Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Fifty Years Ago
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 2,199

Fifty Years Ago

Oct 7, 2019, 12:52 PM

1969 was Frank Howard’s last season as Clemson’s football coach. Behind the rushing of Ray Yauger, Clemson beat Georgia Tech 21-10 on Oct 4.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Fifty Years Ago

Oct 7, 2019, 1:07 PM

I was at that game - I was a senior then. The last time Clemson had beaten Georgia Tech before that was 1945, and my dad was a cadet at Clemson then. (It should have been his senior year, but he'd had to take a couple of years off for WWII and had just gotten back.)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was 28 then & working in G'ville SC and

Oct 7, 2019, 1:32 PM

soon to have a 2nd child, my Boy who would soon become a Clemson Fan & 17 yrs later a student.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:15 PM

I was 13 years young . . . Sitting on the crest of The Hill with my younger brother and older sister . . .
Screaming our heads off!!!!!!! . . . At all the home games anyway . . . If it was in Atlanta, we would have stayed with Dad's Sister, Sally, and been there too!!!

Good Times . . . Great Memories!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 7:38 PM

That game was played in Atlanta. I think Georgia Tech’s first visit to Clemson was 1974. I was a freshman.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 3:20 PM

Woodstock

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great win - GO TIGERS***

Oct 7, 2019, 4:10 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 4:41 PM

I remember Frank Howard's distinct Southern drawl too. A lot of those guys had that accent or a form of it - like Vince Dooley. There were variations. Howard & guys like Strom Thurmond pronounced words such as "germ" like - "juh-eem." No "r" sounds. Howard called Ray Yauger - "Ray YAAW-GUH."

Then all the Yankees started coming down and those common accents were blended out.

"Good play. YAAW-GUH aawf tackle fuh five to the foe-dee & a fooist down. That YAAW-GUH - he does some mighty fine runnin'..."

I remember that game for this reason:

Oct 7, 2019, 7:58 PM

I remember that game for this reason:

Lived in South Georgia at the time. (Was as senior in high school.) One of the neighbors was a big Clemson fan, probably in his 40s. After the game he was at our house and visibly crying. All he could say was, "I never thought I would live long enough to see Clemson beat GT."

Context: Back in the 50s and into the 60s, GT was a national powerhouse. Bobby Dodd was an extremely successful coach. Clemson played them every year and were heavy underdogs virtually every time they played.

Also, back then, I was young and foolish. Had two uncles that went to GT. My dad was an FSU grad (and Bill Peterson was still building the program). In Georgia you were either a UGA fan or a GT fan. My family was in the GT camp. I can still remember some verses of the GT fight song.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 8:05 PM

I was a Company Commander in Germany in the US Army (Combat Engineers) and thanked God every day for that assignment. (Class of 1966) I try to remember how fortunate I was/am when my beloved Tigers do not do as well as I would like but I am human and I fail :)

I was at Ft Benning a few days away

Oct 7, 2019, 8:05 PM

From airborne school - wasn’t aware of anything civilian at the time

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2019, 8:09 PM

I was there. I played in that game.

Replies: 11
| visibility 2,199
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive