Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fishing
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Fishing

May 19, 2019, 6:47 PM

Ladies and Gentlemen: It's been many years since I hung out my "GONE FISHING" sign. Spud and some of the other posters have been showing pics of their catches, and some were pretty good sized fish. That got me to wondering. Are those fish some I almost caught many years ago? Very well, could be, but that's just speculation and I'll leave speculation to our Gamecock friends in Columbia.

Somewhere in my current abode is my old tackle box, filled with antique lures and some other old stuff. It's probably in the attic above my garage. Some of those lures go back to my high school days so that would make them over 80 years old. Most of the newer ones I got in the late 1940's.

After WW2, I needed a new reel and spent a fortune (almost $10.) on one I thought would be an answer to all of my fishing problems. How wrong I was, I had more snags, tangled lines, back lashes and more problems than a shade tree mechanic, but I was having fun and catching a fish now and then between my reel problems.

During my high school years, a family friend, Uncle Barney, asked me if I liked to fish and if I would go with him regularly and operate the kicker, a "powerful" 5 HP job. One of his sons, "Sunny Boy", also liked to fish and he made a similar deal with one of my buddies. We fished many of the lakes in and around Gainesville & Ocala, FL., one of our favorites being Orange Lake. Orange Lake was a large lake with floating islands of water lilies, trees and snakes. Water lilies were all around the lake and depending on how the wind was blowing, they were solid for as much as 300 - 500 yards.

We left the boat dock in mid afternoon and were quite a distance from the boat dock. Dark clouds came up and it began to rain. The wind blew the water lilies toward the boat dock. Our alley toward the boat dock was completely blocked and no way was our 5 HP kicker powerful enough to make a dent with the lilies. So, we spent the night in the two boats on the lake.

The next morning, the employees at the boat dock cleared a path through the lilies and we were able to get back to the dock, get our boats on the trailers and head for home, a tired group of fishermen with not one fish in our creels.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gentle Joe . . .

May 19, 2019, 7:00 PM

To peruse through your old tackle box and listen to remembered exploits would be a wonderful adventure . . . a scotch or two may be involved along our way.

Thanks for always sharing!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

would bring some Macallan's 21 to this party***

May 20, 2019, 1:29 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fishing

May 19, 2019, 7:10 PM

:)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2019, 7:34 PM

Joe, be careful with those old lures. You may want to get them down, clean them up, and hit E-Bay. Those old lures are valuable. Many bring $45-$75 a piece and some even more. There are books available on values of old lures. I have some displayed on an old cypress tree stump in my man cave.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

technology has probably changed a lot since then,

May 19, 2019, 7:44 PM

I don't even use lures any more.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

he doesn't need the hassle of ebay and the fees

May 20, 2019, 1:33 AM [ in reply to Re: Fishing ]

I'll buy them if he wants to unload them. I have a feeling a thousand bucks isn't going to impact his life enough to get rid of his memories.

Maybe you can wet a hook when you're at Edisto

May 19, 2019, 7:45 PM

Or you can do like I do when I want some fish or
seafood badly, buy it at a store or restaurant.
Someone else has done all or a lot of the work.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Maybe you can wet a hook when you're at Edisto

May 19, 2019, 7:48 PM

Dynamite is also a sure way of getting fish. All won't be whole though.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 19, 2019, 7:50 PM

Those old lures from way back then, in these days they would most likely scare the fish to death, just paddle around, pick them up, and put them in the cooler!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I Think Joe Posted Another Fishing Story About a Year Ago

May 19, 2019, 8:27 PM

Something about a thermos of coffee and fishing a canal, I think.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I Think Joe Posted Another Fishing Story About a Year Ago

May 19, 2019, 8:41 PM

I don't remember the thermos of coffee but I do have two fish stories about the canal from Lake Okeechobee that runs through Belle Glade, FL. I'll retrieve them from the archives and repost one of these days. I've jotted down titles to ten fishing stories. Have some pics from my fishing days but like the lures, they're stashed away in some boxes. Same way with slides. I have thousands stored in boxes, probably in the attic. Heat and cold have probably ruined them.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's really cool Joe. My best memories from my childhood

May 20, 2019, 12:47 AM

Were fishing on Santee at my Grandpa's lakehouse.

I would love to see your old lures. I've always wanted to find some antique lures to hang on the wall in my office.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic