Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Feedback about our football camp.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

Feedback about our football camp.

Jul 31, 2017, 8:43 AM

I noticed a large group of athletes and coaches in town, and never having met a stranger, I started a conversation with the coaches. It was obvious that this was a football team, so I asked if they been to the Clemson football camp. Indeed, they had and were on their way out of town. They were from the DC area and their school is similar to IMG in Florida, in that it's private and the athletes receive scholarships to play for the team. Needless to say, many of the players are heavily recruited by D1 programs, some with the potential to play on Sundays. I learned that in addition to Clemson, they also attended the South Carolina football camp. Without me asking, they began to compare the two.

First off, they loved Dabo and said he was a great guy, no suprise there. His personality separates him from the rest of the pack, and he's the highlight of the trip. I'm still amazed about how truly fortunate we are to have him as head coach. They were impressed with how well the camp was run. It was very organized and everything ran on schedule. There was no wasted time, which allowed the campers to get the most out of their limited time visiting.

Carolina, on the other hand, paled in comparison. They said that the lack of organization led to confusion between activities, and that resulted in allot of standing around waiting, specially a 45 minute wait for the food. That's important to them considering the high metabolisms and level of activity that they exert on a daily basis. There were no positive comments made about the visit to Columbia. I should mention that I wasn't wearing any orange, nor did I give them a preference in advance, but did end the conversation with a Go Tigers!

Oh yeah, they never mentioned Muschamp..

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Feedback about our football camp.

Jul 31, 2017, 8:52 AM

I also heard they stopped bringing their wives because of Booms incessant flirting. One coach's wife described him as a "fat Fred Flintstone on ######."

you just can't make this stuff up.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2017, 9:02 AM
bzgRc7o7.jpg(86.3 K)

Who could say no to this?

Jul 31, 2017, 9:09 AM

most of the coaches wives and parents of the players. One mother of a 5 star Olineman said, "Coach Boom was eating the potato salad with his hands at the buffet and wiping them off on his shirt., He also cut in line in front of several campers to get the last handful of buffalo shrimp. Never have we made a grown man with such horrible manners."

you just can't make this stuff up.

Jul 31, 2017, 9:23 AM

Was probably trolling... It's what she does best. Some folks are into that sort of thing.

Jul 31, 2017, 9:25 AM

this may be acceptable behavior in front of 2 star recruits and their families, but It is becoming obvious to me now why this man has never had much success coaching/ recruiting at this level.

Jul 31, 2017, 9:36 AM

I believe he was attempting to relate with today's youth that are allowed to develope without moral judgements and archaic principles. Just a hunch

Jul 31, 2017, 9:43 AM

the man has no moral compass,

Jul 31, 2017, 9:47 AM

There's no room for morality in today's public institutions. Hth

I'm calling BS...

Jul 31, 2017, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Re: Feedback about our football camp. ]

...that there was a 5 Star O-lineman at USuC camp AND he took his mother.

Message was edited by: Tiger1983®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 31, 2017, 9:02 AM

Mus apparently didnt cuss them out. I thought that was one of the big camp perks. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

BOOM!

Jul 31, 2017, 9:15 AM

I could not have hand picked a better coach for the coots myself. Hope he retires there.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: BOOM!

Jul 31, 2017, 9:31 AM

Pretty sure it will be his last coaching job no matter how long he stays.

AD's will tell him - "Never Again!"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov
Panta Rhei Heraclitus

Gee, an engineering school more organized than a

Jul 31, 2017, 9:35 AM

liberal arts school.

Surprising.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why weren't you wearing orange?

Jul 31, 2017, 9:40 AM

coot

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Re: Why weren't you wearing orange?

Jul 31, 2017, 9:44 AM

Recon? I was expecting that along with why was I in Chapel Hill? I've spent too much time here..

Was it DeMatha or Good Counsel?

Jul 31, 2017, 10:12 AM

It might be important.

Jul 31, 2017, 10:16 AM

We are greatly advantaged just having a genuine and gracious guy at the controls .
The National Championship trophy in the FOC's lobby is just the buttercream icing !

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 31, 2017, 10:19 AM

I applaud your effort. I

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jul 31, 2017, 10:43 AM

Guess you're going to tell me that our football camp wasn't that much better or better at all?

Jul 31, 2017, 2:13 PM

In the above photo of Muschamp, his mouth reminds me of the opening to the gas tank on a NASCAR vehicle.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Just curious... what evidence do you have that...

Jul 31, 2017, 2:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Feedback about our football camp. ]

this conversation did not take place? Ever stopped to think that even though you come here to "voice reason that all things lamecock are not that bad" on a rivals board, the coot camp may not be as well organized as ours? Do you have any firsthand feedback, or is it like everything else you refute on here? I guess in your own little world, we did not beat you by 49 points last year.... what was the margin of victory?... 30?... 20?.... or are you with Jakey on that one, and you really won the game?

See how stupid you seem with just your opinion to stand behind?

Re: Just curious... what evidence do you have that...

Jul 31, 2017, 3:06 PM

A coot in denial. Didn't see that coming..

Jul 31, 2017, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Re: Feedback about our football camp. ]

> I applaud your effort. I

Whether or not the above is true in its entirety or not the broad strokes of it I've heard before. A lot. The IMG bus showed up earlier this year at Carolina, for instance. It took awhile for anybody to even greet them, whereupon the Carolina staffers they could find took 3-4 of the IMG guys off the bus and hard-pressed them (including Xavier Thomas), the rest they let moulder in the indoor facility without drinks, food, or anyone to talk to. That crew of 4/5 stars, in other word, pretty much sat there for several hours with nothing to do except play with their phones and mill around. Clemson in contrast rolled out the Red Carpet and had a mega-tour prepared.

Spurrier, to his credit, was pretty blunt about recruiting. He just Did Not Care.

Muschamp and his staff try, but the consistent message I keep hearing is that Muschamp's recruiting effort is scattershot, often almost comically disorganized, and that Muschamp himself can be...overbearing, self-important, and often inappropriate. I have also consistently heard there's a huge gulf right now between the AD, the academic support staff, and the football program and nobody's on the same page or rowing in the same direction, which may actually be more of a Ray Tanner problem than a Will Muschamp problem. What I've heard, actually, is that South Carolina is pretty much in the same spot (or worse) Clemson was when Tommy Bowden was our head coach, TDP was our AD, and Jim Barker was our president.

So yeah, I believe these stories. I've heard variants of them too many times now.

Jul 31, 2017, 8:12 PM

My 16 year old son went to one of the camps this year and loved it. He didn't have one criticism. The highlight for him were all the great speakers - said they taught them more about being better men than better football players. He also loved that they gave them each a whole pizza to eat after the evening practice. LOL

Jul 31, 2017, 9:01 PM

Outstanding. That's what it's all about... And pizza is cool too. We put the girls in softball for the first time this year. The oldest started pitching mid-season and her first game was storybook. She slid into home plate and stood up with Tebow like blood on her face... Even though no one taught her to slide. I was busting open with pride. The next game she met a superior team and the tension between pitches was palatable. After a score of ungodly to nothing, she drooped about the house. She wants my approval and it's one of the biggest compliments I've ever received.. she doesn't know it. She waited for me to comment about the rights and wrongs, but I smiled and told her that tonight was a great life lesson. Things won't always go your way, but you have to keep trying, and that she did. Youth sports have fallen astray. A cheap plastic trophy, yes I would like her to win one, is paramount to the development of the child. Awesome that your son was able to participate in such a meaningful experience. Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic