Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Expanding the CFP
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

Expanding the CFP

Dec 15, 2018, 8:11 PM

My thoughts on the topic are very simple. Until they ask the actual players for a consensus on playing more games there should be no discussion on the issue. Not Coaches, not Conference Commissioners, not ESPN . They are the ones beat up from a season of games, they are the ones risking injury and as such their opinion should be taken in to account first and foremost. Just my opinion, feel free to shoot the messenger now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Expanding the CFP

Dec 15, 2018, 8:14 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 15, 2018, 8:18 PM

One time I agree with you

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Dec 15, 2018, 9:11 PM

There is no reason for players to play any extra games to have an 8 team playoff,
Cut out the conference championship games and only play 11 regular season games.
Realign the conferences geographically into 8 conferences and require that only conference title winners get into the playoff.
Cut out one of the cupcake games every team plays and have every team play 9 conference games a year.
Still allows for a warm up game with a FBS school and a team from another conference.
Put Clemson, SCU, Ga, Ga Tech, Fl.Fl. St, Miami, UNC, Nc. St., Wake, Duke in our conference.

Dec 15, 2018, 9:15 PM

Not so sure that the CCG will go away, not sure it should either. Your proposal also would destroy the current make up in Conferences thus affecting TV monies, not gonna happen in my humble opinion.

Dec 15, 2018, 10:04 PM

Wasn’t the 12th game added for the extra $$? Not so sure that’s going away either?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

You are dreaming if you think the CCGs are going away any

Dec 16, 2018, 8:39 AM [ in reply to Re: Expanding the CFP ]

time soon! And let the conferences decide how many conference games are played...just require 10 power five games, which we are already doing every year. I prefer to see us play TAM or Auburn, etc, than another lower tier ACC team.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 16, 2018, 8:52 AM [ in reply to Re: Expanding the CFP ]

Cutting out all games against lower tier teams will eliminate many programs at those universities. I don’t like that idea. Limit them if needed but eliminate is wrong. Nine game conference schedules will impact Clemson financially too. We would drop to 6 Home games every other year. That’s another negative. A six team playoff should have neither of those impacts. And requiring all schools to be a member of a conference or schedule 13 games would help.

Dec 16, 2018, 9:03 AM

HarleyTgr, if giving Furman a million dollars is your concern, then let’s give them a million bucks. Having Furman on our schedule is bad for everyone though. You’ll never convince me otherwise. All conferences should have the same amount of conference games, equal OCGs, and no division 2 programs allowed. It’s pathetic.

Thre is a lot easier solution than gutting the

Dec 16, 2018, 9:26 AM [ in reply to Re: Expanding the CFP ]

conferences or getting rid of conference championship games.

Assuming an 8 team playoff:

1. Get rid of one cupcake game and go to a 11 game regular season for all teams.

2. Keep the conference championship games and play them as the 12th game.

3. The following week (i.e. game 13) play the first round of playoff games with seeds 1 through 4 being the home teams and seeds 5 through 8 being the away teams.

4. Keep the current bowl season system as is with the final 4 teams playing in a semi-final bowl game and the top 2 in a designated Natty game.

Seems this would satisfy most requirements - does not increase the number of games played, does not go beyond the current end of season, keeps the conference championship games intact without reducing or increasing the current number of conference games being played, gives non-power 5 teams a path to the playoffs and does not require any changes to the current bowl system.

The biggest and only negative I see is that any team not in the playoffs would lose one home game (i.e a cupcake game) each year. As a fan - this doesn't bother me since those September noon games against SC State are hardly worth watching. What I would do to counter this is allow teams to schedule one preseason scrimmage game in August against any opponent they chose (FCS or FBS)... I doubt this scenario would ever be considered - the revenue lost from one regular season home game for the majority of teams may be too much to overcome.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's not only the physical factor but...

Dec 16, 2018, 10:32 AM

along with that is academic considerations. These guys are at semester's end and anyone who has faced finals knows that time is limited. There are projects due late in the semester and time for social interest are limited already.

Until we figure a way to cut the regular season short and start the playoff during that time saved by a shorter regular season no other games should be added. Imo, the kids are too emotional about the playoff to be the deciding vote. At any given time the players of those teams near the top four are going to vote for an expanded playoff and those ranked outside the top 25 should care one way or the other. Some teams are not ever going to make a playoff.

We must face the reality of an expanded playoff. Until we include most or all teams there will always be talk of an expanded playoff. Perhaps if we systematically excluded those who would never make the cut or reduced the number of conference eligible for the playoff we might have some of the playoff take place during the regular season between conference mates.

4 conferences with 16 teams/conference and four pods within each of the four conferences and four teams in each pod.

Pod winners could play the first and second rounds during the regular season, have the four conference winners play post season. Other bowls could continue without change.

With five conferences and ND someone is always going to be left out. Our system isn't perfect but it's the best we've ever had.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come back in about 30 years with that plan,,,meanwhile,

Dec 16, 2018, 8:23 PM

let's do something that is doable in the next 2-3 years. You are NOT getting rid of CCGs anytime soon, so take those five conference champs, add the highest ranked G5 team and two at large teams. Once every few years, you may get a four loss conference champ in an 8 team playoff, but so what! The five automatics wouldn't be decided until the CCGs, and the two at large wouldn't be known until after the CCGs are played and the final ranking is decided.

I wish there was a way for the four highest ranked teams, not in a CCG, to play each other on CCG weekend, to give them a 13th game prior to the final ranking, but logistically, that would be tough to do.

welcome back corny

Dec 16, 2018, 11:11 AM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic