Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Elliott breaks down pecking order at running back
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 1

FB Update: Elliott breaks down pecking order at running back

Aug 20, 2015, 7:51 PM

Elliott breaks down pecking order at running back

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2

Aug 20, 2015, 8:11 PM

Sorry to be a debbie downer but Gallman runs high to me. Doesn't seem that strong to me either. Doesn't fall forward enough. He can be pretty shifty though and he does go north south pretty well. I dunno I guess I just thought coming out of HS that Dye or Choice would be the guy. They have the build that I'm used to seeing out of an RB or at least I thought...a quick google of their height/weight seems to disagree...Anyway I don't mean to be negative on Gallman and CJ I just don't see greatness there. Serviceable but not great.

Re: Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2

Aug 20, 2015, 8:18 PM

Sorry you are not at practice everyday to confirm your concerns. Let the coaches make those decisions.

Aug 20, 2015, 8:46 PM

He's not knocking them. He's just used to RB's with that bowling ball build. Ie; 5'10 215lb+

Aug 20, 2015, 8:46 PM [ in reply to Re: Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

Personally I like Gallman. He's a consistent workhorse back that can turn the corner on the edge. He doesn't put the ball on the ground either, which speaks volumes. Also, behind an unproven line, his pass pro is the best option. I'm confident in the staffs decision. Go Tigers!

Aug 20, 2015, 9:36 PM

I feel like Gallman reminds me of Melvin Gordon with his build and running style. That could be a good thing

Gallman does run high!

Aug 20, 2015, 9:37 PM [ in reply to Re: Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

If you watch the tape the kid isn't a natural runningback yet. He is losing a lot of extra yardage by not lowering his body and center of gravity to make sure he is falling forward!If he doesn't learn that he will never be able to help us in the short yardage game.... The most talented runningback is probably Choice! I hate he is letting his injury hold him back. I hope he comes back and get his chance this year. With Feaster coming in there is no need in burning that RS when he is capable of playing...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Adrian Peterson runs high. Doesn't seem to affect his output***

Aug 21, 2015, 12:41 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Gallman does run high!

Aug 21, 2015, 7:40 AM [ in reply to Gallman does run high! ]

Yeah, because you played running back in Pop Warner so naturally you are an expert....

Re: Gallman does run high!

Aug 21, 2015, 5:30 PM

Yes, he runs high, there's no denying that. Doesn't mean he can't be productive though. Choice likely doesn't play a whole lot this season I'm guessing. Fuller is the wildcard. How quickly can be develop as a viable pass blocker? He's as good a runner as any other back on the team.

Aug 20, 2015, 8:50 PM [ in reply to Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

Personally I believe that a RS would be the best thing for Choice this season for him to get his strength and confidence back. Gallman, Dye, and Choice could give us a very solid RB core next year with a more experienced OL, we will run a defense in the ground. And defensive secondaries couldn't sneak up much to help a DL out bc, they would get burnt by our receivers and DW4's arm. Hopefully we have a good year this year, but 2016 will be our year I do believe....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gallman is tough and hold on to the ball. That = PT***

Aug 20, 2015, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Aug 21, 2015, 1:05 AM [ in reply to Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

It wouldn't surprise me at all if Gallman has several 200yards or more a game this season. Especially when the OL finds its groove as the season get longer.

Aug 21, 2015, 7:35 AM [ in reply to Really surprised Gallman is #1, CJ #2 ]

What's your problem, Debbie???

Doesn't surprise me

Aug 20, 2015, 10:01 PM

Doesnt surprise me at all. We all watched Gallamn mature last season. When the light came on, it was pretty bright. He started running harder, hitting holes quicker, his vision improved, he fillowdx his blocks better, quicker decisonz, cuts, confidence skyrocketed.

He's not the most talented back in the stable and I think he and everyone else knows it. Not taking anything away from him though he is talented. But he has WORKED his rear off. Hit the weights, packed on a few good pounds, learned his position. Personally, I'll take a former 3 star lime Gallman over a 5 star tailback version of Clowney any day. Gallman has a bright future if he keeps his nose to the grind. He knows there is a BUNCH of guys behind him scraping every day to get his starting snaps. I think he rides it all season long.

Re: Doesn't surprise me

Aug 20, 2015, 10:34 PM

> Doesnt surprise me at all. We all watched Gallamn
> mature last season. When the light came on, it was
> pretty bright. He started running harder, hitting
> holes quicker, his vision improved, he fillowdx his
> blocks better, quicker decisonz, cuts, confidence
> skyrocketed.
>
> He's not the most talented back in the stable and I
> think he and everyone else knows it. Not taking
> anything away from him though he is talented. But he
> has WORKED his rear off. Hit the weights, packed on
> a few good pounds, learned his position. Personally,
> I'll take a former 3 star lime Gallman over a 5 star
> tailback version of Clowney any day. Gallman has a
> bright future if he keeps his nose to the grind. He
> knows there is a BUNCH of guys behind him scraping
> every day to get his starting snaps. I think he
> rides it all season long.

Disagree. Gallman is the most talented RB we have. He came in raw, and he came in as a project guy who had played mostly in a Wing T offense, so he didn't really have the programming, and he came in about 25 or 30 pounds underweight for his build.

Personally I'm shocked how well he's developed, but guys don't "exceed their potential"...they either meet it, or they don't, and his high ceiling was evident last year, when he was highly effective despite the fact that his programming was still "off" and he was still underweight. You just can't fake vision, you can't fake determination or toughness, and you especially can't fake that short-area burst. He doesn't have that fifth gear like CJ Spiller or Andre Ellington had (though Davidson does), but he's as fast 0-60 as anybody I've seen at Clemson and he's explosive, explosive, explosive. He sticks his foot in the ground and makes his cut, and you'd better be durn quick or he's past you and on into the second or third level.

That's not "hard work" - though his weightroom work is obviously very good - that's just underrated talent.

Gallman's been a pleasant surprise, and kind of a demonstration of the simple fact that you really don't know how well a guy projects to college until you actually see him do it. Then again, considering the injury problems much higher-rated guys like Choice, Dye, and Brooks have had, we were probably due for some luck in that department.

Personally I think Gallman came in as a very raw version of James Davis. Similar upright style, similar build, similar explosive burst through the hole (combined with a similar lack of a true fifth gear), and a similar determination and distaste for being tackled.

The biggest difference was Davis was already a polished product, and was very physically developed, Gallman wasn't. But the ability level and toolset is very similar...and I suspect the productivity will be as well. Gallman looks, to me, like he could be good for 1,200 or even 1,400 yards this year.

Davidson, physically, is another one with 4-star tools and a shot at an NFL future, he was just another project, even rawer than Gallman, who just hadn't played much football and as such was lacking in some basic ball skills - like instinctive ball security. If he's fixed that he's absolutely legit as well, very close in ability to an Andre Ellington, IMHO, maybe without quite the polish or the vision. People just see "former walk-on" before his name and can't get past that. Go back and watch the film - he was tearing FSU up...and all anybody remembers is that he put the ball on the ground at the end. Not bad for an alleged "former walk-on".

The 4-stars haven't had a lot of luck with injuries, granted, but right now they really are getting beat out because the no-name scrubs just turned out to be...better.

Add to that the fact that CJ Fuller looks like a faster Reggie Merriweather every time I see him run, I really do think we've quietly developed a 1-2-3 that's at least a fair approximation of a backfield consisting of James Davis/Andre Ellington/Reggie Merriweather. There's no Spiller in the bunch (unless it's McCloud!) but then again, Feaster will be along next year....

Aug 20, 2015, 10:36 PM

why the short version

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 21, 2015, 10:01 PM [ in reply to Re: Doesn't surprise me ]

Pretty insightful. Love your breakdown of Gallman. Great post, man

Aug 21, 2015, 7:39 AM [ in reply to Doesn't surprise me ]

You sound ridiculous. Clowney didn't play running back.

i hope that was sarcasm

Aug 24, 2015, 2:25 AM

I said a "tailback version of" Clowney...meaning that his God given talent is all he has or ever will have because he refuses to put in the work to make himself better.

i'm happy too see it, too

Aug 21, 2015, 8:19 AM [ in reply to Doesn't surprise me ]

I used to sit near the recruits and would see him at many games. He looked dialed in as a high school athlete, just really focused on the game. It always impressed me b/c it was apparent he really wanted to be there and do something one day. I can't wait to see him back out there.

With the ongoing development of a very talented o-line, within a couple years, we're going to be known for our RBs.

Gallman Has Earned It. Spot The Ball! ..The Others Will Play***

Aug 20, 2015, 10:05 PM

Re: Gallman Has Earned It. Spot The Ball! ..The Others Will Play***

Aug 21, 2015, 1:19 AM

"Keep-on" fresh Elliot, Next Man Up. Shouldn't be a burnout RB on the team this season.

Re: FB Update: Elliott breaks down pecking order at running back

Aug 21, 2015, 11:36 PM

I am a Gallman fan and totally appreciate the work that he has shown. I don't care if he still runs a little high, he still does pretty darn well. Rushing for 191 yards in any game with our notorious OLine is something we CLEMSON fans only dream that our RB's ever do. I can't even remember the last time one of our RB's did that (Ellington? Spiller? Davis? If so, that is elite company).

Anyway - my ONLY concern is his ability to pick up defenders and protect our QB. He whiffed way too many times last year as if he simply didn't see the guy. That cannot continue. I think I read somewhere that he has gotten better at his blocking assignments. Again - that is my ONLY concern.

Of course, I have always wanted to see Ty Dye in fine form. That would be an extremely welcome sight. Dye has remained my preference at RB, but the injuries just kept coming, so Gallman will be the #1 RB this year.

It's all coming to fruition.

Aug 22, 2015, 12:09 AM

http://www.tigernet.com/forums/message.jspa?messageID=17603286#17603286

I'm down with Gallman

Aug 22, 2015, 11:47 AM

Davidson scares me - that fumble against FSU still haunts me. Dye I hope gets #2

Replies: 25
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic