Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Clemson HOFer Don King passes away
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1,246

Football Update: Clemson HOFer Don King passes away

Feb 16, 2013, 12:08 PM

Clemson HOFer Don King passes away

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Had the good fortune to play a round of golf with Mr. King

Feb 16, 2013, 1:26 PM

several years ago. He was a great golfer and a better gentleman.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think the story should say he played halfback that

Feb 16, 2013, 1:49 PM

day against Fordham. He came to Clemson from Boys High in Anderson as a single wing tailback. He became the Tigers'first T QB the next year which was 1953. Boys High in Anderson was undefeated during his junior year and claimed the state championship,1950, as did Florence that year. No playoffs. Don continued to support Clemson till the very end. I coached Don Jr. in youth football. I must tell this story from a few years ago. We were having lunch at the Town House in Anderson and I said, "Don, I think I have finally seen a better high school football player than you." He asked who and I said Raphael Little at Hanna" Don sat there a few seconds drinking tea and then with a witty smile said, "Well, you can still say that I was the best white player you ever saw"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He was a distant cousin of mine...***

Feb 16, 2013, 3:47 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Update: Clemson HOFer Don King passes away

Feb 16, 2013, 4:16 PM

Don is also is only sophomore to win the Swede Nelson award and one of few to win award and not play in the New England area, now that award is only given to a player in that area. He and Justin Miller are also the only two tigers to intercept a ball, complete a pass, run the ball,catch a pass, and punt in a single game. But when he heard about this he said that he also kicked a field goal that game and that his pass was for a touchdown. He always looking to put a smile on everyone's face. Best man I have ever known.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Condolences to the family....Mr. King was certainly

Feb 16, 2013, 4:19 PM

a Clemson legend

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1,246
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic