Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does this hurt us
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Does this hurt us

Oct 5, 2019, 11:05 PM

Come 2023 when players can start getting paid. I mean we won the natty 2 out of the last 4 years and have made the playoffs 4 years straight and even won the acc 4 years start but we only rank 25th in revenue out of other teams. Link in the the next post. Anyways GO TIGERS!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Does this hurt us

Oct 5, 2019, 11:06 PM

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.forbes.com/sites/chrissmith/2019/09/12/college-football-most-valuable-clemson-texas-am/amp/

How on earth are South Carolina and Arkansas in there??***

Oct 6, 2019, 12:42 AM

Oct 5, 2019, 11:10 PM

If players start getting paid, we are screwed.

We are doomed

Oct 6, 2019, 12:03 AM

Don’t you think they’ll be a cap on how much they get paid?

It’s not going to be a wide open bidding war

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: We are doomed

Oct 6, 2019, 12:21 AM

They might try a cap, but the premise seems to be the individual's right to monetize something of value he owns in a free market. If the courts rule along those lines, why would they allow a cap? Seems the courts would say the market determines how much someone can make off what he essentially owns the rights to.

I believe it's all over. Usher in the era of big-headed egomaniacal college kids building mansions & driving Lamborghinis.

Oct 6, 2019, 12:47 AM

Just because it is legal, doesn't mean the NCAA has to let you play.

Right now the whole system is about being fair and equal

Oct 6, 2019, 12:53 AM [ in reply to Re: We are doomed ]

Everyone gets 85 scholarships.

There is no way the schools outside of the top 10 in revenue would be in support of this.

I see a cap so wealthy schools don’t have an unfair advantage

Oct 6, 2019, 8:01 AM [ in reply to We are doomed ]

And how many teams are going to able to make sure their top 22 players reach that camp? Their top 44? Their whole team?

Oct 6, 2019, 12:40 AM [ in reply to Re: Does this hurt us ]

I wonder if that’s why Dabo is against it, is because he knows we don’t have the money to buy the big recruits year in and year out. And if we don’t win nattys and don’t make the playoffs then we really won’t have the money and it’ll crash fast. I’m a HVAC tech and don’t know anything when it comes to this stuff be that’s what it seems like to me. Am I wrong in this assumption? Anyways GO TIGERS!!!

no Dabo is against it because he wants the kids to go to

Oct 6, 2019, 6:54 AM

college and get an education.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing is, kids will leave California in droves

Oct 5, 2019, 11:13 PM

for example, let's say a 5 star QB from Cali is going to get $100,000. How long is that going to last in Los Angeles vs Tuscaloosa?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

we better REALLY enjoy the next 3 years of college football.***

Oct 6, 2019, 12:05 AM

Re: we better REALLY enjoy the next 3 years of college football.***

Oct 6, 2019, 12:58 AM

The Cali bill is about endorsements. Only top players are going to get enough to amount to anything, anyeay, and they're going to need to go to major schools to have the kind of visibility that gets them noticed and brings those endorsements. The schools themselves don't have to pay the players any more than the NCAA allows under the Cali law I think the bill is bad for the sport, but not so bad as to totally ruin it. If it were to get to the point that schools themselves had to pay, though, I don't see the sport surviving, and if football dies, all the non-revenue sports are dead,too.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nothing prevents rich boosters from "endorsing" high

Oct 6, 2019, 6:56 AM

school prospects through the kid's agent and making it a 4 year deal for signing with "x-rich" school

Oct 6, 2019, 6:32 AM

Maybe I am reading this whole thing wrong, and if I am please someone send me a T-mail telling me so.
This California proposal is not about paying the players to play, but paying them for revenue that is generated by selling their images, or getting an endorsement to sponsor them (like Zion Williamson got under the table from Nike).

Oct 6, 2019, 6:44 AM

Does that mean he should hold out until 2023?

Oct 6, 2019, 7:01 AM

players cannot "get paid" in 2023. players can get compensated for use of their likenesses in California. the world isn't going to come to an end. companies will simply stop using their likenesses, just like they did in Madden when the courts ruled Madden couldn't use player's likenesses without compensation.

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic