Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
ESPN started covering college football in the 1984 season
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 2,316

ESPN started covering college football in the 1984 season

Sep 23, 2020, 6:24 PM

I looked it up. I could not find a specific date on when they started telling us how to live. I suspect only a few games into the 1984 season though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

1984?

Sep 23, 2020, 6:43 PM

Guess I was wrong since we had just moved back to CLT from G’ville and thought ESPN got my attention in 1980.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

From Wikipedia, so it may all be BS:

Sep 23, 2020, 6:54 PM

History
ESPN began airing taped college football games during the 1979 regular season, starting with a game between Colorado and Oregon. The network was limited to airing tape-delayed games because the NCAA controlled television rights through exclusive contracts. However, because bowl games operate outside the control of the NCAA, ESPN was able to air the 1982 Independence Bowl between Kansas State and Wisconsin live (through a simulcast with the Mizlou Television Network) – the first live football game televised on ESPN.

After the 1984 Supreme Court decision in NCAA v. Board of Regents of the University of Oklahoma allowed individual schools to negotiate television rights, ESPN began broadcasting live regular-season games during the 1984 season, beginning with a game between BYU and Pittsburgh on September 1, 1984. The first live broadcast of a regular-season night game followed that night, between the Florida Gators, who were ranked number 17, and the Miami Hurricanes, who were ranked number 10.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

In the 1983 and 1984 seasons three teams had every game

Sep 23, 2020, 7:46 PM

shown (taped, not live) on ESPN.

Clemson, Notre Dame, and UCLA.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In the 1983 and 1984 seasons three teams had every game

Sep 24, 2020, 5:57 AM

Clemson was still on probation during those years. I believe there was in-state only telecasts of games due to sanctions. My parents used to tape the games and mail them to me as I was in the Army and the games were not shown on regular TV.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: ESPN started covering college football in the 1984 season

Sep 23, 2020, 8:22 PM

It was mainly ABC and CBS before that. Clemson and Georgia was a big game for CBS in early 80's. Turner (TBS)had a college game on Saturday night too before ESPN. Looked it up and TBS started in 82. Seemed like it was always southern schools like Ole Miss and Tulane on TBS.

I remember putting aluminum foil on the antennas on the TV

Sep 23, 2020, 8:37 PM

And adjusting them so there would be no squiggly lines watching football on one of the four channels we got without squiggly lines. We got 1 more channel.... sometimes. And that was on the good color TV. The other TV was not even color. And it took a good 2 minutes for it to warm up.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I remember putting aluminum foil on the antennas on the TV

Sep 23, 2020, 9:45 PM

Due to probation, Clemson games were not allowed telecast the day of the game. So they were shown on local channels after midnight on Sunday morning. I do not know if this applied in 1984, but part of the probation kept us from going to a bowl game.

Sep 24, 2020, 7:01 AM

In 1983 and 84 I worked at the Communications Center. Clemson partnered with Raycom productions and we would tape every game and then edit it down to a 2 hour broadcast. I would go in at midnight and press play to upload the game to ESPN and then on Sunday morning, I would drive the tape to Charlotte so they could rebroadcast the game on Sunday. Good times and helped pay for my college.

Sep 23, 2020, 10:22 PM [ in reply to I remember putting aluminum foil on the antennas on the TV ]

I did not get cable TV until 1985. I was happy to get to watch the braves every night.

Sep 24, 2020, 6:55 AM

I remember watching the Braves in the 80's as a kid on TBS. Good lord they were terrible but I loved Rick Mahler and Glenn Hubbard.

Sep 24, 2020, 10:30 AM

Yes. WTBS Atlanta's SuperStation as it was known back in the day.

Re: ESPN started covering college football in the 1984 season

Sep 24, 2020, 7:13 AM

And has now regressed to being eSECpn.
One thing I am glad of however ,is we don't have to listen to Berman as much. What an annoying A-#0!?

ESPN did the live closed circuit broadcast of

Sep 24, 2020, 10:20 AM

the Clemson-coot game of 1981. I was in Frank McGuire arena watching that when Rod McSwain broke through and blocked the punt. Bam! Lots of Tigers in that place.

Re: ESPN did the live closed circuit broadcast of

Sep 24, 2020, 10:36 AM

Yes I remember being at LJ watching Clemson-Carolina games as a kid on closed circuit TV when they were not on broadcast/cable TV. Unthinkable today that the rivalry game would not be on regular TV.

Replies: 14
| visibility 2,316
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic