Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FGF Topic - for house coots
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

FGF Topic - for house coots

Feb 10, 2019, 2:47 PM

"What is the underlying reason South Carolina hasn't reached the level of success in football that Clemson has?"

The general consensus on FGF is that we cheat or their BOD of directors/politics.

Like anything complicated in life there are many reasons but I would pose my top reasons:

1) Your university is in the middle of a boring town and your stadium is off campus in an industrial area. No amount of lipstick can fix that pig and it's never going to change.

2) You unwisely left the only conference you had ever had any success in (the ACC) to go non-conference. Only big names like Notre Dame and the real USC could get away with that. It took you far too long to come to your senses and then you join (at the time) the bottom of the best college football conference. Then you missed your one chance to elevate your stature when the east and Alabama were down.

3) You haven't had a coach that cared about UofSC since Brad Scott and we know how that turned out. Spurrier never cared about you and when he realized he had hit the peak of possibility for coot football he mailed it in.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Meth?***

Feb 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

I figured it was because their fans marry their sisters

Feb 10, 2019, 6:13 PM

and first cousins and then produce hideous offspring.

What high school kid wants to go play in front of that incest-fest every Saturday?

It's pronounced "L Heff A" and it means "The Boss".

Re: I figured it was because their fans marry their sisters

Feb 10, 2019, 6:51 PM

I love the word “hideous”.

El Jefe you're hilarious!! Well put buddy!! LOL

Feb 11, 2019, 10:13 AM [ in reply to I figured it was because their fans marry their sisters ]

nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FGF Topic - for house coots

Feb 10, 2019, 6:20 PM

It takes years to generate the culture that Dabo has now. As much as many might not admit, it began in Bowden's era. Dabo built on and perfected it in many ways. Team cohesiveness is something really hard to maintain and Dabo has found a way.

Clemson was not a 60 minute team in Bowden's era or early in Dabo's. That patience, humility and hard work has proven to be the thing.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

their colors are dark and depressing. Their mascot is ridiculous.

Feb 10, 2019, 6:26 PM

It’s as simple as that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Feb 10, 2019, 7:23 PM

It really just comes down to coaching hires.

You guys made great hires with Danny Ford and Dabo. We haven’t made one of this caliber yet. Hopefully one day we will.

I hate to admit it but Dabo would have been successful at any school.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Feb 10, 2019, 8:21 PM

Spurrier was a great coach... The problem isn’t “hires” exclusively. It’s much, much deeper than that.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I might buy that if you guys hadn’t already hired 3 coaches that won NC’s elsewhere

Feb 10, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: FGF Topic - for house coots ]

The very brief 3 year period in your 125 year history where your program was a top ten program you had the coach but what really got you there was a bumper crop of in state recruits coupled with Clemson’s coaching turnover. You guys signed 29 players the year Bowden was fired including Gilmore and Holloman who were figured to be Clemson leans before the firing. Clemson signed 12. You caught lightning in a bottle. You need to face the fact that SC’s influence beyond the borders of the state has never been enough to put together an elite program that can be sustained. You have no tradition and no one likes your city as a college football town.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/athlonsports.com/college-football/ranking-sec-college-towns-expert-poll%3famp

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I might buy that if you guys hadn’t already hired 3 coaches that won NC’s elsewhere

Feb 10, 2019, 9:44 PM

09’
I live in NE Cola (23 yrs.) and Camden (9) so I know the Midlands. UofSC has one redeeming feature, The Horseshoe, otherwise the university has no attractiveness period! WBS hasn’t gotten rid of the 1970s vibe with the lights extensions and no matter how many banners the OBC placed in the interior the place has no lasting traditions. I’m thinking back to 1979 when I attended my first game when I make the comment. Your waving of white towels copies Bama, but honestly gives the impression of white flags and seems as if your fan base is surrendering!

Your school is known as the Graveyard of Coaches and no matter how may veteran coaches you hire they ultimately have one circumstance in common - they fail.

Unfortunately your own tradition of saying “Wait TIL Next Year” is likely the single best element many talk about when discussing your heritage. As stated in another post your BOT and primary sports figures, i.e. Coach McGuire, Lou Holtz and Spurrier got tired of getting close, but having no sustained success. Coach Tanner is your only major coaching figure to prove UofSC can win, but it is still challenging!

Tiger fans love having a decent rival, but inconsistent on your part isn’t cutting it of late! Muscrap’s days of comparing UF to his current program likely won’t last much longer. That revolving door mentality won’t sustain a program and give it any degree of worth when compared to those in Conference and the surrounding landscape.

Go Tigers!!

Re: I might buy that if you guys hadn’t already hired 3 coaches that won NC’s elsewhere

Feb 10, 2019, 10:07 PM [ in reply to I might buy that if you guys hadn’t already hired 3 coaches that won NC’s elsewhere ]

Clemson wasn't snagging all this 5-star talent before Dabo...

Are you really surprised that Spurrier who didn't put a lot of effort into recruiting wasn't pulling talent from out of state?

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Feb 11, 2019, 10:06 AM

Thanks for making my point. Note the key word here: sustained. Once the in state prospects like Lattimore, Gilmore and Clowney were gone your high level of success as a program went with them. You had one of the best coaches college football has ever seen and could not maintain a top ten program when the need to sustain it required the program to recruit at an elite level beyond the borders. I never insisted you guys don’t get great out of state talent I just said it isn’t enough to maintain a top ten program because your program doesn’t have enough influence outside of S.C.
You can remain in denial if you want. Thanks for playing.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Blame hootie for not putting out a hit in 30 years***

Feb 11, 2019, 1:13 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

When your entrance involves a chicken in a skirt

Feb 10, 2019, 8:31 PM

and a shower curtain, it can only go downhill from there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Re: When your entrance involves a chicken in a skirt

Feb 10, 2019, 8:55 PM

Ding ding ding !!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Chicken? More like a Jim Henson LSD nightmare.***

Feb 10, 2019, 9:41 PM [ in reply to When your entrance involves a chicken in a skirt ]

Pitchfork Ben***

Feb 10, 2019, 9:47 PM

Feb 11, 2019, 5:49 AM

Because every coach who considers the University of South Carolina has to realize that he will finish his career like Woody Hayes, Barry Switzer, Lou Holtz, and Steve Spurrier* - with a loss to Clemson. For really good coaches, they would rather go out in a different way. For coaches like Muschamp, that seems like good company. And that is who you get.

* just because he quit early doesn’t mean that the loss isn’t there.

Nobody wants to coach the junior varsity. It will take a truly transcendent personality to spiritually physically and mentally lift that program.

Its actually quite simple

Feb 11, 2019, 10:12 AM

They are a fan base that refuse to acknowledge who they are. Do you see Kentucky, or Vandy, or Mizzu, or Arkansas, or Ole Miss, or Miss St fans clamoring that they are as good a program as Alabama or Clemson, or Ohio State, or Oklahoma, etc? No, because they know their role in the hierarchy of college football. And those are the teams the Coots are comparable to as a program, they are third tier. Thats who they are. And no asinine level of fan delusion of grandeur is going to change that.

Feb 11, 2019, 10:34 AM

As a kid, I always heard that politics were a problem. I assume that would be at the BOT level. Do the people who appoint them have the University's best interest at heart? Do the members have the University's best interest at heart? Do the folks they hire have the University's best interest at heart?

At this time in history, it seems like most folks at Clemson are pulling in the same direction. I am not sure if that is the case with UofSC.

Simple answer

Feb 11, 2019, 3:24 PM

no "family"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Simple answer

Feb 11, 2019, 3:42 PM

Don’t forget, they have a fan base that runs around sayin “go C??cks!” What man of any age can get behind a team in which their mascot is named after male genitalia?

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic