Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Football Player Update: Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson"
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Football Player Update: Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson"

Oct 9, 2013, 4:21 PM

Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson"

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hey media:

Oct 9, 2013, 4:33 PM

Go home, you're drunk.

This is old. Come up with something more creative.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They should really call it...

Oct 9, 2013, 4:37 PM

"Tommy Bowdening". This whole deal started with his inconsistent teams. It took hold umder Dabo, but he has squashed all of this as Tajh says.

Yep that is correct.***

Oct 9, 2013, 4:47 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It started way before Tommy Bowden

Oct 9, 2013, 5:45 PM [ in reply to They should really call it... ]

We had several teams in the 1980s that should have gone undefeated.

1989, 1990 in particular.

Those national Championship-caliber teams that went 10-2 began the "Clemsoning" thing.

The term is a modern era deal...

Oct 10, 2013, 11:21 AM

associated with mass tv shows and radio sports shows and social media.

I doubt anyone ever mentioned the term prior to the late 2000s. It was the direct result of of the items below....

-Clemson's lackluster years following Danny Ford
-Failed expectations as a program under the direction of a Bowden
-Repeated head scratching losses to Wake, Duke and Maryland. And then the loss to BC in 2007? The 2006 collapse as well.

The moments of losing those games in the 80s happens to every program. I hold Bowden repsonsible for the term as he could never thrive in a very weak ACC during his tenure. He got oh so close and then...SPLAT!!

Dabo did have a few moments himself, but that was in his first couple of years and he has gone through a learning curve and separated this program from that term. Sadly, it will never go away though. People are just waiting (media) for us to lose to BC, UMD, etc. so that they can say this.

The terminolgy is recent, the phenomenon is not ...

Oct 10, 2013, 12:21 PM

We didn't have the world wide web to criticize Danny (and then Hatfield) when ultra-talented Clemson teams underperformed against lesser squads, but the fan and media reaction was much the same, even though it was not given nearly as much coverage.

All you had to do was sit in the stands during those loses and listen ...

In addition to losing to Duke and Ga Tech, Danny's squads lost three straight to NC State teams that were not nearly as talented.

And of course Ken Hatfield lost our first game ever to Virginia and dropped an inexcusable game at home to Wake Forest.

We were "Clemson-ing" long before it became a fashionable insult. Those who said it just didn't have the mechanism for making it a nation-wide catch phrase.

Call it pulling an Alabama. They've won the NC for two

Oct 9, 2013, 7:09 PM [ in reply to They should really call it... ]

years but not been undefeated either year. Must be playing down to the competition if they're truly the best.

Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU?

Oct 9, 2013, 8:21 PM [ in reply to They should really call it... ]

Tommy West started it but Dabo continued it through the WVU Orange Bowl disgrace of January 2012.

Dabo's crew hasn't pulled a Clemson since the start of the 2012 season, but the 2011 season saw a high-flying Clemson team pull a Clemson (and get whupped) by an inferior-talent NCSU team and get upset by an inferior GT, followed by the record-setting Orange Bowl debacle of losing to a lowly, inferior, Big East underdog that went 4-4 in league play the following year when they joined a big boy conference. The prior season Dabo went 6-7, losing to several underdogs (UNC, BC, USF) and inferior-talent teams. And the prior season Dabo took a couple more upset losses (TCU & UMD) en route to a 9-5 season.

So while Dabo has had the team humming since 9/12, let's not kid ourselves that all the Clemsoning happened way back in the Bowden era. It ended (hopefully) 13 months ago stating on 9/12.

Re: Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU?

Oct 9, 2013, 8:54 PM

I remember the Unc game that dabo lost it was against their JV team at the time. Half their starters did not get to play, as to be one of the low points for Dabo. I do think we are headed up for many years to come.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The UNC game was in week 5. Nearly all of their starters

Oct 9, 2013, 10:08 PM

had already returned. They began the season against LSU with 6 of their starters suspended and 6 second and third stringers out. By the time we played them most of them had been back for a couple weeks. Their fullback Devon Ramsay was still out, along with a backup safety. They were also without 3 starters for the entire season—Marvin Austin, Robert Quinn, and Greg Little.

Even still, I agree that Clemson should not be losing to a UNC team that finished 8-5. We honestly shouldn't ever lose to them regardless of what type of season they are having, nor what type of players are on their team.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't TCU ranked much higher than us that year?

Oct 9, 2013, 9:57 PM [ in reply to Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU? ]

I know they ended the regular season 12-0 and played Boise State in one of the BCS bowls. I remember thinking that it would be a great win for us to beat a team of that caliber.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They were ranked #15 but we were 3-pt favorites.***

Oct 9, 2013, 10:19 PM

Though I'm not sure that qualifies as pulling a Clemson.***

Oct 9, 2013, 11:25 PM

It doesn't at all. It was an unranked Clemson losing to a

Oct 10, 2013, 1:49 AM

top 15 team. Even if we were technically favorites, that's not the same as losing to Duke or something.

GO TIGERS

Re: Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU?

Oct 10, 2013, 12:07 AM [ in reply to Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU? ]

STILL NOT FAIR, BOTH GAMES HAD SOME IMPORTANT AND KEY PLAYERS OUT. YOUNG TEAM DIDN'T HANDLE LOST OF A KEY TEAM MATE OR CHANGES TO WELL. NOW THAT WE ARE OLDER WITH PLENTY OF DEPTH, ITS DOESN'T AFFECT US AS MUCH. WE HAVE SOME YOUNG PLAYERS ITCHING TO GET AN OPPORTUNITY TO PLAY. DEPTH CHANGED THE MINE SET OF THE WHOLE TEAM. THEY'RE NOW PLAYING FOR EACH OTHER AS A UNIT. WHETHER THEY ARE OUT OR ACTIVE. THERE'S A CONSTANT MOTIVATIONAL FACTOR PRESENT AT ALL TIME WITH THIS YEAR TEAM.

so you pull up the '09--'11 seasons ? dang, i thought only

Oct 10, 2013, 11:54 AM [ in reply to Dabo also contributed from 9/09-1/12. Remember 6-7? WVU? ]

women,espn, and usuc fans dug that deep into the past.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I replied to a post blaming only Bowden 99-'08. Dang funny!

Oct 10, 2013, 2:13 PM

You insult me for digging "deep into the past" to mention '09-'11 seasons but you didn't insult him for digging even deeper into the past to mention the Bowden era. What a hysterical double-standard.

You can't refute the facts so you insult me. How lame!

Re: Football Player Update: Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson"

Oct 9, 2013, 4:42 PM

Not sure what the Mac attack is but if is anti Mac Brown I'm all for it. ;)

TB is wise beyond his years. as smooth and polished as anyone I ever remember at CU

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 9, 2013, 11:12 PM

I see lot of you on here mentioning 2011 or before. How about 2012. Clemson lost two games last year. Florida St. when they were up going into the 4th quarter and South Carolina where they only had three possessions in the fourth quarter. If you want to call it anything, it should be call "pulling a Steele" because those were, for the most part his defenses. Last year was the first time the Clemson Tigers did not pull a Clemson. They lost to two top 25 teams (as a matter a fact top 15 teams) in the country. I wonder if we go undefeated with a blow out win against FSU and South Carolina, will anyone bring up "pulling a Clemson" ever again? If we win a National Championship, would anyone bring up "pulling a Clemson." If we dominate the ACC for the rest of the year...The point is if we look at recent history, we have begun to lose less games each year and we have begun to convincingly win games we are suppose to. Let's just see how 2013 ends up. I would like to never have to use that term again....

Oct 10, 2013, 12:16 AM

DURING BOTH OF THOSE GAMES YOU MENTION, WE HAD A TWO TOUCHDOWN LEAD. NOT A CHANCE THIS YEAR, IF WE GO UP TWO TOUCHDOWNS. OUR DEFENSE WILL LOOK TO ADD ONE OR TWO THEMSELVES TO THAT LEAD.

Like every gamecock ya meet these days,

Oct 10, 2013, 12:47 AM [ in reply to Re: Football Player Update: Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson" ]

your post is peppered with "selective" memory. Regardless of who uses that stupid phrase. And as Coach Swinney and many, many others have pointed out time and again with statistics and numbers to disprove it, its the opposite of reality.

Perhaps if good Clemson fans like yourself stop using that "term" (see your last sentence) and expose the people who do use it as ignorant turds, the phrase will disappear from use---except by chickentech fans who ALL have an agenda. Clemson has a long, proud football history and until we stop allowing the use of that phrase to go unchecked, it will continue

Message was edited by: tigrjm76®

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Football Player Update: Tajh Boyd on "Pulling a Clemson"***

Oct 9, 2013, 11:20 PM

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Oct 9, 2013, 11:24 PM

I'm just as sick as everyone else about hearing the pulling a "Clemson". Especially from skinny tie Palmer, however, I'm glad the media is still doing it and l hope they continue to do it because it keeps our guys & coaches pissed off and playing with a chip on their shoulder and something to prove. I honestly think it actually works in our favor but just like the rest of you guys l am tired of hearing it. I'm content to listen to it all the way to Pasedena though ;)

Go Tigers!!!

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

My thoughts exactly***

Oct 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

We hate that slang term, but...

Oct 10, 2013, 11:40 AM

I have come to the conclusion that it just makes the team work harder. Use it against those detractors.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: We hate that slang term, but...

Oct 10, 2013, 5:15 PM

I graduated from CU in '83 and was at the National Championship Orange Bowl. Since then, I've seen too many instances of CU just phoning in games towards the end of the season when the ACC is set and bowl options are not very good. Lots of talent with poor (spotty) coaching. Current crew of coaches (and Tahj) seem to be able to get them to focus on the upcoming game. Somebody needs to convince the players that the ONLY game of any importance is the next game (FSU is not important if we lose to BC). Watch the side-lines - if the players look like they are thinking about dinner - you might as well go home. Unfortunately, as we recruit farther away from South Carolina, our players seem less concerned with the USC game.... (certainly not as much as the fans!)

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic