Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 110
| visibility 1

FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite

May 27, 2015, 2:46 PM

Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite

May 27, 2015, 2:52 PM

Agreed.

I think it is ridiculous that it came to this, but I think he did the right thing. It's his job to keep distractions away from the team.

Dabo is a total class act

May 27, 2015, 2:55 PM

Would not trade him for any coach in America. I will never share all of his spiritual beliefs as a Catholic but the guy is simply a good man and that speaks volumes to me.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^yup***

May 27, 2015, 3:00 PM

I did think The Roman Catholic Church opposed abortions &

May 27, 2015, 3:03 PM [ in reply to Dabo is a total class act ]

homosexuality. I am not trying to be a smart a$$, but just wonder if I am wrong on the official position of that denomination?

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I did think The Roman Catholic Church opposed abortions &

May 27, 2015, 3:12 PM

You are correct. And if found in violation your were excommunicated.

Except if it was a young boy in the parish..

May 27, 2015, 3:29 PM

..then it was/is ok and swept under the rug.

lol

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Re: I did think The Roman Catholic Church opposed abortions &

May 27, 2015, 9:55 PM [ in reply to Re: I did think The Roman Catholic Church opposed abortions & ]

No you're not. You're forgiven and granted absolution through reconciliation. All the Church asks is to lead a chaste life that respects life.

correct but Catholics have numerous other interpretations

May 27, 2015, 3:37 PM [ in reply to I did think The Roman Catholic Church opposed abortions & ]

And beliefs that do not jibe with Protestants and others. My point is that it does not matter to me what his beliefs are, I am constantly impressed with the guy as a human being. On that note I may add that I never judge someone's character on their religious beliefs because I have met a lot of Christians who would be there if I needed them and I have met a lot of them who would not do anything for me if it meant getting their hands dirty. I can say the same for non Christians I have met. As far as I am concerned, a person's religion does not make them a good man or not. I know a lot of good people who are and are not Christians to include Muslims. As for the radicals of any kind of belief, I have no use for them. There is no national religion in our nation, thank goodness. I went to combat 5 times as a Marine against radical Islam and I lose no sleep over those that we blew away. Having said that, Christianity to me is between a person and their maker and should stay that way. It should have no bearing on whether or not you can be my brother.

SOME good points, but as a Christian, we are to bring others

May 27, 2015, 4:04 PM

to Christ by our words and ACTIONS......JMHO

I get that. However I still believe in judging folks

May 27, 2015, 4:20 PM

By character issues outside of religion because there are tons of faiths around the world and who am I to say someone is wrong because they do not share my beliefs? We might all be right as long as we are good to our fellow man in our day to day lives. I can believe what I believe without feeling others are wrong in their beliefs. That is my whole point.

Re: SOME good points, but as a Christian, we are to bring others

May 27, 2015, 9:49 PM [ in reply to SOME good points, but as a Christian, we are to bring others ]

The Pharisees would be more like this group from which he was accepting this award. I am not suggesting I am against traditional marriage but you don't bring others to Christ by chastising them with the word of God. To be fair, we as humans aren't told to bring others to Christ. We are told to go and tell others about Christ. The decision to follow Him is that of the individual.

Coach Swinney's decision not to attend this ceremony doesn't make him any less of a Christ follower. It shows his compassion for people regardless of what they do. It also what makes him a dang good recruiter!

#ALLIN

Re: Dabo is a total class act

May 27, 2015, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Dabo is a total class act ]

he is really is.

If Dabo is anywhere close to Baptist you share many of...

May 27, 2015, 5:52 PM [ in reply to Dabo is a total class act ]

his personal beliefs.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't care what side of the 'debate' you are on

May 27, 2015, 3:01 PM

I can't imagine anyone having a problem with his response here.
Very well said.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I don't care what side of the 'debate' you are on

May 27, 2015, 3:02 PM

agreed

null

The response is fine. The sad part is the fact that

May 27, 2015, 3:03 PM [ in reply to I don't care what side of the 'debate' you are on ]

he needed to respond in this way. The will of a very small, but vocal, group of people, took away a positive experience for him and his foundation.

Perhaps

May 27, 2015, 3:06 PM

Though that is often the case when you have an organization that may do tons of good, but also espouses some fairly divisive views.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

some things are just going to be devisive...

May 27, 2015, 3:43 PM

This is not a support for or against the Palmetto Family group or Dabo's decision. I'm just pointing out the truth offends some people. It ought to said in a loving way, but it should be said.

But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect, keeping a clear conscience, so that those who speak maliciously against your good behavior in Christ may be ashamed of their slander. – 1 Peter 3:15-16

That's one reason I've limited my time on the P&R board. I actually don't like to argue with people. Some people aren't going to agree with me. That's fine. I respect their right to have a different opinion.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: some things are just going to be devisive...

May 28, 2015, 8:23 PM

"I respect their right to have a different opinion."

That's just it. The perverted don't give you the same respect. "Tolerance," they preach. Yet when you differ in any opinion - you're tossed under their favorite bus of bigotry when - irony of ironies - they're the bigots.

I don't care for Coach bowing out against these few individuals. Not one bit. Used to be you voted to change things. Now you whine like a wet-diapered, spoiled baby and call truth negative names.

Still not swayed by a whiny ###,

Richard

It seems to me - anymore - no matter WHAT your view, it is

May 28, 2015, 6:47 AM [ in reply to Perhaps ]

devisive and if an even very small group of LOUDMOUTHS what to take issue - it can seem like a VERY devisive view.

It is sad.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: The response is fine. The sad part is the fact that

May 27, 2015, 3:32 PM [ in reply to The response is fine. The sad part is the fact that ]

Dabo's response insinuates (what I felt all along)the organization was implying that Dabo's acceptance of this award meant and was sold as total acceptance of their agenda and therefore using Dabo's reputation to sell tickets to their function. I believe that Dabo's was truthful in saying he has no desire for his foundation to better the political arena, smart move!

So he caved to other's agenda and gave up the award that

May 27, 2015, 5:29 PM

was recognizing his foundation's good work.

May 27, 2015, 7:02 PM [ in reply to The response is fine. The sad part is the fact that ]

Agreed...such a shame there are those who are willing to hurt a foundation because of their own personal agenda's. Christian's overall is attacked in every way because of their beliefs. Right now it seems as if you are a Christian in America the 1st Amendment doesn't apply to your beliefs. It says Freedom of Religion, each person has a choice to Believe or not Believe.

Dabo, I'm sorry that you had to be put in this situation. It seems you have been attacked before and now because of your belief. God Bless You. We are ALL IN and will continue to be ALL IN.

May 27, 2015, 10:25 PM [ in reply to The response is fine. The sad part is the fact that ]

...that small vocal group elected the last president twice and will soon put your your view of gays, same sex marriage and non-Christians in the minority for good. I see that as quite positive.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ Found one !***

May 28, 2015, 6:49 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

I agree***

May 27, 2015, 3:05 PM [ in reply to I don't care what side of the 'debate' you are on ]

GO TIGERS!!

I respect his decision but hate that the mob won

May 27, 2015, 3:02 PM

It's amazing how powerful Twitter is these days.

No doubt his statement was attorney crafted. It may also be that he contacted the group and couldn't find a way to make it work with all the controversy.

Too bad a minuscule part of an organization's religious work gets totally fogged by the mob. Thankfully Dabo's work for which he was being honored will go on and prosper. It will be interesting to see what the mob does next now that they have been empowered some more. I'm sure they aren't done with that group.

You think "the mob" will contribute to his foundation?

May 27, 2015, 3:06 PM

I have my doubts.

Not a chance. But why would you even ask?

May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM

The mob I am referring to most likely opposes most any religious organization, foundation, etc., that doesn't accept their one issue. So they use intimidation and smear to try to influence such groups. It's the same mob where many were anonymous who used their outrage to get the Mozilla executive to leave before getting fired. Given in or die maybe replaces the old live free or die.

You mean like pro--life folks?

May 27, 2015, 3:26 PM

How many hotel rooms in ATL are there?

Change your handle again...folks are catching on.

There's no such thing as a stupid question, just stupid people who ask questions.

Not sure you meant to reply to me

May 27, 2015, 3:30 PM

Don't understand what ATL, my name, or pro-life politics has to do with Dabo and the Palmetto Family group.

You got it.***

May 27, 2015, 3:37 PM

Re: Not a chance. But why would you even ask?

May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM [ in reply to Not a chance. But why would you even ask? ]

You said it well.

I have, and I think his response was a good one.

May 27, 2015, 3:25 PM [ in reply to You think "the mob" will contribute to his foundation? ]

For many reasons.

He didn't say he supported this or that, however to say he 'caved' is as naive as any group pushing an agenda of any kind.

His personal beliefs are his, maybe he respects others who think different and doesn't think this issue is one that anyone else should tell an individual how they should 'be'.

I actually just think he didn't want to get involved....

May 27, 2015, 3:46 PM

in politics like he stated. I'm not going to assume what he thinks.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-franc1968.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's a public figure. Also, his actions previously...

May 27, 2015, 4:22 PM

...I think show he likely thinks homosexuality is a sin.

I may be 100% wrong on that assumption, but his belief in it nor mine mean jack squat.

I respect that he has his opinion, but he also realizes that others may have theirs and it frankly has NOTHING to do with him or his beliefs or how he can live his life.

Those suggesting Dabo caved don't know Dabo or haven't followed closely to his career. He'd walk away from all the $ in the world for what he believes in.

He thinks this is something he doesn't think his opinion (or others, either way) should be pushed.

Good for him.

Re: I actually just think he didn't want to get involved....

May 27, 2015, 5:54 PM [ in reply to I actually just think he didn't want to get involved.... ]

Very well said and very true!! People are ranting and raving over nothing...Dabo said he didn't want to get involved in the politics of the situation and have people try to use that (one way or another) to push their agenda! In other words, he's not going to be "used" by others to push their agenda...he's not going to give them that pleasure, one way or another. Smart man!

Re: Disagree. The mob has not won anything. They showed

May 27, 2015, 4:12 PM [ in reply to I respect his decision but hate that the mob won ]

arses and only solidified Dabo's support. No doubt who won.

Re: I respect his decision but hate that the mob won

May 27, 2015, 7:03 PM [ in reply to I respect his decision but hate that the mob won ]

Such a shame.

No matter which side you are on on this issue--OUR coach had

May 27, 2015, 3:05 PM

a great response.

All Class

May 27, 2015, 3:07 PM

Great reminder of how our coach shows class and poise. He did not make this personal, but rather chose not to attend as to not be a distraction to the team. It's sad that the media and intolerant people screaming for tolerance caused this distraction, but this was a great decision by Dabo.

I'm fully expecting the fans of that team from the midlands to scream that Dabo was a coward for not going after spending all week screaming that he was intolerant and hateful. smh

May 27, 2015, 3:14 PM

great response form Dabo. I'm more and more impressed with this man every day. I think the basic things he said, were the reasons many on here were saying he should not go ...no need to be a distraction to the team etc etc, which were shouted down by many that wanted him to "stay strong, hold firm" and all that

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Abolish Qualified Immunity

That's how they win arguments. *sigh* he caved.***

May 27, 2015, 3:18 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2015, 3:19 PM

"It’s staggering to me that a minority long persecuted for holding unpopular views can now turn around and persecute others for the exact same reason."
- David French, 2014

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Or...Dabo really thinks his opinion on this issue...

May 27, 2015, 3:23 PM

...is his own and doesn't think it should be pushed on others?

Dabo is a true conservative. Like him even more now.***

May 27, 2015, 3:20 PM

I'm a little disappointed.

May 27, 2015, 3:29 PM

He will continue to be attacked for his faith. I would like to see him stand up and say, "This is who I am" and make no apologies for it. He is on the right side of truth. If he caves now he will have to cave from here on out. The intolerant are not going away.

No one is attacking him for his Faith

May 27, 2015, 3:32 PM

Well, maybe someone is, but that is not the crux of this debate.

This debate is purely about the perceived endorsement of an organization based on accepting an award from them.

There are valid viewpoints on both sides of that debate, but it has nothing to do with an attack on Dabo's faith.

Horse manure.

May 27, 2015, 4:24 PM

It is exactly because of his faith. The Freedom From Religion Foundation was stirring this pot last year. The saga continues.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

You do realize like 90% supported him then...

May 27, 2015, 5:11 PM

...and like 90% support him now.

There is a difference (or not, however you want to look at it).

Or is that too Canadian for you?

Classy statement, but wrong.

May 27, 2015, 3:31 PM

Normally I would agree with Dabo, but not this time. He is a class act. However, he just set the precedent. I as a state employee, as well as any other state employee, will now be expected, no, required to toe the line when someone objects to "hate" groups and "hate" speech that are no such thing.

I already walk on eggshells and are careful when expressing my beliefs in a public forum lest I stir up a hornets nest. Now nothing that I say, in public life or in private life, is exempt. My religious beliefs are for naught. I guess I better prepare for the day in the not too distant future that I will be fired for my beliefs. In 56 years, I have never been fired. Come close a couple of times, but never happened. Ask me to deny my beliefs for my job, however, and I will have to trust that the Lord will somehow provide.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

With all his success, his highest salary was $25,000 a year. The president of the university, Dr. R. F. Poole, feared that professors who earned less would be upset. "He called me up and said that he didn't want me to tell anybody what I made," Howard once said. "I said: 'Doc, you don't have to worry. I'm as ashamed as you are of what you pay me.' " - Frank Howard Obituary, New York Times, 01/27/1996

You are assuming some things

May 27, 2015, 3:40 PM

1) Dabo agreed with the group on their platform
2) Dabo initially wanted his appearance to appear as an endorsement of this platform
3) Dabo caved when pressure heightened

I find this to be both an unlikely and uncharitable reading of the facts.

Re: You are assuming some things

May 27, 2015, 4:17 PM

1) The Palmetto Family Council has never to my knowledge actively campaigned against gay marriage. Their "platform" is that marriage is between one man and one woman.
2) I did not see that PFC was requiring an endorsement of everything that they believe. In fact, Ray Tanner accepted an award and appeared a couple of years ago.
3) He would have been there had pressure not mounted. Greenville News headline today: "Dabo Swinney urged to cut ties with anti-gay group". This is what we've come to. State your beliefs, be labeled as "anti". Hate speech.

You are welcome to your findings. That used to be a First Amendment privilege. One doesn't have to look very far (Canada) to see where we WILL be in 5 or 10 years if this trend continues. My findings are that he would have gone had this not erupted, thus it is very likely that it was a cave to pressure, especially very likely on the part of the Clemson administration, and there was no love (charity) being expressed by those that label PFC as a hate group. Those are the facts.

Dang man, you don't like bacon and syrup?

May 27, 2015, 4:30 PM

You sure hate those Canucks!

Re: Dang man, you don't like bacon and syrup?

May 27, 2015, 4:33 PM

Keep beating those straw men. You're undefeated.

Have you actually been to Canada?

May 27, 2015, 11:45 AM

I mean, other than maybe Niagara Falls and the 2bit casinos there..

Re: Have you actually been to Canada?

May 27, 2015, 4:44 PM

What's it to you anyway?

Not since 2006.

Now, I'm through with this. I make an observation, you get all argumentative, make me out to be the idiot from Stripes, then start talking about panties and effeminate. I'd rather talk to a wall. You're enjoying this too much. Enjoy your day, big man. You really showed me.

Yes I did, or you did. Take your pick princess.***

May 27, 2015, 4:45 PM

You're funnier than we both realize. "What's it to you?"

May 27, 2015, 4:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Have you actually been to Canada? ]

LOL...that's funny, sorry I missed it before.

I mean, if all the homophobes and non conservative agenda pushing folks who think the government should regulate/have an opinion on how business are run or folks live their personal lives would just go w/ "what's it to you?"...none of this would have happened!

Good times man! Good luck to you and yours.

May 27, 2015, 5:07 PM [ in reply to Re: You are assuming some things ]

They supported a state-wide amendment to ban gay marriage.

How the hell is that not campaigning against?

Here, from their own website...

http://www.palmettofamily.org/#!status-of-sc-marriage-law/c17ir

May 27, 2015, 7:00 PM

Oh well. That changes it. They should be arrested, banned, branded, and hung in the public square for their evil hate-filled agenda.

SMDH.

Last time I checked that amendment passed with something like 78% of the vote. Lock us all up or kill us. Or take your best shot if you think you can.

May 27, 2015, 9:38 PM

What a strange response. You claimed the PFG never campaigned against gay marriage and it was shown they have. Why are you acting like you're under attack?

Had he agreed to accept the award? Seems likely he had

May 27, 2015, 6:23 PM [ in reply to You are assuming some things ]

otherwise why had they announced him as recipient?

lol...obviously one has asked you.

May 27, 2015, 4:00 PM [ in reply to Classy statement, but wrong. ]

So lighten up there francis.

What exactly are you scared someone may ask you to agree with or support causing you to be fired if ypu don't?

Re: lol...obviously one has asked you.

May 27, 2015, 4:20 PM

Keep believing that Chuckles. Already in Canada you can lose your job, be fined, and jailed for your religious beliefs. Beliefs that I hold. Because someone has labeled those beliefs "hate speech."

You may think I'm a conspiracy theorist. 5 years ago, or even 2 years ago when Ray Tanner accepted an award from the same group, this wasn't even an issue

Chuckles?

May 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

Please show me where one had their own beliefs, were breaking no other laws - and had their thoughts on homosexuality get them tossed in jail.

Thx in advance..."chuckles".

LOL.

OK, Francis

May 27, 2015, 4:31 PM

OK Francis (deride me for name calling but you are allowed, I get it)

Not a jail term, yet, but here you go.

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2013/02/27/hate_speech_ruling_antigay_pamphlets_broke_law_supreme_court_of_canada_says.html

I am not saying anything about the pamphlet, or it's validity. But Canadians used to have somewhat the freedom of speech that we had. No more. Their Supreme Court by a 6-0 vote rewrote the language. We are headed the same way, and 4 of the US Supremes are already paying homage to changing the 1st and 2nd Amendment.

So my surprise at being called "Chuckles"...

May 27, 2015, 4:37 PM

....in some way says I suggest you shouldn't have called me as such, when I do the same?

Gosh..If I was PC I wouldn't do this...but that's awfully effeminate of you to get your panties in a wad over words.

As for your Canadian incident...I don't disagree a guy/gal should be able to hand out pamphlets...but I also agree I shouldn't have to take one, maybe even have the right to say I don't want to have someone push it in my face? You let me know when your freedoms are actually infringed on when just living your life, then get back to me there peaches.

Seriously - it's OK to not want someone pushing their agenda down your throat, right

Re: So my surprise at being called "Chuckles"...

May 27, 2015, 4:50 PM

I said I was through, but one last thing.

You are high and mighty right now. When "they" come for you because they feel that you violated their speech codes, remember this conversation. Folks throughout history felt the same way that you do until there was no one left to stand up for them.

Freedom of speech includes speech that makes us uncomfortable. Otherwise, there is no Freedom of speech. No, we can't yell "fire" in a crowded theater, but when someone determines something to be "hate speech" because they don't like it, and then prohibit it, and we don't stand up and say, "Now, hold on just a minute," then we gave away our freedom. That's just the way it is, "Peaches."

How am I high and mighty? I'm not the one suggesting...

May 27, 2015, 4:55 PM

..our coach bowed to PC, Canada, pressures, etc.

History tells us lots of things - people are persecuted for many things. Each individual must account for what they think is right and wrong.

I don't think the gov't, nor any group, should push a belief on me about anything. I don't think they should tell me where to put my $ (taxes) nor where to put my ????.

Just don't think that's the governments place (well, think they should support an individual - i.e. carry a gun if you want).

You obviously think different.

Let individuals, the people, make their decisions and have their personal life be personal.

I respect your ideas on bigger government and the need for (bigger) society to push their agenda - respect mine for fighting it.

All good man.

You lost me with that last comment.

May 27, 2015, 6:56 PM

"I don't think the gov't, nor any group, should push a belief on me about anything. I don't think they should tell me where to put my $ (taxes) nor where to put my ????.

Just don't think that's the governments place (well, think they should support an individual - i.e. carry a gun if you want).

You obviously think different."

"I respect your ideas on bigger government and the need for (bigger) society to push their agenda - respect mine for fighting it."

Where in any of my comments did I advocate for bigger society and bigger government? 100% of my argument was AGAINST the government dictating speech codes and telling the public and especially state employees what our beliefs must be and what we are allowed to say. You took that as pushing for MORE control?

I haven't had an argument like that since my ex wife and I divorced 19 years ago. And she finally admitted to my kids that she had listening problems, and often heard what she was thinking instead of what was being said.

I know I didn't say that, but that's how you took it? I must be losing it. Or losing my ability to express a coherent thought.

Re: Classy statement, but wrong.

May 27, 2015, 5:38 PM [ in reply to Classy statement, but wrong. ]

If you think you have to walk on eggshells, what about a high profile state employee like Dabo. You may not agree with his decision, but he had no choice.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not wrong at all..

May 27, 2015, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Classy statement, but wrong. ]

Coach Swinney made the right decision and is looking out for the best interests of his employer...Clemson University. A very honorable decision from a man of integrity. I'm certain that I would not agree with Coach Swinney on many of his views, but I respect the heck out of the man. He is wise and did what was right for Clemson...yet again.

May 27, 2015, 3:38 PM

This is very disappointing to me. I am sorry that Dabo felt he had to back down from this. This is a sad day for freedom and for liberty! The LGBT crowd is controlling everything and soon all Christians will be labeled as a hate group. Truly sad!

Novel concept...Christian who turns the other cheek!

May 27, 2015, 3:44 PM

I don't think Dabo "had to back down" from anything. He is smart enough and faithful enough to know that this is exactly the type of issue that could distract him for the entire summer.

If I recall correctly, Jesus' top 2 were 1. Love God & 2. Love your neighbor. I don't see the conditional clause "unless you don't like what someone is doing or saying tacked on to the end of it!

Peace!

I agree with you....

May 27, 2015, 3:48 PM

but I'm missing the part where love is absent if you disagree with someone.

Things weren't so divided & political & mean-spirited back in the 50's but

May 27, 2015, 3:58 PM

Money, power, vocalness , agendas & being uncompromising has caused such divide..along with lower morality, morals & changed belief systems..including those of the religious.

Sometimes wish I was in a capsule with....well, with people who all believed in what I perceived correct, right, beautiful & perfect...

Like people who think Clemson IS the best school and sports program! LOL.

GoTiGERS

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You are correct, disagreement does not preclude love...

May 27, 2015, 4:07 PM [ in reply to I agree with you.... ]

but standing on a podium, in a public setting, accepting an award from an organization usually means you support that organization and what they support. The PFC's website says they are "opposed to state legislation that prevents discrimination in employment based on sexual orientation..." I don't consider that loving your neighbor.

I wasn't actually speaking of the PFC...

May 27, 2015, 4:25 PM

I know nothing about them.

But I would like to see where you got that blurb from their website just to see if there is any more context to the quote. The blurb you have makes it sound like they don't want gay people to have jobs. I agree, that's terrible. But if there are any further stipulations in the context like churches shouldn't be forced to hire homosexuals in accordance with the religious beliefs, that would be a good thing.

I posted this link in another post which I think describes a healthy Christian view:

http://www.desiringgod.org/articles/why-homosexuality-is-not-like-other-sins

Here is the website...

May 27, 2015, 5:31 PM

http://www.palmettofamily.org/#!sexuality/c13l, my quote was their first "Legislation we oppose".

As far as your link goes, I don't love it's selective hatred. The verse condemns many "socially acceptable" activities, but many "Christians", like this writer, choose to focus only on homosexuality.

"Homosexuality is not the only sin mentioned in 1 Corinthians 6:9–10.

Or do you not know that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God? Do not be deceived: neither the sexually immoral, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor men who practice homosexuality, nor thieves, nor the greedy, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor swindlers will inherit the kingdom of God..."

I'm very suspicious of any "Christian" who's focus is on the splinter in someone else's eye! Personally I'm led to try to help others, show grace to others, and leave the judgement to the only One in a position to condemn.

Peace to you and I'm delighted that we have Dabo on our sideline!

with all due respect....

May 27, 2015, 5:49 PM

I'm not sure you get the gist of the article. Yep, we are focusing on homosexuality because homosexuality is what is being celebrated, not the other "sins." The author has a very balanced and healthy attitude as Christian. My guess is many who disagree with the premise of the article just skim it as the think about their rebuttal instead of actually reading it.

Re: with all due respect....

May 27, 2015, 9:47 PM

Well, with all due respect:

1. I think the only real "celebration" of homosexuality is the idea that they're equal to normal couples (which I believe they are).

2. In the same paragraph condemning homosexuality, they condemn drunkards. Have you ever been to Clemson or any other college campus? Drinking is constantly celebrated across the world.

That's true but that's not Dabo's motivation for the refusal

May 27, 2015, 5:51 PM [ in reply to You are correct, disagreement does not preclude love... ]

He just doesn't do politics. It's personal, not professional.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Novel concept...Christian who turns the other cheek!

May 27, 2015, 4:45 PM [ in reply to Novel concept...Christian who turns the other cheek! ]

True love often means speaking the truth.

A case of "pick your battles wisely?***

May 27, 2015, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite ]

this is ridiculous

May 27, 2015, 4:27 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite ]

This whole issue wasn't even started by a member of the LGBT community, it was started by a member of the media. Also, obviously not all Christians believe this way, but if Christians don't want to be labeled a hate group, maybe they should stop hating people for silly reasons.

null

Re: this is ridiculous

May 27, 2015, 7:04 PM

It was started by South Carolina House Minority Leader Todd Rutherford, a Democrat from Richland, in cahoots with the media. And if you believe that the LGBTQIA crowd wasn't cheering, I've got a bridge that I am willing to part with today, cheap, because I like you.

So glad this has worked itself out. And so very gald

May 27, 2015, 4:07 PM

our great football coach didn't get pulled into the dealings of the Palmetto "Family" Council.

Re: Whatever Coot.***

May 27, 2015, 4:14 PM

Re: So glad this has worked itself out. And so very gald

May 27, 2015, 4:19 PM [ in reply to So glad this has worked itself out. And so very gald ]

MAYBE YOU SHOULD NOW GO TO ONE OF YOUR OWN SITES AND COMPLAIN ABOUT YOUR ATHLETIC DIRECTOR COOT

So glad he stood up to the FFR group though. They were worse

May 27, 2015, 4:25 PM [ in reply to So glad this has worked itself out. And so very gald ]

than this group.

I was not in support of that group and what they were doing.***

May 27, 2015, 5:22 PM

Respect for Dabo, but the door isn't closed on this

May 27, 2015, 4:32 PM

I agree with the posts that say they respect Dabo, but hate that the mob has become empowered, which is kind of where my feelings fall on this.
From my perspective, the win-win would be for Dabo to back out respectfully like he did, but all those that feel the mob won by him doing so should give money to the Palmetto Family Council to show their appreciation for offering this award to our great coach.
Kind of like Chick-Fil-A having their biggest record breaking day ever when a small group tried to attack them and stir up a massive boycott, this would send a message that there is a far greater number of people that appreciate the work these companies and/or organizations are doing, even if every aspect of their group doesn't appeal to and/or applaud the smaller groups lifestyles.
To me, this would be the most peaceful and positive way to show support for our coach and put the distractions to rest.

It's a great day to be a Tiger....

May 27, 2015, 5:19 PM

and an American as we all see our country and alma mata move away from hate and devisive views towards a more inclusive and understanding culture. Well done social media, well done Dabo....we are on our way to a stronger more intelligent Clemson and country.

Christ didn't get involved in politics, neither did...

May 27, 2015, 5:31 PM

any of the apostles or the first church. Arguing politics is like wrestling with a pig in the mud.

Dabo did what he asks his players to do

May 27, 2015, 5:57 PM

Dabo asks his players not to do things that might reflect badly on the school and the program. It's all about evaluating a situation and understanding that you are a representative of something larger than yourself. We all know that Dabo is a man of faith and integrity. I think this decision and this statement also show that he is wise enough to understand potential unintended consequences of his actions. Dabo and his charitable work deserve recognition, but as a very public representative of Clemson University, appearing to endorse this group could reflect negatively on the school. You'll notice that he also did not criticize this group. He merely chose to stay away from controversy. I applaud him for that.

Happy that Clemson can move on

May 27, 2015, 5:59 PM

...but not thrilled that the mob once again invented a narrative of hate and intolerance for those they can't agree with. These people name-call, smear, and they're nothing but bullies.

Having a religious and moral objection to gay-marriage doesn't make you a bigot. People are so confused about what marriage is, where the concept came from, and why it literally and figuratively can't be redefined. It's always the same story; Christian-bashers resort to made-up facts, taking things our of context, name-calling, etc... when they don't like what the other side is saying. In America there's a system in place to change laws that the citizenry want changed. Equal rights for everybody. But, I personally draw the line at redefining marriage. That's offensive to me. In no way shape or form will I ever celebrate that. It would be like celebrating adultery. Hate the sin, love the sinner. I respect everybody's religions and opinions, and in return I demand that they respect mine.

Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Happy that Clemson can move on

May 27, 2015, 11:06 PM

I think gays may feel that right wing Christians are bullies as well. How would you like it if an organization labeled you as a sinner because their interpretation of the Bible says you are...kinda scary don't you think? Gays are people not sinners, so just stop the hate and just get along. We will all be better off for it.

I'm agnostic but also a pro-life consrvative. It was Dems

May 27, 2015, 6:31 PM

and others on the left that politicized this. Another victory for them in silencing freedom of speech and thought. Another victory against tolerance and true diversity. Further proof that the only speech and diversity of thought and beliefs by those on the left is that which they accept and condone. Colleges and universities, the academic elite on the left, claim to embrace debate, but all they really embrace is group think and the progressive agenda. Each time the left wins a small victory like this they become stronger and America comes one step closer to fascism and communism.

null

Re: I'm agnostic but also a pro-life consrvative. It was Dems

May 27, 2015, 7:01 PM

Someone that gets it. I regret that I can only give you +1.

May 27, 2015, 7:05 PM [ in reply to I'm agnostic but also a pro-life consrvative. It was Dems ]

Sounds right to me...GO DABO>>>GO TIGERS!!!!!!!!!!!

May 27, 2015, 10:50 PM [ in reply to I'm agnostic but also a pro-life consrvative. It was Dems ]

...typical paranoid right wing response to those who call out religious groups for using the bible as way to deny civil rights to gays. it's great to see the country getting past those hate based religious arguments and seeing the benefits of an inclusive society. As the great Bob Dylan said "times they are a changing"...old Christian white guys will not be calling the shots anymore brother...get used to it.

Surely you jest. Good save Dabo.

May 28, 2015, 7:40 AM [ in reply to I'm agnostic but also a pro-life consrvative. It was Dems ]

Others on the left that politicized this? It's a political lobby group. That's what they do. Politics. Silencing freedom of speech and thought? Who was silenced? Victory against tolerance and true diversity? Who were they tolerating? Child molesters? True diversity? No clue what you're claiming there. America comes one step closer to fascism and communism? Both at the same time? That's a pretty neat trick.

Dabo was about to appear before a right-wing political lobby group - a group widely described as a hate-group. The parent organization just lost it's Executive Director. Seems that once upon a time he was a child molester. Maybe you would prefer that a rival recruiter could truthfully say, "You know Dabo supports that hate-group that Josh Duggar works/worked for. He helps them raise money". I'm glad he got out of it. Coach football. No politics.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

May 27, 2015, 7:22 PM

Well done Dabo! Proud of you!

May 28, 2015, 5:59 AM

IS THIS NEW MOTTO ALL IN "IF" EVERYTHING IS GOING GOOD?

May 28, 2015, 6:07 AM

sbdy - you got the "un-understanders " all wrong , they don't hate those weird , fashionably-forward same-sex marriers ...they just want them all to burn for eternity , which is end game for those of humanity who don't smell what they are shoveling.
Yeah , it is pity , not hate . The really wonderful caveat to all this of course is that if you ARE one of the lesser human types that have strayed , you just gotta reverse your heathen biology and confess your dirt .
It's a pretty exclusive club , but the dues are reasonable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 28, 2015, 6:24 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: Swinney releases statement on Palmetto Family Council invite ]

sbdy - you got the "un-understanders " all wrong , they don't hate those weird , fashionably-forward same-sex marriers ...they just want them all to burn for eternity , which is end game for those of humanity who don't smell what they are shoveling.
Yeah , it is pity , not hate . The really wonderful caveat to all this of course is that if you ARE one of the lesser human types that have strayed , you just gotta reverse your heathen biology and confess your dirt .
It's a pretty exclusive club , but the dues are reasonable.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

May 28, 2015, 11:47 AM

Tigerdug, Why wait for those queers to burn in hell when we can go kill'em all now? ...Kinda like those ISIS guys do. Best of luck with that hate mongering stuff and Go Tigers!

May 28, 2015, 6:23 AM

Already impressed in so many ways but now even more. Total Class Act.

Dabo

May 28, 2015, 8:14 AM

I support gay rights 100%. I support Dabo 100% too. This is a non story. Dabo is a class act.

Replies: 110
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic