Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Does our Spring OV policy help or hurt us?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 8
| visibility 1

Does our Spring OV policy help or hurt us?

Apr 11, 2018, 10:13 AM

Something that is unique to our program (AFAIK) is that Dabo doesn't currently allow spring official visits. I believe that his reasoning is he wants recruits to come on an OV during the fall to fully experience game-day. I don't fully understand why he has taken this position though.

In the world of recruiting, we are constantly trying to gain advantages over our competition to win over a recruit. $55M+ in new facilities, social media, camps, etc. That is why this is a head-scratcher. This could be seen as a disadvantage that we've voluntarily assumed.

I understand that he wants recruits to pay their own way in the spring and then come for an OV in the fall to show that they are truly interested before we shell out money to host them. But that would be pretty difficult for players that live outside of realistic driving distance.

These recruits also have their own games during the fall that they'd have to plan around. So they only have a few available full weekends in the fall that they could come for the entire 48hrs. Some of them are only coming in Saturday morning and staying for 1 night, so they are spending less time in Clemson than they would on a full weekend OV in the spring.

It isn't hard to imagine a scenario where a top recruit wants to take all 5 OV's before committing in the early summer, but Dabo not allowing him to take one here in the spring affects his decision.

Are there other reasons for not allowing spring officials that I've not accounted for?

Does this unique policy help us differentiate ourselves from every other program? Or does it impose restrictions that could actually be working against us?

Lastly, are there any current or recent recruits that this policy might have affected positively/negatively?

If davidhood® weighed in, that would be awesome. I'm sure he has more insight here than anyone else would.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Does our Spring OV policy help or hurt us?***

Apr 11, 2018, 10:15 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Too soon

Apr 11, 2018, 10:18 AM

Link to Another Site's Discussion

Apr 11, 2018, 10:21 AM

It will probably be removed quickly.

https://theclemsoninsider.com/2018/02/09/clemson-to-steer-clear-of-spring-official-visits/

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Deleted in 3..2...1....

Apr 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

I will check it out though, thanks.

Re: Does our Spring OV policy help or hurt us?

Apr 11, 2018, 10:22 AM

I have wondered about this as well, but as normal I differ to Dabo as he seems to weigh his options and stay ahead of the game.

In years past it would have been a huge advantage for Clemson to have early OV and hope for early commitments that they could hope to maintain. With our new position as an elite team I think it may be more important to position yourself for the finish. The big name prospects are never in a rush to commit and Dabo has always had a firm policy on OVs after a commitment.

The reason may simply be he wants recruits to go see other schools and then by the time they take an OV to Clemson he is convinced they are firm. If they are unwilling to save an OV for Clemson then I don't think he sees them as a fit. Dabo has always recruited "Clemson Men" and bringing guys in early forces the staff to take a commitment very early or turn them away until later and risk leaving a bad impression.

null

Apr 11, 2018, 10:24 AM

Yea, this could definitely be a way he sets us up to be the last OV. We've seen how important that can be soooo many times recently. Especially with the new early signing day, having the OV's right before that in the fall might be a huge advantage.

It's time we get a coach

Apr 11, 2018, 10:37 AM

with a better grasp of this whole 'college football' thing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 11, 2018, 10:51 AM

gtriple®I think it is more a thing of following Dabo's hard and fast rule of, "Do you want to be here, or not?" Over the last few months I've noticed a trend taking place with recruits - who freely admit it - that they want to "save" their fall visits for places far away from home. Had one tell me at the Nike combine a few weeks ago that he and his mother want to go see Stanford and Texas and a few other places (that he really isn't considering) so they can get a free trip. That's great. Enjoy the recruiting process. But Dabo doesn't play games, and he wants young men to make the choice a man would make.

To me, the one thing that kind of hurts right now is offering a kid and then not accepting a commitment. That stings

badge-seniorwriter.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 8
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic