Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you think if football wasn’t so successful
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Do you think if football wasn’t so successful

Dec 4, 2019, 12:05 AM

Brad Brownell would still be the head coach? I do not. Team this year isn’t making the tourney. Another wasted year with a coach who should should have been let go years ago. It’s maddening because in the OP days I loved Clemson basketball. Even though he didn’t win in the tournament at least the team was fun to watch and had an identity. The product is terrible and I hope a change is made at the the end of the year. Even with the “better talent” will it be coached up I doubt it. Enough is enough

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you think if football wasn’t so successful

Dec 4, 2019, 12:19 AM

Not saying it will happen and hope like heck it don't happen because I want to see Coach Brownell succeed at Clemson and win but IMO I cannot see him even with a down year getting fired just because of what happen with the team winning the Gold Medal at the World University games during the summer

Dec 4, 2019, 12:24 AM

Do you realize the competition in the world university games? Not very good. Quite frankly I’m sick of hearing about that tournament. I want to compete in the ACC

Dec 4, 2019, 7:07 AM

We were the first USA team in years to win it. I know Kansas had a trip and was runner up against this "Not very good" competition you describe.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 10:13 AM

74TIGER said:

We were the first USA team in years to win it. I know Kansas had a trip and was runner up against this "Not very good" competition you describe.

Kansas was the last team to win it. Purdue is the team that didn't win and won the Silver. That team went on the sweet sixteen that season.

Dec 4, 2019, 10:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Do you think if football wasn’t so successful ]

Weather you dislike it or not it is a big deal to USA Basketball as well as the Clemson Men's Basketball program and also a lot of those players that played for their countries in the World University Games many of them play for College teams in the good ole USA

Dec 4, 2019, 3:20 AM

What part of 4 of our starters in BB has been out with injuries. 4 of the teams starting 5 out, that relates to starting 4 backup and 1 true starter. What AD in college basketball would fire their HC under those same circumstances???

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 4, 2019, 5:32 AM

Personally I think the two sports are unrelated.
Still, I agree with you that it already looks like another wasted year, but with a difference. I do believe this will be Brad's last unless he gets to the "Big Dance".
And please don't get me started on Oliver Purnell and his "run and gun" style of offense. They had plenty of run, but even I could shoot better than most of those guys, and I can't even palm a regulation size basketball.

Personally, I find a lot of Tiger fans'

Dec 4, 2019, 5:56 AM

Reactions distasteful...and it comes from football's success. Too many have zero respect for the opposition and apparently think the presence of a 'paw' on the uniform entitles Clemson teams to wins in all sports, all the time. The several who comment on soccer, likely never really following the team all year, now lose their marbles because the team isn't winning their tourney games with ease.

As for hoops...I simply laugh at the many who get wrapped around the axle over the sleaziest, seediest, most nationwide imbalanced sport there is. While officiating is descending lower and lower in football, it still can't compare with the effect calls/no-calls have in the hoops game. But, for those in the camp of 'misery adores company', carry on with your basketball love affair...and 'happy griping'!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I've been following Clemson basketball since the tree

Dec 4, 2019, 6:36 AM

rollins and Stan Rome days. Went to Bill Foster Camps. Clemson basketball isn't that different from what it used to be, decent team, beat a few that we're not supposed to every year, lose a few that we're not supposed to every year. Every 3rd year or so we get a tourney bid and about 1/2 the time we come home early. We're pretty competitive, and don't usually get blown out, except the occasional beating in Cameron or the Dean Dome. We usually lose close games. We can't shoot free throws and if we get a big lead early, we have to hang on to win, or barely lose. We almost always have a long streak where we can't score. This is what we have, it hasn't changed in 40 years. Brownlee is fine and good man who represents the school well. We'll never be a basketball school, just like Wake, UNC and Duke will rarely be football schools. It's the way it is.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t know how this is a wasted year, I

Dec 4, 2019, 11:58 AM

don’t know why you expected a team, most of which is full of underclassmen, to get out to an excellent start. I don’t care who the coach is they won’t be able to make a young team extremely successful immediately. Why do you think UK lost to Evansville, or Duke lost to Stephen F Austin? Because these things take time to develop. Just because you don’t make the tournament doesn’t mean it’s a wasted year, and if you do believe that making that missing out on a tournament is a wasted year, then Clemson has wasted somewhere around 70 years. This year is about building for the future, and if you expected it to be anything different after losing 4 starters then shame on you.

I think success in football at Clemson has been bad for Clemson basketball.

Dec 7, 2019, 1:03 AM

Some people believe that devoting resources to basketball might jeopardize our status in football (and they don’t want to do anything to risk that).

Other people think that it’s easy to apply the formula that worked for us in football to our basketball program. Hire a young guy with energy, and he will magically make us a winner.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic