Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fire Brownell ?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 103
| visibility 1

Fire Brownell ?

Mar 19, 2018, 2:22 PM

Where is the fire B.B. crowd.I fully expected some numb nut to be here.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Waiting for the next loss.***

Mar 19, 2018, 2:28 PM

I'm right here

Mar 19, 2018, 2:28 PM

FIRE BROWNELL!!!

You think that because one of his 8 teams won two games in the tournament that makes him a great coach. Because one of these teams may or may not be a top 16 program, we were all wrong?

He has had one good season where THE PROGRAM is MAYBE TOP 16 and he's the greatest thing ever???

He has a .479 winning percentage in conference play. Let's lock him in for 10 years!!!

My fear ...

Mar 19, 2018, 2:36 PM

is that's exactly what DRad is going to do.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Was DRad the AD when GT went to the final game and they

Mar 19, 2018, 2:53 PM

gave that crap coach a lifetime contract after?

You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play

Mar 19, 2018, 3:17 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

Is the best in school history don't you?

of course not...That guy is an idiot***

Mar 19, 2018, 3:35 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play

Mar 19, 2018, 6:14 PM [ in reply to You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play ]

That's not impressive considering he inherited the program at arguably it's highest peak in history.

I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak***

Mar 19, 2018, 6:26 PM

Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak***

Mar 20, 2018, 3:23 PM

It may have not been the "peak" as far as how far we went in the post season...but in regards to the state of the program when it comes to consistency and recruiting it was the peak. There was an excitement around the program never before seen proven by attendance and the fact that Little John was considered one of the toughest places to play in the country.

But for some reason you weren't too excited....wonder why....

Mar 20, 2018, 3:28 PM

All that great recruiting which led to...what exactly?

You seem to hold OP in higher regard than other coaches...wonder why...(see that's a double edged sword)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 20, 2018, 3:48 PM

What do you mean "which led to what"?

The guy left in the middle of the night because of off the court issues. The program was more consistent than ever and recruiting had picked up tremendously. You can't blame Purnell because Brownell didn't keep the last class intact and failed to develop Milt and Devin Booker's game. Those two would have flourished in Purnell's system.

I hold him in high regard because I believe a coach with his up tempo style is exactly what a football school in a basketball conference needs to attract athletes and consistently compete.

Mar 20, 2018, 3:55 PM

The question is pretty simple, what did all of OP's "great recruiting" lead to?

Did he win the conference? A tourney game? Really anything of importance?

In short, no.

As it has been pointed out, the program was in no way "more consistent than ever," as you continually state.

I can most certainly blame Purnell for leaving in the middle of the night, killing the last class he had as that's 100% his fault.

With regards to Milton and Devin, they actually did somewhat develop under Brownell. However, the point you're missing is if they were such "highly rated recruits," as alluded to in your statement that recruiting had picked up tremendously, then the question becomes why did they need major development? Seems to me that would signal a miss in recruiting.

Lastly, you don't hold him in high regard you hold his "style" in high regard, but it doesn't seem that way?

Mar 20, 2018, 4:10 PM

Purnell inherited a dumpster fire. His recruiting started improving significantly toward the end of his tenure after he put our program on the map.

For you to say our program wasn't consistent and ignore 20+ wins four years in a row, 3 straight tourney appearances his last three seasons, 3 straight winning seasons in the ACC means you're either blatantly stupid or a racist POS....no other explanation.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:27 PM

It's not hard to recruit better than a "dumpster fire" so big surprise there.

How do you not understand that "consistency" isn't defined in a "regular season vacuum."

Were we consistent in the regular season? Yes.

Were we consistent in ACC and NCAA tourney play? Yes, we consistently lost in the first round.

Just because I don't believe that OP was the great Messiah of Clemson basketball that you do doesn't make me racist at all, but you consistently bringing that up certainly does make you a race baiting b!tch.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:42 PM

We didn't consistently lose in the first round of the ACC tournament. Purnell played for a ACC championship and lost by 5 to the eventual national champion....

If it's not the color of the man's skin what reason do you have to continually bash him and lie about his tenure here?

I don't want to call you a racist, I'm just out of options.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:47 PM

He lost in the first round 5 out of 7 tries, if that isn't consistency I'm not sure what is. Tack on the NCAA Tourney and that's 8 first round exits in 10 tournaments. Throw in the NIT and that makes for 9 out of 13 first round exits.

That's #### consistent if you ask me.

I don't bash him, I deal in the facts. He was great for Clemson at the time, and was wonderful for our regular seasons. He did have Littlejohn packed, but that's true of any point in our basketball history when we went on our winning streaks, not a rare occurrence attributed only to Purnell.

The issue here is how you've placed him on a pedestal of being the best thing to ever walk the campus for Clemson basketball, which simply, is not true.

He could be white, black, Asian, Hispanic, etc. and I would say the exact same things. That shouldn't be a hard concept to grasp, and certainly gives no reason to bring in any mention of race (unless you're trying to work that angle).

Mar 20, 2018, 5:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

5 out of 7 isnt consistent?

Jesus do some #### research.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 20, 2018, 5:21 PM

You can't judge Purnell by his entire 7 years considering what he inherited....that's common sense but I know you don't have any.

You are minimizing what Brownell inherited.

Mar 20, 2018, 7:58 PM

To you, and others who are also simpletons about this topic, all you see is a three year run of NCAA Tournaments. You see a couple of solid recruiting classes. What you don't see is:

-A final recruiting class with ONE player committed (Marcus Thornton), and a shaky talent base for 2011-2012 and beyond.
-Poor team chemistry, with several players threatening to transfer if Purnell returned for 2010-2011.
-Subpar team GPAs and graduation rates
-Little alumni/donor base for basketball

Brownell did not merely inherit "a consistent NCAA Tournament program" as you and others like to suggest. When you look a little deeper, you will see that Brownell inherited significant issues which were not fixable overnight.

Yes, Purnell did some wonderful things for our program on the heels of the Shyatt era. He improved the program significantly, which is what he does. He got us to the NCAAs, which was notable, but he showed that he could not win any games there. This seems to be the ceiling for Purnell-coached teams.

He knew that recruiting had dropped off, and he was not going to be able to continue that NCAA Tournament run after 2010-2011 at best. That had to play a role in his departure, along with other issues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 20, 2018, 9:02 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

Fine how about the final 3....

He left in the 1st round 2 of his last 3...

Seriously dude do some research you have no clue what you are talking about.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

And LOL at this statement:

"as alluded to in your statement that recruiting had picked up tremendously, then the question becomes why did they need major development? Seems to me that would signal a miss in recruiting."

First of all I never said they needed "major" development, and second are you saying every high rated high school athlete that doesn't come in and contribute immediately is a "miss"?

Wow.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:30 PM

Lol at something based off of things you've stated? I guess it's good to laugh at yourself sometimes. You've stated that the recruiting was "at an all time high" and even lauded the class rankings per 247sports.

Certainly that doesn't mean that players do not need development, but I would venture to guess that you would agree there is a correlation between recruiting rankings and time/amount of development needed, no?

I mean lets look at KJ, he was not highly rated and developed TREMENDOUSLY under Brownell. Yet, these 4 star guys and 5 star (Jennings) needed a lot of development, of which you claim Brownell couldn't do? That's ignorance at it's finest.

Wow.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:54 PM

I didn't claim Brownell could or couldn't do anything....but it's pretty stupid when people call Milt and Devin "busts" and blame OP for it when he didn't even coach them.

And KJ was a freak. He would have developed under anybody.

Mar 20, 2018, 5:26 PM

So OP can't be blamed that they didn't meet their recruiting ranking expectations but you can laud OP's recruiting and include them in that? Seems kind of backwards.

KJ was a freak athlete, he developed into a solid basketball player. The thing is, Brownell developed him so he does get credit. Saying he would have developed under anybody is a mere hypothetical.

Mar 20, 2018, 6:00 PM

Wow, that's a slap in the face to KJ.

Whether Milt or Devin were overrated or not is irrelevant....the point is players of their caliber were looking at Clemson basketball and it's because of the program Purnell built.

Brownell did not continue the success....he wallowed in mediocrity and has finally put a solid team together. He deserves credit for this season, but still has to prove he can do it consistently.

Mar 20, 2018, 6:05 PM

How, in the hell, is that a slap in the face to KJ? He was not highly rated, but worked and learned (under Brownell) and was ultimately drafted. It's more of a kudos than a slap, but strange you interpreted it that way.

How can you talk about "players of their caliber" and then turn around and state that whether they were overrated or not is irrelevant? You're contradicting yourself, and it of course is relevant because a part of coaching is talent evaluation.

Brownell did not continue the success because he had to fix the issues with the program, namely, we didn't have a lot of talent left from Purnell, or they all left when they actually had to play basketball and not a gimmick scheme.

He certainly has to prove he can do it consistently, no one is arguing that so I'm not sure why it's been included.

Mar 20, 2018, 7:14 PM

Are you really too dumb to understand the concept of a program attracting highly rated players? The fact that a five star all American chose to come to Clemson speaks highly of the program Purnell built.

We are not attacking five star all Americans now....

You seem to be too caught up in recruiting rankings.

Mar 20, 2018, 8:13 PM

The highly rated class you keep referring to included 5-star Milton Jennings and 4-star Noel Johnson. That was a great class on paper, based on recruiting rankings. However, anyone with any knowledge of basketball realized after just a handful of games that neither player was nearly as good as billed.

Jennings didn't become the superstar many thought he would, and Johnson failed to flourish at Clemson or at Auburn. It doesn't really matter when you have great recruiting classes that don't pan out. Think Willy Korn, Mike Bellamy, and Kelvin Grant but in a basketball uniform.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Mar 20, 2018, 9:01 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

lol you still think Milton Jennings was a legit 5 Star.....

That says all I need to know about your basketball knowledge.

A "solid team" this year huh?!?

Mar 20, 2018, 8:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

A team that is far and away superior to ANY team Oliver Purnell ever coached, at Clemson or anywhere else! A team that is one of the best Clemson has ever had.

It's sad that your devotion to Purnell, for whatever reason, prevents you from giving proper credit to Brownell, his coaches, and these players for an outstanding season.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

"Those two would have flourished in Purnell's system. "

You dont know that.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:04 PM

Sure he does, they weren't basketball players but athletes instead.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:11 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

He was building a pretty solid program. No reason to think they wouldn't have fit his system.

But you're just looking for reasons to hate on him for some reason....

Mar 20, 2018, 4:15 PM

lol you really going to try and drop the race card again Skeeter3?

Good lord you are a joke.

Also, Booker did get better each year under Brownell but dont let that get in your way...

I have said to you numerous times I appreciate what OP did when he was here but I have also stated the facts that he plateaued at Clemson and left like a coward. Take that race card bull #### elsewhere.

His last great recruiting class that you love to bring up was full of over rated busts... You really going to try and argue that Milton Jennings was a 5 star player?

Mar 20, 2018, 4:50 PM

"plateaued"

Lol. A better assessment would be he built a program from dirt to consistency....three straight winning seasons in the ACC....never before been done and hasn't since. Three straight trips to the NCAA tourney....never before been done and hasn't since....

Yet above in this thread you and ####### are bragging about a .478 winning percentage in the ACC for Brownell. Like I said, you're either blatantly stupid or there is some other factor at play here.

Mar 20, 2018, 4:59 PM

No where did I brag about a .478 winning % I posted a FACT that it is the highest in team history.

Sorry my facts trigger you so much. You act very much like a sad little liberal though. When you are getting your ### handed to you in a debate you automatically go to the race card and try to accuse others of things they didnt say.

His record was the very definition of plateaued sorry that hurts your feelings but it is true.

Mar 20, 2018, 5:25 PM

But you ignore the fact that he inherited a program that was consistently above .500 in the ACC.

You call it plateaued because you're a hater, most people can clearly see that we quickly went from #### to top half of the ACC and stayed there. The fact that recruiting improved drastically the last couple years only means we would have continued to improve.

That doesn't have anything to do with right now and I wouldn't bring it up if I didn't see all this delusion.

Mar 26, 2020, 9:26 AM

Seriously do you do any research before yapping?

You would seem like less of an idiot if you did...

9-7
10-6
9-7
9-7

Those were his last 4 years in the ACC.

That is the very definition of Plataued.

Mar 20, 2018, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

Barnes went to the tourney three straight times (years 2-4).

Nobody is hating on anyone. Stating facts is not hate!

Mar 20, 2018, 4:59 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

We moved on but you live in the past and can’t for some reason.

There is no reason to believe that we would've progressed

Mar 20, 2018, 8:14 PM [ in reply to Re: I've got news for you, that was NOT our peak*** ]

beyond making the NCAA Tournament and winning ZERO games there. In fact, there is more evidence to suggest that we wouldn't have kept our yearly NCAA appearances going, based on the talent level Purnell left behind.

Purnell never won an NCAA Tournament game anywhere. Why on earth do you believe that he would've changed that if he had stayed at Clemson?

Re: You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play

Mar 19, 2018, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play ]

That is a sad, desperate reply.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Rick Barnes had a .438 ACC record ...

Mar 20, 2018, 7:54 AM

... and Oliver Purnell was .446.

Just to add a bit of perspective.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I see the dummazz train has picked up

Mar 19, 2018, 9:58 PM [ in reply to Re: You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play ]

another passenger.....gettin' mighty crowded by this time I imagine

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I also realize he had the benefit of playing a weaker

Mar 20, 2018, 8:35 AM [ in reply to You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play ]

unbalanced schedule.

The man & this team are having a fantastic year, but he had one foot in the grave coming into 2017-2018 for #### good reasons.

He had no credit, no money left in the bank, absolutely no ground left to stand on after the embarrassing loss to Oakland at home to end another disappointing campaign, something his teams had become known for in his tenure, that or just flat out quitting.

This is how a 3rd Party views Clemson basketball since '97-98[as far as the list goes back] and before someone says they don't like RPI, take it up with the post-season committees that do? It's important and very telling as to why Coach Brownell was packing for another job before this year, no matter how many times you pound that ridiculous ACC drum, because he feasted on the dregs of the league.

https://www.teamrankings.com/ncb/rpi/?date=1998-04-01

If you're a Tiger fan, I'm not sure how you can't laud the man, his staff & team for the tremendous year they're having. The players aren't stupid, they knew it was do or die this year and to their credit, they came together in kicking off the season, then again & perhaps even more so after DG went down.

Kudos to them all, but please stop massaging his tenure up to this year, there's reason, real reason DRad raped his buy-out and gave him 1 year to hopefully land Zion and/or one last go round before the door.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What was Cliff Ellis's percentage? We won the ACC Regular

Mar 20, 2018, 12:51 PM [ in reply to You do realize a .479 winning percentage in league play ]

Season one year.

Cliff was .384 in the ACC***

Mar 20, 2018, 2:52 PM

Re: I'm right here

Mar 19, 2018, 3:17 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

Well it is the best we've done in 20 years, tied for the most wins ever in a single season, and his ACC winning percentage is a full .100 higher than our historical average.

Not saying lock him down for 10 years, but anyone that wants to fire him right now is a moron.

Mar 20, 2018, 2:04 PM

Give him a raise. Give him an extension with 5 years as total. Medium to low buyout! Make the contract laced with incentives.

Mar 19, 2018, 3:34 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

"He has a .479 winning percentage in conference play."

That is a school record....

Criticize away for not making the NCAA T 7 years in a row but at least know the facts. The main reason we have missed the NCAA T the last few years was due to bad losses OOC.

You mean...to like....

Mar 19, 2018, 4:11 PM

D1 teams?

Re: You mean...to like....

Mar 19, 2018, 4:13 PM

umm wut

It's a school record for a school that hasn't had much

Mar 20, 2018, 1:43 AM [ in reply to Re: I'm right here ]

basketball success in its history. It's still below .500

Re: It's a school record for a school that hasn't had much

Mar 20, 2018, 7:48 AM

Doesnt change the fact that it is a school record and better than many of the people that some on the board still fawn over.

Mar 19, 2018, 6:27 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

I am of the crowd that likes brownell. I think he's had some key losses not go his way which has hurt his coaching career. BUT, up until this last year clemson had some of the worst bball facilities in the ACC. Brownell had very little to work with from a recruiting standpoint. I will give him a few years to see what he can do given the upgrades.

If you don't think Brownell is a good coach you don't know a ton about the game. His defensive philosophy is excellent and with offensive talent he can produce. If he doesn't get results consistently with the upgraded facilities I will be fine to let him go. Just don't jump the gun yet to fire him.

Mar 19, 2018, 7:43 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

Why is this conversation even taking place? Sit back and enjoy the success of the basketball team instead of talking about letting the coach go. Sometimes this site makes me sick.

Mar 20, 2018, 2:56 PM

I don't know why the convo is taking place. All I know is this year has been awesome and I'm supportive of our coach and team. Go Tigers!

You two must not visit the boards often, or during the games***

Mar 20, 2018, 2:57 PM

Mar 19, 2018, 8:46 PM [ in reply to I'm right here ]

In terms of Clemson coaches he is one of the best.

Look it up and also refresh your memory about the history of Clemson basketball.

CoachBB is and has been doing a solid job.

I think coach mac is at lunch...

Mar 19, 2018, 2:30 PM

so I'll field this question. Did you have anyone in particular in mind?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Dave Odom's kid @ UMBC

Mar 19, 2018, 2:41 PM

Probably the hottest coach around this week.

If he stays hot, we'll have to replace him in 5 years.
If he's a flash in the pan, we'll have to replace him in 5 years.

Brad might make another 5 years with maybe 2 more tourney wins. Might.

I don't see how we lose. Other than whatever buyout we owe BB.

Deja Moo: The feeling that you've heard this bull before.

Greg Marshall, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Will Wade...

Mar 19, 2018, 3:38 PM [ in reply to I think coach mac is at lunch... ]

Same old tired ### list as always

Re: Greg Marshall, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Will Wade...

Mar 19, 2018, 3:39 PM

Whoever said Bruce Pearl? Why the hell would you want that guy here with the cloud that will follow him.

Sadly, it was said frequently before Auburn hired him, and I

Mar 19, 2018, 3:49 PM

always asked the same question...Why do you want to get investigated?

All of whom are sitting at home, with their seasons over.***

Mar 19, 2018, 7:33 PM [ in reply to Greg Marshall, Bruce Pearl, Shaka Smart, Will Wade... ]

He could win the natty

Mar 19, 2018, 2:30 PM

and still average less than one tourney win per year.

#justsaying

Re: He could win the natty

Mar 19, 2018, 3:10 PM

My impression is that BB is good with the x's and o's but not a particularly good recruiter. On the other hand, Dabo is a remarkable recruiter and perhaps not a great blackboard guy. Am I wrong?

Mar 19, 2018, 3:22 PM

Probably

Mar 19, 2018, 3:33 PM [ in reply to Re: He could win the natty ]

I dunno - someone on here said Brad wins with brute talent alone and is actually a terrible coach.

How many more NCAA T wins does he need to hold the

Mar 19, 2018, 3:46 PM [ in reply to He could win the natty ]

record at Clemson? He's already tied with Barnes for 3rd...We win Friday and he's tied for 1st place

School record is three. Foster, Ellis and Barnes

Mar 19, 2018, 5:30 PM

so he is tied. Only one other coach has taken us to the dance and he won zero

Yep...Three is the record...Hope Brad breaks it this season***

Mar 19, 2018, 6:23 PM

He took over a program on the rise

Mar 19, 2018, 6:19 PM [ in reply to How many more NCAA T wins does he need to hold the ]

and has landed one big fish in recruiting in almost a decade. He's had one team get hot at the right time for one year. If he coaches here 10 years and wins 2 tourney games (I don't count the play in game as a tourney win), you'll consider him a success? I won't.

He has won more ACC games than anybody in our History, he

Mar 19, 2018, 6:32 PM

has won more ACCT games than anybody in our history, he is currently 1 NCAAT W from that record as well...How do you define success?

Making the tournament every 3 years or so

Mar 19, 2018, 6:40 PM

Making the sweet 16 twice each decade. Fact is none of those other coaches were given the resources Brad was. It would have been nice if he could have built upon what OP started, a tradition of making the tournament and fielding fun teams to watch that were competitive. Oh well, I guess we'll settle for a bunch of stats that compare him to a different time, when the ACC had zero gimme games and we had poor facilities and no home court advantage. Yes, he does well when being compared to those years. I guess one good year in 10 is worth giving him a lifetime contract.

He's had decent facilities for TWO years and we have been

Mar 19, 2018, 6:56 PM

to the postseason in both of them...I'll take 2 Sweet 16s a decade...It would be a significant improvement over past coaches, your Messiah included...Still waiting on his 1st trip into the Round of 32 no?

At least his teams were fun to watch

Mar 19, 2018, 6:57 PM

Not my fault you're a rassist. I had fun watching OP's teams.

What's so fun about losing to double digit seeds in the 1st

Mar 19, 2018, 7:08 PM

round? Each loss worse than the next...Wooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Re: At least his teams were fun to watch

Mar 20, 2018, 7:52 AM [ in reply to At least his teams were fun to watch ]

Ah the race card.

You and Jhop are both pathetic.

Clemson did Larry Shyatt wrong in making them play at

Mar 20, 2018, 12:49 PM [ in reply to He's had decent facilities for TWO years and we have been ]

Anderson Civic Center.

Re: Making the tournament every 3 years or so

Mar 20, 2018, 7:52 AM [ in reply to Making the tournament every 3 years or so ]

"Fact is none of those other coaches were given the resources Brad was."

No offense but that is bull ####.

We have had some of the worst facilities in the ACC for most of his tenure. When he got the job we were being passed from the Little John bandaid of 2003.

Re: He took over a program on the rise

Mar 20, 2018, 7:50 AM [ in reply to He took over a program on the rise ]

What big fish did OP land?

Milton Jennings? Who many big programs backed off of towards the end?

Re: How many more NCAA T wins does he need to hold the

Mar 20, 2018, 1:36 PM [ in reply to How many more NCAA T wins does he need to hold the ]

Trying to compare NCAA victories across different tournament eras is apple and oranges. Foster’s run to the elite 8 in a 48 team field is probably more impressive than anything anyone else has done. To equate those victories with the 2011 play-in game versus UAB (something that had not previously existed) is ridiculous.

You are just as stupid as your screen name! Just sayin!***

Mar 19, 2018, 9:40 PM [ in reply to He could win the natty ]

It would be ridiculous to fire him after this season. We

Mar 19, 2018, 3:32 PM

need to wait and see if this NCAA Tournament run translates into a good offseason in terms of recruiting, and if we continue to play good basketball next year. Brownell has managed one really good team in his entire tenure. Can he keep it up? Consistency is important. One good season shouldn't secure a long-term contract.

For the life of me I cannot understand all the Brownell

Mar 19, 2018, 6:06 PM

haters we have. I did not notice any serious “Fire Monte” posts after this past weekend. I don’t know what kind of recruiter Brad is, and I acknowledge that Dabo is a great one but let’s put a few things in prospective.

Compare our football facilities to our basketball ones. Check out how many sold out games our football team has to our basketball ones. Remember that our basketball team had to play it’s home games in Greenville for a year, and they had to sometimes practice off campus.

Brad is one of the best coaches in the ACC. I recall after Brad’s first game at Duke Coach K mentioned in his press conference how impressed he was with what we did with what we Brad had.

Dan R. knows what he is doing. He is a professional Athletic Director. Would you rather us have Ray Tanner? Just because you were a good head coach does not necessarily mean you would be a good AD.. You have to take little steps before you can take long strides.

My biggest fear (and I am sure a lot of posters would hope happen) is some major school AD might come looking for Brad. And, if he left us, I would not blame him! Should that happen, I ask all you experts, “who would we hire?”

Give the guy a break!!!

football always sold out even before Dabo. BB

Mar 19, 2018, 6:17 PM

never has

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Always sold out???? Are you serious??? LOL!!***

Mar 19, 2018, 9:43 PM

Actually, football RARELY sold out before Danny

Mar 14, 2016, 9:54 PM

I was a student in the late 60s - early 70s when the only time football sold out for the SCAR game every other year.

For most games, the north stands were empty from the EZ all the way out to the 25-30 yard line.

All students got tickets in prime seats in the South stands.

People who believe football has *always* sold out just aren't old enough to know better.

Agree with everything you wrote!***

Mar 20, 2018, 5:03 PM

Re: For the life of me I cannot understand all the Brownell

Mar 19, 2018, 6:17 PM [ in reply to For the life of me I cannot understand all the Brownell ]

Again....the coach before him had the same hurdles to deal with and he built a solid program much quicker. It's yet to be seen if Brownell will sustain the run we're having this year. Hope he does.

How many NCAAT games did your Messiah win in 3 trips?

Mar 19, 2018, 6:34 PM

Brad has scoreboard

If we lose in a regional again this year

Mar 20, 2018, 6:59 PM [ in reply to For the life of me I cannot understand all the Brownell ]

The "Fire Monte" posts won't be so sarcastic anymore

Re: Fire Brownell ?

Sep 15, 2016, 7:19 AM

These posts are so dumb. I've never called for Brownell to be fired but those who did had a legitimate argument up until this season.

They still do

Mar 19, 2018, 6:20 PM

One decent tournament run does not almost a decade of failure resolve.

You do realize we are in Clemson, right?

Mar 19, 2018, 6:40 PM

Our basketball culture (and yes, that includes you, the fan) has been absolutely dismal throughout my lifetime.

Our administration finally made a commitment, and seems the fans are increasingly holding up their end (as we win more, of course).

The irony is you probably didn't go to single basketball game this year.

Culture matters.

You're right

Mar 20, 2018, 9:29 AM

we should be happy making the tournament once every 8 years.

My bad.

Re: Fire Brownell ?

Mar 19, 2018, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Fire Brownell ? ]

lol bull ####

They will return

Mar 19, 2018, 6:15 PM

just as soon as we get down by 3 points in a game.

I have always supported Brownell because

Mar 19, 2018, 6:59 PM

we couldn't get anyone better anyways except for another dooshnosel like barnes

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

and there's always that***

Mar 19, 2018, 7:08 PM

I think we should probably put that off until later sometime***

Mar 19, 2018, 7:59 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BB deserves an extension and big raise

Mar 20, 2018, 1:23 PM

One of the greatest seasons ever in Clemson history under massive pressure. He will be at Clemson longer than Dabo Swinney. That will really make the haters angry. That means Will Wade will have to go somewhere else for his next job.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 103
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic