Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 59
| visibility 1

FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony

Dec 17, 2016, 1:21 PM

SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony

Dec 17, 2016, 1:30 PM

Classy move!

What a load. Built on respect? LOL. They are pathetic.***

Dec 18, 2016, 10:04 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony

Dec 17, 2016, 1:31 PM

Sure!! It was all a big mistake. I guess playing their alma mater over the top of Clemson's was just a mistake too. They are pitiful. We should not let them back in our stadium. The band director is just trash. He knew what they were doing. We sat behind them and yelled for them to stop. He just looked and ignored us.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:52 PM

Bring some tomatoes next time and pop him in the face with one. I will do it if you won't. Haha.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:53 PM

Being a Wren High School and Clemson alumni myself I know that Wren High is 99.9% Clemson fans.....

Three weeks late on that. How much longer

Dec 17, 2016, 1:31 PM

until we get the apology for classlessly cranking up your alma mater as we were still singing ours at the end of the game?

By the way, 56-7 and Go Tigers!

Re: Three weeks late on that. How much longer- if this

Dec 17, 2016, 1:33 PM

just arrived my view on the timing is the same as yours

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Three weeks late on that. How much longer

Dec 17, 2016, 1:44 PM [ in reply to Three weeks late on that. How much longer ]

Dated Nov 30th, dude.

Pardon me dude. I try to not let facts

Dec 17, 2016, 3:16 PM

Get in my way of expressing disdain for anything coot related.

That is a nice letter and shows class.

Dec 17, 2016, 1:33 PM

I believe him when he writes that it was unintentional.

I wasn't at the game and didn't hear about this story until afterward - a shame it was interrupted, but I'm glad they have apologized for it. It seems heartfelt.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Clemson wasn’t that much better with Trevor Lawrence, if at all.”

Agreed.....credit where credit is due***

Dec 17, 2016, 1:46 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That is a nice letter and shows class.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:54 PM [ in reply to That is a nice letter and shows class. ]

> I believe him when he writes that it was
> unintentional.
>
> I wasn't at the game and didn't hear about this story
> until afterward - a shame it was interrupted, but I'm
> glad they have apologized for it. It seems heartfelt.
Then you have no clue. I was and they knew they pulled two classless moves. The heck with them

Re: That is a nice letter and shows class.

Dec 19, 2016, 10:59 AM

Absolutely agree. I sat behind their band and saw what they did. It was intentional. He actually turned to see if the Clemson band was playing and saw they were and then started up their band. The apology should also be addressed to Clemson and the fans in attendance.

considering a band director is given a schedule of events...

Dec 17, 2016, 4:02 PM [ in reply to That is a nice letter and shows class. ]

for the game, including time outs, what is so classy that he did not follow the rules set up by THE College and University Athletic Band Guidelines College Band Directors national Association
Athletic Band Task Force?

They know what is going to happen if a ceremony is schedule for time outs and in the order that they will come.

Here is another excerpt from the guide:

Statement on Sportsmanship
•Recognize that respect for self and others will create a more conducive environment for college sports teams and spirit groups. To that end visiting bands should not play while the home band is on the field (i.e. during pre-game) or during the playing of the alma mater after the game.

Re: considering a band director is given a schedule of events...

Dec 19, 2016, 10:45 AM

Being a coot, it's entirely possible the Carolina band director doesn't know what any of this means. He's just a dumb-arse chicken.

I was there and it definitely was intentional***

Dec 17, 2016, 7:00 PM [ in reply to That is a nice letter and shows class. ]

They're Just Probably Trying To Work On Our Conscience ----

Dec 17, 2016, 1:44 PM

This is distant push to get us to apologize for celebrating our senior football starters while the game was going on.

You know how its done .....if you show your graciousness and humbleness and humility just maybe....they'll will cave in and show theirs.

Its probably a tactic.

I emailed the dean of the school of music

Dec 17, 2016, 1:46 PM

and the band director. Guess it worked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 17, 2016, 1:50 PM

They should also apologize for striking the band up during our Alma Mater after we beat them down!

Dec 17, 2016, 1:55 PM

I am tired of people thinking if they say I am sorry or send a letter of apology that fixes everything. The ceremony cannot be a do over it's to late. A great moment in Trey Kennedy's life was made a mockery by the coots band.

Joe Mixon thinks saying he is sorry makes it ok that he basically gave a female student a right hook that broke bones in her face. Racist slurs or being pushed and slapped by a female is no reason for a real man to retaliate with a blow to her face. Just walk away!

If I were the president of cootville u the band would be suspended for the bowl game.

And if I owned an NFL team Joe Mixon would never play a down for my team.

Please somebody explain how saying I am sorry can make up for what happened in the above 2 incidents???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 1:59 PM

You are right. It can't, and I would imagine the "heart felt" apology was in response to a flood of criticism, and probably a directive from some higher up or from a complaint from some sponsor who knows better. That said, they do what coots do, and that hardly involves class, unless it is low class.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 2:33 PM

I'm sorry but I cant explain it. ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 17, 2016, 2:02 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony ]

To paraphrase a very wise man (Dabo Swinney), show them some grace and accept the apology in the spirit is was offered. Let's move on.

Dec 17, 2016, 2:07 PM

You can show them grace and forgiveness just as Christ does for us. But we still have to suffer the consequences for and take responsibility for our actions.

Dec 17, 2016, 5:03 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony ]

Trey Kennedy can accept his apology. I didn't read where he apologized to me or my university for disrupting the ceremony that should have been a solumn occasion to honor an American hero. It goes to a deeply flawed moral compass that i have zero doubt will lead them to do the same thing again when the opportunity arises.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:35 PM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony ]

I don't know man...if I were of color and someone

Dec 17, 2016, 1:56 PM

> > width=5> 
> href="/update/SC-band-apologizes-playing-Clemson-medal
> -heroism-ceremony-25398">> src="http://i3.tigernet.com/stories/16/football/kenned
> y_trey_700.jpg">

> size=2>
> cellpadding=0 cellspacing=0>
> href="/update/SC-band-apologizes-playing-Clemson-medal
> -heroism-ceremony-25398" class=newstitle>> style="font-family: Helvetica, Arial, Helv,
> sans-serif; font-size: 16px; font-weight: bold;
> color: #e96f26; text-decoration: none">SC band
> apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for
> heroism ceremony

> class=newsbody> > href="/update/SC-band-apologizes-playing-Clemson-medal
> -heroism-ceremony-25398">> class=fullstory>Read Update
> »

Nice!!!

Well done! These are letters people honor and keep

Dec 17, 2016, 2:12 PM

Speaks volumes of the character of this band director. I'm sure this man appreciated it.

Re: Well done! These are letters people honor and keep

Dec 19, 2016, 11:13 AM

The apology to the hero was appropriate. The missing apology to Clemson and the fans is glaring!!

Dec 17, 2016, 2:15 PM

Sometimes mistakes are made and sometimes things are done intentionally. We don't know for sure which one it was in this circumstance but the best thing for all involved, in my opinion, is to graciously accept the apology and move on.

forgiven, now bend over and take tiger #### for the next 10 years***

Dec 17, 2016, 2:36 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll cut him some slack and accept his apology

Dec 17, 2016, 2:44 PM

He's a new band director there, first trip to Clemson (I think), probably didn't know we recognize veterans and active duty service members during the game, and probably had his back to the field and had no clue what was going on behind him. In his defense (a little) our event staff people should coordinate with opposing band directors if there's going to be a medal ceremony, especially since we decide to seat them directly in front of the ceremony location.

screw em.***

Dec 17, 2016, 3:02 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't let this distract you from the fact that

Dec 17, 2016, 3:09 PM

we dragged your upward-pointed spurs up and down the field all night and the only reasons you got in the end zone at all were some questionable penalties and one gadget play.

And they apologized for playing during our alma mater

Dec 17, 2016, 11:16 PM

after the game. One of two things happened: 1) the Carolina Band is rude and arrogant or 2) the band leadership has no clue as to what is going on in the stadium and the band director doesn't know what he/she is doing. Both reflect poorly on the direction of this student organization at USC.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:30 PM

I was there and I could see where it might have been an unfortunate mistake on their part..I get that.

No way their playing during the middle of our Alma Mater was a mistake. That was 100% intentional and no apology will ever change the fact he's a dirt bag for doing it.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did "The State" ever cover this?

Dec 17, 2016, 3:38 PM

Or are they still busy chasing butthurt false racist claims?

Dec 17, 2016, 3:40 PM

HIs apology is good enough for me. My guess is the band didn't know a ceremony was going on...which could have been solved if someone at Clemson would share the timing of these events with the visiting bands so they know to not play...assuming they don't do this already. The university could also hold the ceremony n a more dignified setting rather than at a football game.

Dec 17, 2016, 3:45 PM

"The university could also hold the ceremony n a more dignified setting rather than at a football game."

I believe the point is to share it with 80,000 other people.

Dec 17, 2016, 4:46 PM

I get that and not sure what a more appropriate venue might be...but just not sure that during a football game is one of them. Knowing the good people of Clemson like we do, I bet if they announced beforehand that they were doing these ceremonies in the amphitheater an hour or so before kickoff, that several thousand would show up to show their respect. Maybe make it a regular thing...part of the pre-game tradition right before the band leaves to march down to the stadium...just throwing it out there.

Dec 17, 2016, 4:53 PM

I guess you missed the part about them being given a schedule before the game and they ignored it. Also ignored long standing tradition/guidelines of not playing during home team alma mater after the game.

Dec 18, 2016, 10:13 AM [ in reply to Re: FB Update: SC band apologizes for playing during Clemson medal for heroism ceremony ]

A more dignified setting? Give me a break! You don't think getting a medal in front of 85000 citizens of this wonderful country is dignified? And he didn't apologize to Clemson. Just to the hero getting the award. That's great but where is the apology to the fans and to Clemson for this and INTENTIONALLY playing over our alma mater?

They also interrupted our Alma Mater after the game was over***

Dec 17, 2016, 4:11 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Accept the apology...

Dec 17, 2016, 4:26 PM

Stomp a mud hole through their areses again next year.

Nice apology, but I can't imagine a

Dec 17, 2016, 4:44 PM

reason why the South Carolina band would be playing at any point during that game. From the opening play, they had absolutely nothing to toot their horn about.

We Accept the Apology....But We Sure Will Not

Dec 17, 2016, 6:31 PM

APOLOGIZE FOR WHIPPING THAT A$$

GO TIGERS!!!

2016 NATIONAL CHAMPIONS

Dec 17, 2016, 6:42 PM

I'm a former Tiger Band member (graduated this past May) and as such I have some access to Carolina band members as well as their band's Facebook group.

Without making this too long and drawn out: Carolina band and Cormac Cannon knew exactly what they were doing. In Facebook posts he has made to his band members, he has stated that he knew about the ceremony and the alma mater and that he saw those moments as "their time", not Trey Kennedy's moment, not Clemson's moment, but theirs. He has stated that the band members should not feel like they should have to apologize for their actions because they "did nothing wrong" in Mr. Cannon's own words. Their actions were deliberate, and from the conversations I've had with Carolina band members, they don't believe they did anything wrong. The apology was simply a formality to try to appease the deluge of complaints they were receiving.

Not much different than our fans booing

Dec 17, 2016, 6:42 PM

during the military induction a few years ago because the hate of Obama just couldn't be contained....did we apologize to those recruits? Doubtful.....thumbs down me until your panties come off. Couldn't care less....that whole incident grinded my gears.

Re: Not much different than our fans booing

Dec 17, 2016, 7:05 PM

> during the military induction a few years ago because
> the hate of Obama just couldn't be contained..

We both have dumb redneck fanbases. It's South Carolina.

However, Clemson University's band director didn't boo, didn't have his band play over their alma mater or during a ceremony honoring a man who has served us all. Likewise, our players and students aren't trash, nor are they encouraged to act like Travis Tritt listening, Natty Ice swilling, Trump Train burping trash.

There's a difference- a BIG difference- between hillbilly fans being hillbillies and an influential employee of a university being a hillbilly. That's what Cannon did. He clearly directed his band to play during a ceremony, and during our alma mater.

Too little of an apology, dude. You made college students act like rednecks under your tutelage.
That reflects on your "school".

Typical. That's why this exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VBWqnBMQUU

Was with you until the stupid Trump comment***

Dec 17, 2016, 11:34 PM

"When I was 6 my Mother let me have a kitten. It died. Don't send prayers, a TU is better." - tugalooriver circa 2022

What are you talking about?***

Dec 17, 2016, 11:16 PM [ in reply to Not much different than our fans booing ]

nm

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Not much different than our fans booing

Dec 19, 2016, 11:16 AM [ in reply to Not much different than our fans booing ]

That absolutely has NOTHING to do with what their band did is this case! You are trying to create excuses for them.

As a season pass holder for many years that sit right behind

Dec 17, 2016, 10:19 PM

all visiting bands may I say this WAS fully intentional and the band showed no respect for Clemson the whole game.

In addition to the formentioned 'accident' they sat their TUBA BOYS as high as they could to block any and all Clemson fans sitting behind them from seeing the game. Yes I have sat behind many of our rival bands and we have always cut up with them with usual banter but there was always respect and coustesy shown. They always drop their instruments so fans behind them can see.

Not this time. The USuC band held their instuments as high as they possibly could blocking at leat five rows of IPTAY paying, Tiger loving, season ticket holders. I personally went to security to ask their band director for a little courtesy so we could see the game.

Then the A-hole had the gall to send the cops and IPTAY reps up to tell us to pipe down and quit harassing their band.

Screw em. No class. PERIOD. Apology my butt.

Again. NO CLASS. Just words.

Re: ^^^^^^True! I witnessed it too!!^^^^^^^^***

Dec 19, 2016, 11:17 AM

So when does Clemson receive apologies from

Dec 17, 2016, 10:57 PM

the lying miscreant chickenplayers(s) who claimed they heard "racial slurs" but were unable to identify the offending player(s) who supposedly were standing a few feet away.....It's almost pointless now to bring up the fact that EVERY Clemson player on the field at the time---to a man---denied the incident ever took place

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

no to mention in the brief clip of incident shown on ESPN...

Dec 18, 2016, 12:26 AM

..I don't see a single white player in the crowd.....so I'm like you I'm calling BS...

I'm willing to forgive the band's constant playing ...

Dec 18, 2016, 9:45 AM

...since their football team rarely did.

badge-donor-20yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-revdodd.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I'm willing to forgive the band's constant playing ...

Dec 18, 2016, 3:11 PM

I accept the apology and think it was an honest mistake. Some of you need to lighten up. Sometimes #### happens and people goof up.

-DW

Dec 18, 2016, 4:50 PM

This is pure B.S. It's your #### job to know when you are being disrespectful to the host team. Which in the coot bands case, was most of the game. Only apologizing cause everyone is getting on his ###. COMPLETE lack of class on part of coot band director. Never been so put-out by anything or anybody in all my years going to games. How about how they played during Clemson Alma mater too? The guy needs to be reprimanded.

Replies: 59
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic