Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: WATCH: GameDay feature on Daniel Rodriguez
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 2,475

FB Update: WATCH: GameDay feature on Daniel Rodriguez

Nov 8, 2014, 10:35 AM

WATCH: GameDay feature on Daniel Rodriguez

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If I recall correctly

Nov 8, 2014, 12:20 PM

Weren't the two pilots that he hugged in pre-game part of the flight that helped turn the tide of that battle? F-15 pilots, maybe?

Yes, they were! Nice touch! **

Nov 8, 2014, 1:12 PM

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, they were! Nice touch! **

Nov 8, 2014, 7:12 PM

Speechless, thanks for your service D Rod!!! ????

It's tough...

Nov 9, 2014, 5:15 PM [ in reply to If I recall correctly ]

First off, this is not to post about me...it's about him and some of the things that happened then.

I was deployed to Afghanistan 2009-2010 in Paktia Province at COP Zormat. I was returning from my mid-tour leave. I got stuck in Kuwait waiting on a flight to get back. I'd been there about 5 days and I see my Company Commander, who was heading to the states for his. This was the 1 Oct. He asked me if I'd heard the news? I had not. He tells me that we lost another one from our Company, the day prior. I asked who and I will never forget, seeing him mouth the name. He probably said where it was audible but I only read his lips, as he said "Frenchie". It was SSG. Alex French, a good friend, that was EXTREMELY well like and respected, by everyone. A rare leader that could be both liked and respected. I could barely stand. I turned and walked off. I missed formation for flight calls, but really couldn't care less.

One of my young soldiers was traveling with me. I had to inform him as well. I couldn't get the word out.

We finally got a flight back to Bahgram on the morning of the 3rd, which happened to be my 32nd birthday. Somehow or another we got word that there was a platoon minus that was in a serious tick around or in Kamdesh and they were getting hammered. We then got word they had taken some serious casualties. I talked to an Apache pilot the following day. He had flown CAS over the area. He told me "it looked like F**King ants crawling". When I started my mid-tour leave, I became friends with a guy from that unit. We met before we even left Bahgram. He was from Ga. so we were on the same bird going and coming back. None of us stayed less than 5 days in BAF, before getting flights back to a our FOBs/COPs. He found out that it was in fact his guys that were involved in the tick. As much as I wanted to get over there to help get the boys out, this guy was geeked up like he was smoking meth. I don't think he sat still or slept at all over the next couple of days. I would have this very same experience (on a smaller scale) about a month later.

COP Zormat, where I spent my deployment was in the middle of the Zormat Valley. Very close to the Shei Koht Valley. We were in a bad area and our only saving grace was the PTIDs blimp. I had a kidney stone and my PSG would not let me go on mission. One of the cameras on the blimp stayed focused on my boys. I was usually the lead truck gunner, so the majority of the time if something kicked off I was the initial response. I was looking at the screen in our TOC, sitting on pins and needles, because of the area they were. We'd done an air assault several months prior and it was BAD. They were in the same area but this time they had to cross a small river (with no bridge anywhere). I could hear the commo from my platoon in addition to the blimp view. All of a sudden I see on the screen, a cloud of dust kick up about 100 meters from the closest truck. Then another. The Tali/Haqanni mortarman was good! His first adjusted round landed about 3 meters off of our lead vehicle. Then the rain came. #### was flying all over the place. My boys were in a VERY bad situation. The only way to break contact was to turn around and go back through the river. They were taking serious aimed fire from 3 sides. They couldn't turn around fully because of the mine roller on the lead vic. Then it really went bad. The #1 and 2 trucks actually got stuck and could not move.

This was about as bad as it can get. The gunners were hammering down with the .50s and MK19s. But they were sitting ducks in the kill zone. With volley fired RPGs beening rain down from a high arc like mortar rounds. The mortar was still letting loose too. The 3rd vic ended up ramming the crap out of the 1 and 2 truck, to free them. The 105mm Arty from our COP adjusted off of a TRP and starting pouring down 105s danger close. This finally gave them enough time to break contact. Thankfully, we only had 1 man with any injury at all. It was the guy who relieved me on the lead truck. The mortar round that landed 3 meters off, had thrown a piece of shrapnel straight across his check, leaving what looked like a bad shaving cut. The round was so close that it sheared the mirrors off of the turret and cab. Had any of my boys been killed or badly wounded, I don't know if I could live with myself for the rest of my life, knowing that I should have been there, at least having been able to make an effort to get our boys out.

The loud speakers in BAF made the call that there would be transfer at the airfield. So I decided that I was going. I would pay respects to my fellow, American brothers in arms. I didn't know any of them but they deserve at a bare minimum, a salute. When the fallen soldier arrived, I went to the airfield. Prior to going, I didn't know how many. when the transport cases were offloaded and then reloaded on a home bound bird, it seemed to go on forever. I am not afraid to show emotion but I am also not one to cry like John Boehner either. One thing I do get emotional about is the loss of American lives in service of this nation. The flag draped coffins, stirs emotion in me regardless of whether it is written, picture, video, etc. The fact that there seemed to be an endless stream of flag covered coffins.

I've talked to Daniel before. I've told him this very story. I feel and have felt his pain. I am thankful, as well as he, that he found the sources to help him cope with his experiences. I takes a man to say, yeah I have PTSD. Most try to find the answer at the bottom of a bottle.

We are seeing a, epidemic of suicide among our Vets. Since I got hom in 2010, we have had 9 suicides and one murder. The murder (he was somewhat acquitted) was a soldier that I know, married 13 years, 3 kids, great family, good guy. In his living room, one of his kids asleep on the couch 5 ft. away and the other two asleep in their beds. He put his wife on here knees put his 1911 to the back of her head and killed her. PTSD is VERY, VERY real. It really breaks my heart to see or hear of another PTSD fueled event. Many don't know where or when to seek help. Many go unnoticed by the leadership that fails them and in some cases even fuel the fir, pushing them over the edge.

Sorry about the ramble but I am passionate about the well being of our most noble citizens. They go at the the becking call of their nation, put personal feelings and politics aside, and honorably do the duty that no one should never be asked or told to do. Many of them still have acne, never reaching the legal age to even buy a beer legally or get a discount on their car insurance for being 25 or older. With Veterans day coming up, take a minute to reflect on the ones that came before us, the ones that never came home, and the ones who continually and routinely deploy, temping fate by serving several YEARS in combat. I personally know guys that have done 4-5 tours. The man who held the distinction of most deployments and then being killed in action, I knew when he was a private in 1st Ranger Batt. 13! Granted Ranger Regt. does not do year deployments but they perform mission after mission after mission while they are there. There is no downtime during their stints. They constantly kick doors That record was broken not long ago by a guy from 2nd Ranger Batt. 14 and KIA! If you know a vet or have a family member or your self, that seems to be having a hard time coping, rather than giving them a handshake and telling them thank you ask them are they okay. Watch their behaviors and recognize the symptoms. This is much more an act of love and respect. Don't let inattention, carelessness or lack of love, be the culprit for one of those ending his or her own life.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks Tigernet for sending me his inspirational book. As a

Nov 8, 2014, 8:28 PM

vet working with vets with PTSD, it has been very helpful!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 2,475
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic