Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Finebaum today with a caller and the problem in a nutshell:
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 54
| visibility 1

Finebaum today with a caller and the problem in a nutshell:

Aug 4, 2017, 6:45 PM

I was listening to Finebaum on the way home from work today. A Bama fan called to talk about FSU game and at the end he called Clemson the college football version of Dexie's Midnight Runners and saying that they would be a one-hit wonder regarding the national championship. Paul readily agreed.

Here's the problem with the one-hit wonder comment. It is kind of hard to be a one-hit wonder in national championships when you have already won two. I guess that kind of kills that right there. I'm sure Georgia (1 natty), Auburn (1 1/2 natties) would like to be a one hit wonder like us. And so would all but 11 teams out of 124 FBS programs.

Then the caller went on to say that Clemson's next national champion coach was in the 5th grade right now, implying that it might be 30 years before we win another. Even if that proves to be true, a third national championship is something only 10 teams in the country can say they have done. Another problem with that is we just completed a back to back appearance in playing for the title. Only about 7 or 8 schools have ever appeared in back to back games in which they had a chance to win the title. And even perennial powers have long spells between title games, let alone titles. I fully expect we will be in the conversation for playoffs two or three times in the next 10 years, maybe not this year. But the fact is, we will never ever be a one-hit wonder. That is an impossibility. But even if we were to go a decade, or two, or three, we would be in the same time frame as most of the schools that have won multiple natties.

Alabama (10 titles) went 17 years from 1992 to 2009 without winning one.
Notre Dame (8 titles) currently on year 29 without a title.
Oklahoma (7 titles) currently 17 years without.
Miami (5 titles) currently 16 years.
Southern Cal (5 titles) currently 13 years.
Nebraska (4 titles) currently 22 years without.
Minnesota (4 titles) currently 57 years without.
Texas (3 titles) currently 12 years without.
FSU (3 titles) 6 years between first and second, 14 years between second and third.
LSU (2 titles) 49 years after the first and now 10 years after the second.
Michigan (2 titles) 49 years between first and second and now 20 years after the second.
Penn State (2 titles) currently 31 years without.
Tennessee (2 titles) 47 years between the first and second and now 19 years since the second.
Auburn (1 1/2 titles) 53 years between the first half title and now 7 years since the second.
Georgia ( 1 title) currently 37 years without.

He also said Clemson fans should act like they've been there before.. So what in the world is the crime the Clemson fans have been committing for him to say that? I'll tell you, the crime is we have had the audacity to celebrate a national title. Alabama has won 16, really only 10 if you just count AP and UPI to present. But anyway, with as many titles as they have won, they still don't act like they've been there before. And why should any fan? It's called being passionate, rabid and excited about the victory. Isn't that what the SEC says makes their league special? It just means more?

So why does Finebaum and Bama fans have such a problem with Clemson fans all of a sudden? Finebaum had nothing but complements for Clemson fans after the Glendale national championship game. He raved about Clemson fans and what good sports they were on the flight back. Nothing but class. You see we're good people as long as we lose the game. And even this year, in the first few months after the game, he had nothing but complements for Clemson and its fans. Because what else could he say? He would have looked like an obvious jerk. But as the year has gone on, they are really getting more and more butt hurt about losing that game. That's all there is to it, nothing more nothing less. The simple answer he should give is that "Dabo has an excellent program going over there in Clemson, both on and off the field. I doubt they make a run for the national title this year, due to a new quarterback. But if a quarterback catches fire early, they certainly have the defense, wide receivers, offensive line and supporting cast to make things very interesting. However, I do doubt they make a run this year, but with Hunter and Lawrence waiting in the wings and the excellent supporting cast, I see them being seriously in the conversation for a few years after this year." So why doesn't he? Because he is mad because Clemson won the national championship and its fans had the nerve to celebrate it as passionately as any SEC fanbase would do.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AP_National_Championship_Trophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AFCA_National_Championship_Trophy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff_National_Championship_Trophy

Best winning percentage in the playoff 3-1, 750%
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/College_Football_Playoff

I usually split time on the radio between Packer's show and Finebaum's show. But if Finebaum is going to be this obviously personal about it, who needs him. I'll listen to Packer, 60's on 6, 70's on 7 etc. on sattelite.

But I will always be very grateful to Finebaum for one thing. That Finebaum Film Room broadcast from Tampa was priceless. And thanks to Youtube, it is forever. Thanks Paul. And just remember, at 12:20 a.m. on January 10, 2017, there was a low tide in Tampa, Florida!!!!
Roll Tears Roll!!!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Plus, it's time for all the SEC hype to start up***

Aug 4, 2017, 6:53 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

One more thing: Like a Masters championship, a Wimbledon

Aug 4, 2017, 6:53 PM

title, an Academy Award, a National Championship is forever. To win one is lore forever, tow win two puts you in another class altogether.

2 words Maestro,

Aug 4, 2017, 6:54 PM

Butt-hurt. Finebaum has pictures of Saben on his nightstand. It is what it is.

Re: 2 words Maestro,

Aug 5, 2017, 1:20 PM

In addition to the pic, he has a body pillow with the case being a full-size Saban! ;) How weird is that!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Finebaum today with a caller and the problem in a nutshell:

Aug 4, 2017, 6:57 PM

He is definitely a Bammer homer no doubt about that, even though he is a Tenn grad. I do believe that he said not too long ago that if he had a son/s, he would want them to play for Coach Swinney (not 100 percent certain). He might just be a closet Clemson fan haha.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He did indeed say that multiple times.***

Aug 4, 2017, 6:58 PM

Aug 4, 2017, 11:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum today with a caller and the problem in a nutshell: ]

To have a son would require one to get a woman pregnant. Have you seen Finebaum?

Aug 5, 2017, 8:59 AM

He has offspring. I have a drawer full of them in my shop. "Wingnut"

Aug 4, 2017, 7:00 PM

Good post, +1

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

meant .750***

Aug 4, 2017, 7:00 PM

Aug 4, 2017, 7:02 PM

Excellent, excellent post my friend. I'm not sure why any Clemson fan would want to listen to him. He always downplayed us before the back to back title appearances as well. SEC bamer batch.

Aug 4, 2017, 7:16 PM

Excellent post. Bama is butt hurt because they will be known as the loser of one of if not the one all time best Natty !!

Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call

Aug 4, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Re: Finebaum today with a caller and the problem in a nutshell: ]

I posted about. She made very good points and he and his two flunkies (one of which is going to get a show in the Carolina's. Hope Clemson fans ignore his show as well) just made a big joke of her. Paul acted like he fell asleep. I agree with you completely. I can't see why any Clemson fan would call that show at all. The best thing is if Clemson fans just ignore it and let them never hear from any of our fans again. I have never called it, but as I said I listen to it about split with Packer. Now, I'm just not even going to tune in to Finebaum at all. We have an alum with his own show on Satellite and even if not an alum, he is serious and had decent respect for his callers. But the best thing that could happen is for Paul to just not get any calls from Clemson fans.

Re: Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call

Aug 4, 2017, 11:41 PM

Listening to finebomb would be akin to listening to corncoot! Why would anyone do that

Aug 4, 2017, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

Listening to finebomb would be akin to listening to corncoot! Why would anyone do that

Aug 4, 2017, 11:41 PM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

Aug 4, 2017, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

Aug 4, 2017, 11:42 PM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

I agree about ignoring him, but disagree about it going away

Aug 5, 2017, 12:10 AM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

because they will manufacture a Clemson fan. The bottom line with what happened is Paul got read the riot act. Like many have suggested his show and his paycheck is simply. S. E. C. There was one caller that was posted on here that Paul went off on and put words in his mouth. I think was the show where he had the Greenville guy that covers Clemson on as well. If you listen to that clip, then you will clearly see Paul has an agenda. An agenda handed to him by his bosses.

Always follow the $$$ and you will always understand how things work....always!

Aug 5, 2017, 12:43 PM [ in reply to Yes, another woman made good comments today after the call ]

Yeah. I saw that. I believe if you're going to have a call in show,and the callers are courteous and respectful to the host, then he should return the same to the caller. This lady was in no way disrespectful to finnybum. Save the comedy for the bama, and other sec clowns.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so we're a one hit wonder who needs to act like we have been

Aug 4, 2017, 7:09 PM

there before? Can someone explain that one to me?

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly what I was thinking

Aug 4, 2017, 7:36 PM

SEC logic

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson Football, the glory days are here!

Re: so we're a one hit wonder who needs to act like we have been

Aug 5, 2017, 2:28 PM [ in reply to so we're a one hit wonder who needs to act like we have been ]

There are some things that can't ever be explained!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Finebaum is playing to his base

Aug 4, 2017, 7:10 PM

which is Alabama fans. That's pretty obvious. Most of these radio and TV guys do the same thing. Most do not necessarily believe what they are saying, but it's about the money/website hits/listening audience. No different than any other business.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

110% correct my friend

Aug 4, 2017, 7:24 PM

Phyllis and the backwoods Bama fans keep Finebaum relevant. Not that there aren't plenty of high brow Bama fans - there are. They are not the fans tuned in daily to Finebaum. P. F. is showing his loyalty to the fans who are loyal to him. That is all. This Tiger is pulling for Jimbo to kick Saban's a$$. As for Clemson, our team has to overcome the loss of Deshaun to shut Finebaum up - a tough task.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

FSU is talented but they dont have the lines - especially

Aug 4, 2017, 7:30 PM

Offensive line to beat Bama. I don't think most people realize Finebaum is a Tennessee grad. He has no ties to Bama other than radio. I'm sure he isn't pulling for Bama over UT. It's business - I'd do and say the same if I were in his position.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: 110% correct my friend

Aug 5, 2017, 2:58 PM [ in reply to 110% correct my friend ]

Bama's reign of being on the very top for as long as they have, came to an end January 9th 2017 I do believe.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

110% correct my friend

Aug 4, 2017, 7:25 PM [ in reply to Finebaum is playing to his base ]

Phyllis and the backwoods Bama fans keep Finebaum relevant. Not that there aren't plenty of high brow Bama fans - there are. They are not the fans tuned in daily to Finebaum. P. F. is showing his loyalty to the fans who are loyal to him. That is all. This Tiger is pulling for Jimbo to kick Saban's a$$. As for Clemson, our team has to overcome the loss of Deshaun to shut Finebaum up - a tough task.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson and Dabo will likely hurt his feelings again within the next few years***

Aug 4, 2017, 7:33 PM

Bama...

Aug 4, 2017, 7:40 PM

LOSERS in 2016 Natty!

It's true Paul

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

His feelings aren't a bit hurt. As others have said, it is his job to be an SEC homer.

Aug 4, 2017, 7:43 PM [ in reply to Clemson and Dabo will likely hurt his feelings again within the next few years*** ]

I think Paul does a great job. Cant say I've ever watched his show for,more than 10 minutes straight. I usually just watch/listen to make myself feel better about my life. After about 10 minutes I feel smarter and more accomplished. Back in the day, this is the reason I would watch bits and pieces of Cops.

I think Paul is a sharp guy who knows how to keep his viewers happy.

Its about time for kickoff, and he is now playing to his base. If we ever get a full blown ACC network going I dont expect the PF equivalent to show much reverence towards any SEC school, champion or not.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: His feelings aren't a bit hurt. As others have said, it is his job to be an SEC homer.

Aug 5, 2017, 3:01 PM

I think that Firebum has overplayed the same hand.

Anyone who listens or calls Finebum is in company with red

Aug 4, 2017, 7:53 PM

neck trash!

Only time I listen is when I am driving home from work. And

Aug 4, 2017, 8:03 PM

in Atlanta, that can be for as long as an hour from one part of the city to another and not even leaving the city limits. I am going to just keep it on Packer from now on, or one of the music stations on Satellite.

Aug 4, 2017, 8:03 PM

Well said, this post backs you up ... https://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=21902910&start=0#21902910

Also, it has been almost a half century since Alabama lost a bowl game that cost them the National Championship. Nebraska, Orange Bowl, 1972. 46 years ago. They don't know what to do with what we did to them.

*Note, they lost to Notre Dame in the Sugar Bowl two years later, but still claim that as one of their National Championships!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sell out - playing to the bill payers..

Aug 4, 2017, 8:04 PM

would do the same in today's world -

just take it for what its worth - wouldn't get all up tight about it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 4, 2017, 8:13 PM

Sounds like someone is still butthurt about losing to us....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Whatever choice(s) you make makes you. Choose wisely.

Your first and fatal mistake was

Aug 4, 2017, 8:20 PM

sentence one. I suggest another channel, or other fare, relax, eat some chocolate, and get ready to enjoy another title run.

Aug 4, 2017, 8:28 PM

As leader of the SEC spin machine, this time of year he must tour all things Bammer. This is why when he gets on Gameday, the actual professionals like Kirk and Dez make him sit at the kid's table.

Well said!***

Aug 4, 2017, 8:34 PM

GO TIGERS!!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

good post.....

Aug 4, 2017, 8:54 PM

apparently, attempting to insult the opponent provides Bama fans and Finebaum with a crutch and makes them feel better about losing to a better team....no matter what happens in the future they'll walk with a limp over this one for a LONG time

Aug 4, 2017, 9:19 PM

The SEC basically writes his paycheck, so Paul is going to kiss that SEC tail.

Great post, tu.. But why in the heck would you ever listen to Paul over Packer?

Aug 5, 2017, 1:06 AM

Packer is fair, knowledgeable, and informed. Paul just talks down about not Bama. Its like watching Real Housewives instead of House of Cards. Just never a good choice..

null

Yes, I would go back and forth between them, but not any

Aug 5, 2017, 8:41 AM

more. It's just going to be Packer. Packer and I were the same exact years at Clemson, 81 to 85. We actually both lived on the same floor in Johnstone our freshman and soph years, Johnstone F-5. The golf tema lived on that hall at the time, along with people not on the team. I was good friends with most of the golfers. He has a much better show and I would say this even if he wasn't a Clemson alum and fan.

Aug 5, 2017, 8:52 AM

Follow the money.

Finebaum is Saban's personal ball boy.***

Aug 5, 2017, 10:08 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 5, 2017, 2:24 PM

The best thing that you can do with two faced people, that is to recognize both faces, and know when their drivel is flowing from the crack of their 2nd face!!!!

Replies: 54
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic