldn't put more eyes on the SEC were Clemson to play there.

I'm all against being an SEC school. I don't want to swim in the sewer either.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's about $$$, not eyeballs.

Jan 4, 2013, 7:53 PM

The way the television contracts for the Big Ten Network (the blueprint everyone is following) work, cable operators within the conference's 'footprint' pay $.80/subscriber to carry the network. Cable operators in states *without* Big Ten teams pay $.10/subscriber.

Under this model, it makes ZERO sense to add Clemson to the SEC when you could add, say, NC State and Virginia Tech, who expand the footprint. Look at it this way; if the SEC were being formed today, Auburn, Vanderbilt and one of the Mississippis would be left out in the cold.

That's why our most likely landing spot should the ACC implode (still very possible) is and always has been the Big XII.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's about $$$, not eyeballs.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:06 PM

There are more Clemson football fans in North carolina and virgina, than there are anywhere besides SC.

That doesn't matter.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:27 PM

They get EIGHT TIMES as much money by adding a team in a new state. It's like a whole new source of revenue.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Eyeballs = $$$. Not footprint

Jan 4, 2013, 9:22 PM

When more people watch the ratings are higher and the network gets more for the ads. Footprint means nothing if people don't watch. For proof look at Viginia's Chick-fil-a ratings or any BC game.

Incorrect.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:31 PM

Add a team in a new state and you make money before that team ever plays a down.

You're thinking about this in a totally logical manner, but the contracts in place make your assessment inaccurate.

Really? My daughter sells TV advertising on ESPN

Jan 4, 2013, 9:31 PM

The rates are based on how many people watch regardless of where they are located. The only thing footprint does is get them higher rates in higher saturation markets but the net is the same and based on total viewers.

That's what makes ESPN money.

Jan 4, 2013, 9:34 PM

I'm talking about what makes the SEC money.

The SEC decides who to add to the conference, not ESPN.

But the conference is paid by the networks

Jan 4, 2013, 9:42 PM

So the more people who watch their games the more the networks pay the conference. The conference wants to add viewers period. If it were really about footprint then BC would be in the SEC.

Not when the conference has their own network.

Jan 4, 2013, 10:43 PM

The SEC's contracts with ESPN and CBS would fluctuate somewhat with additions like FSU and Clemson, but the SEC network will make even more money adding teams like NC State and Virginia Tech because it's two more states where they will make $.80/subscriber instead of $.10/subscriber

This is why the Big Ten added Rutgers and Maryland, and it's why the SEC has no interest in Clemson.

Replies: 27
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic