Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
FB Update: Dodd over Lawson heard in some NFL circles
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

FB Update: Dodd over Lawson heard in some NFL circles

Feb 22, 2016, 9:17 AM

Dodd over Lawson heard in some NFL circles

Read Update »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really proud of them both.

Feb 22, 2016, 9:23 AM

Hope the best for them!

Second in the NATION in tackles for a loss

Feb 22, 2016, 9:35 AM

only gets you honorable mention on the All ACC team. Something doesn't seem right with that.

Re: Second in the NATION in tackles for a loss

Feb 22, 2016, 11:19 AM

That's all right. I'm sure he'd rather feel the love from the NFL, if he had to choose. A first round draft pick pays a lot better than first team All-ACC. We all know how good he is.

Re: Second in the NATION in tackles for a loss

Feb 23, 2016, 1:33 PM [ in reply to Second in the NATION in tackles for a loss ]

A bunch of his TFLs and Sacks came after All-ACC had been voted on, I think. He padded his stats against the best teams, which is great, but hurt him in the All-ACC voting.

I think they can both be successful but

Feb 22, 2016, 1:37 PM

those putting Dodd over Lawson are just being lazy. They're relying heavily footage the championship and events after the season where Lawson was recovering from the knee injury he suffered against Oklahoma. Lawson is a better, more polished prospect right now and should be drafted higher. Doesn't mean they can't both go on to great careers at the next level though.

Dodd looked more explosive the entire season***

Feb 22, 2016, 1:39 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree that a lot of people are being lazy in their analysis

Feb 22, 2016, 2:34 PM [ in reply to I think they can both be successful but ]

You have to give Dodd credit. He got better and better as the year went on, but he was facing RTs (the lesser of the two tackle spots) and wasn't getting game planned or double teamed for most of the year this year. Lawson was on every teams scouting report, was double teamed, faced better competition in LTs and still produced. If you don't watch every game Clemson as played and don't think Lawson was the best player in our front 7, you're blind. Even if you were projecting to the NFL, I still think Lawson is head and shoulders better.

People think Shaq is an unathletic stiff because of how he looks in his uniform. He's gonna surprise a lot of people with his athleticism at the combine.

Re: Agree that a lot of people are being lazy in their analysis

Feb 22, 2016, 11:44 PM

I don't think that anyone has been saying anything negative about Lawson or that he lacks athleticism. It's more of a testament to how much Dodd was able to impress everyone over the last month of the season than a critique of Lawson. Shaq is still considered by nearly every source available as a future first round pick. After his performances against Oklahoma and Alabama, Dodd has been upgraded to a first round grade by several sources as well.

The most amazing aspect of all of this is that in a year when our defense was breaking in two new starters at DE (Lawson did have considerable experience as a backup), each of these juniors is not being considered as future first rounders. I don't blame either of them in the slightest for making the decision to go pro after their junior years, but it would have been incredible to have the privilege of watching them another year.

I'm not worried about Venables ability to get our young guys ready to play and for our defense to once again be a strength, but it is fun to think about just how incredible the unit would have been next year without losing so many players to the draft. I think they would have had the potential to put up better numbers than the top ranked 2014 group, and quite possibly could have been one of the most productive units over the past decade or more in all of college football.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: FB Update: Dodd over Lawson heard in some NFL circles

Feb 22, 2016, 1:51 PM

The "Doddinator" Cometh!!

Will be interesting to look back in 5 years to see ... hope

Feb 22, 2016, 2:02 PM

they're both in the Pro Bowl.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Lawson is unfairly being penalized when he had hurt knee 2

Feb 22, 2016, 2:45 PM

games at end, and this allowed Dodd to shine even brighter. I hope both are big successes in NFL though!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I prefer to look at it from a different perspective

Feb 22, 2016, 11:51 PM

Instead of looking at it as though Shaq is being unfairly penalized, I think it's just a testament to how impressive Dodd was at the end of the season. Shaq is still being considered as a first round talent just like he was back in November, but Dodd has moved himself into the conversation as a future first rounder as well.

I had high hopes for Lawson heading into the season, but I wasn't sure exactly what to expect from Dodd. Both of them exceeded my expectations and my highest hopes. I remember looking at NFLDraftScout.com back in August to see where they had Lawson rated in terms of future DE prospects, and they had him graded as a future 4-5 round pick. I knew that would change pretty quickly, but Dodd wasn't even considered to be a future NFL talent at all.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 24, 2016, 8:07 PM

Same thing was said with Jarrett and Beasley, look how that turned out. Not saying Dodd will be a fifth rounder but I think he will go later than Lawson

Feb 25, 2016, 9:20 AM

As long as the Giants get one of these guys; I'm a happy man.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic