Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Recruiting Update: Clemson commit to visit Ohio State
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 1

Football Recruiting Update: Clemson commit to visit Ohio State

Oct 30, 2014, 9:55 AM

Clemson commit to visit Ohio State

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Recruiting Update: Clemson commit to visit Ohio State

Oct 30, 2014, 10:01 AM

Better than Penn St at least

Time for an intervention

Oct 30, 2014, 10:02 AM

Coach Venables and Coach Reed need to take the bye week as an opportunity to shut this thing down.

He didn't have an offer from them when he committed

Oct 30, 2014, 10:06 AM

I'm OK with him enjoying the process and checking out schools he got new offers from. Hopefully he still chooses Clemson but if he doesn't then there are still a lot of good DB prospects available in this year's class.

Re: He didn't have an offer from them when he committed

Oct 30, 2014, 5:20 PM

has he ever visited Clemson?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"commit" doesn't hold the meaning it should anymore***

Oct 30, 2014, 10:07 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again?

Oct 30, 2014, 10:18 AM

That's not right. These are high school kids, let em enjoy the moment. For a lot of them it's the only chance they'll ever have to visit these places. I've never liked that no visits rule for committed players. Seems a little hypocritical to me. If they wanna really come to Clemson, they will, regardless of who they visit.

Re: So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again?

Oct 30, 2014, 10:22 AM

Ohio sucks though

What? So. Don't. Verbally. Commit.***

Oct 30, 2014, 10:23 AM [ in reply to So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again? ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_pickem_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-soccerkrzy.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cole @ Beach Cole w/ Clemson Hat

Re: What? So. Don't. Verbally. Commit.***

Oct 30, 2014, 10:25 AM

Didn't DW visit Auburn after he committed to us? If we recruit big time players this stuff is going to happen.

And everyone panicked. I don't feel nearly as good about this guy staying but deshaun was a lock.

Oct 30, 2014, 10:38 AM

I still think this guys gone if Oregon offers he appears to be a huge Oregon fan for whatever reason.

But

Oct 30, 2014, 10:42 AM

How many thought DW didn't know the meaning of the word commit and wanted to pull his scholly?

There's a difference, DW did under the radar not even his...

Oct 30, 2014, 3:04 PM

...his high school coach knew about that visit. DW knew what he was doing and knew the coaches wouldn't like it thats why he didn't tell anyone he was or did do it...

Re: There's a difference, DW did under the radar not even his...

Oct 30, 2014, 3:40 PM

Doesn't that make it worse.

So lie about and try to hide it instead?***

Oct 31, 2014, 1:44 AM [ in reply to There's a difference, DW did under the radar not even his... ]

Like previously mentioned, they're teenagers that are going to be spending the next 3-5 years at a place. They would like to make sure they're making the right decision. If they commit it ensures their spot. If they don't, then they might lose their spot on the team. If they're 90% sure they want to go to a school, why not pull the trigger and get your spot.

Message was edited by: AFtigers87®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So lie about and try to hide it instead?***

Oct 31, 2014, 6:18 AM

> Like previously mentioned, they're teenagers that are
> going to be spending the next 3-5 years at a place.
> They would like to make sure they're making the
> e right decision. If they commit it ensures their
> spot. If they don't, then they might lose their spot
> on the team. If they're 90% sure they want to go to
> a school, why not pull the trigger and get your spot.
>
>
> Message was edited by: AFtigers87®

And the same should apply for the coaches, accept the commitment from about 30 student athletes and if you get a better commit later, just drop one of the worst commits on your board. It's no problem, the coaches should have the same rules and opportunities as the student athlete.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So lie about and try to hide it instead?***

Nov 19, 2014, 11:24 PM

Exactly, the coach is committing to spend a ton of money on the recruit because of the commitment. So why is it the coach should expect their commitment to be rock solid.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 30, 2014, 3:59 PM [ in reply to Re: What? So. Don't. Verbally. Commit.*** ]

Yes he did go to Auburn with a friend he said, and he said that it wouldn't happen again without permission from Dabo first.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 31, 2014, 6:12 AM [ in reply to Re: What? So. Don't. Verbally. Commit.*** ]

Purple, yes he did visit Auburn and very shortly thereafter there was a meeting and that situation was cleared up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you don't commit then the coach might give your spot away

Oct 30, 2014, 10:28 AM [ in reply to What? So. Don't. Verbally. Commit.*** ]

Unless you're a top 100 player, nobody's holding spots for you if they can get a commitment from someone similar.

Hypocritical? How so?

Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 AM [ in reply to So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again? ]

If we were actively recruiting a replacement for him and would actually rescind his scholarship offer should the other player commit, that would be hypocritical.

Brisco is reserving his right to change his mind. It would be hypocritical of him to assume we could not do the same.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hypocritical? How so?

Oct 31, 2014, 1:48 AM

Dabo has told players that they can't take other visits or they'll lose their scholly. He had no problem when RN started doing it last year.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm with you.`

Oct 30, 2014, 11:04 AM [ in reply to So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again? ]

Let the kid be the king of his high school for a few weekends during his senior year. I think you can take 5 official visits. If his original choice (Clemson, in this case) is so great, he'll end up signing in February regardless of the other 4 schools he might visit.

Coaches need to stop manipulating these kids with their version of commitment. A coach would jump from school A to school B in a heartbeat if that was the best thing for his career/family. It's unrealistic for them to expect kids to be pressured into giving up the one opportunity they have to enjoy the recruiting process.

Re: I'm with you.`

Oct 30, 2014, 12:40 PM

I definitely FEEL you! Great insights.

Re: I'm with you.`

Oct 30, 2014, 4:06 PM [ in reply to I'm with you.` ]

There is a very easy solution for this, DO NOT COMMIT if you're not 100% committed, PERIOD!!! I bet any amount of cash$$$ that Dabo has never forced or pressured a kid for a commitment.

Re: So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again?

Oct 30, 2014, 3:54 PM [ in reply to So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again? ]

They Are Told Before They Commit By Dabo, if they're not ready to shut their recruiting down, don't commit!!! I don't think that Dabo would have excepted his commitment if he thought that he was going to leave his recruitment open to take other visits. That's not 100% committed, that's a I'll sign with Clemson if I don't find a better offer. Now Dabo could do like Spurrier, Saban, and a lot of other schools, take their commitment and pull there offer at signing day if we have a better higher rated commit to give that scholarship to.

Oct 31, 2014, 6:10 AM [ in reply to So if he verbally commits, he can't take advantage of a trip he may never be able to make again? ]

Lilnaitch, it's sorta like having a steady girlfriend, just date another gal and see what happens. It is not difficult to understand the word "commit" if you look it up. When he decided to commit he was told what the word "commit" means and he still committed, and so did Clemson. If he wants to take a trip to Ohio State, have at it, but don't be surprised if the scholarship offer is pulled. What is fair for the goose is fair for the gander. It's time to grow up, young man, and accept responsibilities for your actions. Secondly, you say he is only a kid and that is somewhat true, so accept the guidance that he is given by adults. Remember, coaches have their careers on the line with these recruits and allowing wishy washy actions by a committed student athlete is unacceptable.

Nov 19, 2014, 10:58 PM

Exactly, and Dabo may have pulled the offer, and to try and save face ^&$&+*&%%%< I think I see what he done there;)

Be proactive and assume he may flip. It's a two way street.

Oct 30, 2014, 10:16 AM

Hate to see us not be prepared for these types of issues. Yes, he could be simply taking advantage of an opportunity for a free trip, but he could also retract his commitment.

Need a Plan B.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Be proactive and assume he may flip. It's a two way street.

Oct 30, 2014, 10:39 AM

So how do you know we are not prepared?

You and I are in the same boat.

Oct 30, 2014, 10:43 AM

Neither one of us knows for sure.

If history is our guide, there is a greater than 50% possibility that we are not. We seem to trust the kids.

Yea, I have a feeling...

Oct 30, 2014, 4:10 PM [ in reply to Be proactive and assume he may flip. It's a two way street. ]

this kid maybe on the fence

Re: Yea, I have a feeling...

Oct 30, 2014, 4:13 PM

IMO he is on the fence. Since we offered and he committed, he has had some big offers coming in. So yes, I feel 100% he is standing on the diving board.

Let the kid be a kid while he can, he will make the best

Oct 30, 2014, 10:30 AM

decision for him or what feels like the best. I want him here to play for our Tigers as well, but if he decides OSU is for him then my best wishes to him(until when and if we play OSU).

These are guys who have opportunities to take trips and enjoy life. They have worked very hard to be as good as they are or Clemson would never have offered. That hard work and dedication to the sport allows them this rare chance, take advantage.

Now, as for the "verbal" commitment! What a fine line it is when you give your word that you will be a Tiger and suddenly decide another place is a better fit. We must remember these recruits are being sought after in high demand and the pitches they here are probably grandious to the extreme measure. I will always be a Tiger, but these kids may not have that same bias which makes any offer from bug names like Michigan or Ohio State.

Stay with the Tigers Juwan, but enjoy the trip!!

Go Tigers!!

Re: Let the kid be a kid while he can, he will make the best

Oct 31, 2014, 6:26 AM

> decision for him or what feels like the best. I want
> him here to play for our Tigers as well, but if he
> decides OSU is for him then my best wishes to
> him(until when and if we play OSU).
>
> These are guys who have opportunities to take trips
> and enjoy life. They have worked very hard to be as
> good as they are or Clemson would never have offered.
> That hard work and dedication to the sport allows
> s them this rare chance, take advantage.
>
> Now, as for the "verbal" commitment! What a fine
> line it is when you give your word that you will be a
> Tiger and suddenly decide another place is a better
> fit. We must remember these recruits are being
> sought after in high demand and the pitches they here
> are probably grandious to the extreme measure. I
> will always be a Tiger, but these kids may not have
> that same bias which makes any offer from bug names
> like Michigan or Ohio State.
>
> Stay with the Tigers Juwan, but enjoy the trip!!
>
> Go Tigers!!

dkmoore1975, this is the start of "growing up" and growing up means staying with your commitments - Period.

I'd pull his scholly. If he's not 100% sure he wants to

Oct 30, 2014, 10:31 AM

play for our D after this season, he doesn't deserve to be a Tiger.

agree seems to be noise with

Oct 30, 2014, 10:46 AM

This kid every weekend now. Time to move on and end the drama, we are tight on ships anyway and a lot of kids want to play here that are well within the talent pool we are looking for.

Tell him thanks but no thanks and move on. Something smells fishy with this kid even if he does stay I sense trouble down the road.....

Kid lives about 40 minutes from me. Seen him play

Oct 30, 2014, 12:49 PM

He can ball. He's got good ball skills. But he goes to a school full of thugs, and seems more like a Bellamy than a Watkins.

So should have we pulled Deshaun Watson's scholly?

Oct 30, 2014, 1:10 PM [ in reply to I'd pull his scholly. If he's not 100% sure he wants to ]

After all he visited Auburn while committed to Clemson. Very stupid idea.

doesn't he know we beat them in the Orange bowl?

Oct 30, 2014, 10:37 AM

Choose clemson!

and the gator bowl!

Oct 30, 2014, 10:42 AM

We OWN Ohio st!!

This is why I don't like when recruits commit

Oct 30, 2014, 10:58 AM

So early. I understand its hard not to take anymore visits especially after big time schools are coming after you but if he wanted to take more visits then he shouldn't of committed. I thought dabo said no visits after you commit? Does this mean we might target another DB?

Oct 30, 2014, 11:04 AM

If he visits, my understanding he's no longer a CU commit!

Oct 30, 2014, 11:16 AM

Its my understanding that it is not unlikely that he'll flip. The coaches have a plan B and C, unfortunately its not that easy to just pluck a good player out of thin air this late in the process.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Three words: Early Signing Period...I would suggest

Oct 30, 2014, 12:08 PM

July 15th through August 15th. High schools haven't played any games yet. A recruit could commit, sign and focus on his senior season. And without the distractions of texts, calls or visits from other college coaches.

no way***

Oct 30, 2014, 12:25 PM

He gone***

Oct 30, 2014, 1:19 PM

2012_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He should decommit first.

Oct 30, 2014, 1:49 PM

Open up his recruitment. Best for all.

"We establish no religion in this country, we mandate no belief. Nor will we ever. Church and state are, and must remain, separate." ~Ronald Reagan

I don't expect

Oct 30, 2014, 2:10 PM

him to sign with us.

On the bright side: Another scholarship available for an OL or DL recruit!!!

When he hears Clemson fans booing players...***

Nov 20, 2014, 9:17 AM

Replies: 49
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic