Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Update: Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Football Update: Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley

May 17, 2012, 9:58 AM

Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley/font>

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great news, now we can watch the games on our phones

May 17, 2012, 10:02 AM

instead of actually looking at the field. And keep up with FaceBook & Twitter !!!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'd rather update my status than experience the game.

May 17, 2012, 10:10 AM

I, for one, am relieved.

Wonder who the "mayor" of Death Valley will be ????***

May 17, 2012, 10:14 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Speaking of relieving, wonder if we could get radio speakers

May 17, 2012, 12:13 PM [ in reply to I'd rather update my status than experience the game. ]

in the men's rooms. If the lines are long, you can miss a lot of the game.

And Tigernet, of course***

May 17, 2012, 10:17 AM [ in reply to Great news, now we can watch the games on our phones ]

Now I can get "Fire Dabo" threads in real time!***

May 17, 2012, 10:02 AM

it's funny cuz it's true!***

May 17, 2012, 10:20 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

Re: Football Update: Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley

May 17, 2012, 10:06 AM

I've always thought the problem was due to saturating the towers with usage, as opposed to not getting a signal. Can someone with some technical knowledge on the space elaborate?

May 17, 2012, 10:11 AM

Short answer might be with more towers, the distribution would be better amongst them, so there wouldn't be as much clogging. If it works like wireless signals do, you find a tower that's decent and stick with it. If it gets slow or your phone notices lag, it will search out other towers to connect to that aren't as crowded. In some cases, the towers can do that by basically saying "Hey, tower 2, I'm kinda bogged down, mind taking these people for me?" "Sure can buddy, they're in my range too!"

Clemson

Great minds ;)***

May 17, 2012, 10:13 AM

That's what I always thought as well, as I usually have

May 17, 2012, 10:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley ]

perfect signal and yet I can't make or receive phone calls.
Maybe the idea of signal boosters is to make the signal reach farther and thus the demand can be distributed across more towers.

Re: That's what I always thought as well, as I usually have

May 17, 2012, 10:34 AM

This makes sense. Thank you.

May 18, 2012, 11:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Football Update: Cell phone signal boosters added to Death Valley ]

Better news that boosters... They are actually installing nodes for a DAS. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_Antenna_System. There will be many small 'cell towers' installed throughout the stadium.

May 17, 2012, 10:07 AM

That will be good till DOD blocks the signals during some times of the games, yes they have and will any time they fill there is a need to.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I hope it works, but i'm kind of dubious

May 17, 2012, 10:19 AM

I guess "seeing is believing"...when I can send texts in the first half of a major game, I'm a convert. Won't believe the cellphone problem is actually solved until that day, though. :)

They'll work because they'll capture the signals.....

May 17, 2012, 11:16 AM

coming from around the stadium and project them down in to the stadium - they'll work.

But isn't part of the problem too many people and too few

May 18, 2012, 9:19 AM

towers? I have had problems getting Internet on my cell phone outside of the stadium on game day in places I otherwise have no problem.

Unless Verizon, etc add more capacity for 7 days a year I don't know if this will really help - at least not with Internet. Maybe calls and texts.

May 17, 2012, 10:23 AM

I want to see Sammy and Tajh tweet during the game.

Clemson

May 17, 2012, 11:15 AM

Would it be safe to text while watching a football game. How many people might die texting while watching a football game. I think this is truly irresponsible.

May 17, 2012, 11:22 AM

now Dabo can catch up on "dancing with the stars" from the sideline

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

So, if we are in Texas or Oklahoma will it help?***

May 18, 2012, 11:28 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson is indeed getting a DAS...

May 19, 2012, 3:21 AM

This has been in the works for some time. It has required cooperation between the school and both large wireless providers - I work for another company involved.

The wireless providers initially thought the upgrade was going to take place just before Labor Day weekend last year, but they were finalizing a head-end infrastructure placement location which is being provided by the school near the east side of the campus (with ROW stipulations).

The 1GbE aggregate feeds from Clemson campus back to the wireless Mobile Switching Centers (MSC) for each of the carriers have been upgraded and these cell arrays SHOULD be the final pieces to the solution.

There should be immediate improvement in data traffic (requiring lower CoS, but aided by increased burstability of network). And while voice calls should also improve, there will still be limits to the volume supported - they are not designing for worst-case gameday loads like when everyone calls at the end of the 2nd qtr to find out the halftime plans.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic