Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do y’all remember chicken pox parties/sleepovers
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Do y’all remember chicken pox parties/sleepovers

Jul 1, 2020, 10:03 PM

Yeah parents would have their kids all sleepover and hang out with the kid who had the pox so they could get the virus while young and build the immunity to it before adulthood. Ya know chicken pox is still around but not nearly as widespread and I would guess nearly eradicated. And that was like the 70s and 80s maybe even 90s.

I wonder how long until people start having covid parties to get this thing behind them? I’m young healthy and not scared. I would rather help the high risk people by getting sick for a few days and joining the antibody crowd to stop the spread than wear a mask knowing I’m not really doing anything to help

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do y’all remember chicken pox parties/sleepovers

Jul 1, 2020, 10:23 PM

I don’t remember parties but I do remember my parents saying they wish we’d go ahead and get it so they wouldn’t have to worry about it anymore. And I think my brother and sister and I all got it within a short period of time.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A chickenpox vaccine was introduced in the US in 1995.

Jul 1, 2020, 10:25 PM

It’s nice to avoid shingles later in life.

Boomer Esiason was basically accusing the SEC and Clemson of having COVID “parties” to do exactly what you are saying.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Jul 1, 2020, 10:40 PM

Once again, there is zero evidence that getting the virus allows you to build any type of immunity. It is very possible that you can become reinfected through repeated exposure. This is why statement such as this and boomer’s hold little validity. COVID is not chicken pox, nor the flu.

Back in my day, we had polio parties

Jul 1, 2020, 10:40 PM

they were amazing, until those losers from the March of Dimes would crash and ruin all the fun. Naked Twister was a blast, at least for the ~70% of us who were asymptomatic.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 1, 2020, 10:46 PM

Coots thought they were small pox parties. Darwin kinda stuff.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a lot of people are already having Covid Parties

Jul 1, 2020, 11:03 PM

And yes, I remember, Chicken Pox parties. Or simply neighbors sending their kids over to play with kids with it.

1 in 60,000 people who get chickenpox die

Jul 2, 2020, 1:28 AM

About 100 a year. And it's much worse to get it as an adult.

That being said they're already having them.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/alabama-students-throwing-covid-parties-infected-officials/story?id=71552514

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 2, 2020, 8:08 AM

Yeah parents would have their kids all sleepover and hang out with the kid who had the pox so they could get the virus while young and build the immunity to it before adulthood. Ya know chicken pox is still around but not nearly as widespread and I would guess nearly eradicated. And that was like the 70s and 80s maybe even 90s.

I wonder how long until people start having covid parties to get this thing behind them? I’m young healthy and not scared. I would rather help the high risk people by getting sick for a few days and joining the antibody crowd to stop the spread than wear a mask knowing I’m not really doing anything to help

I'm with you, but only when you can provide evidence of antibodies and no re-infections.

Jul 2, 2020, 8:16 AM

Chicken pox parties started in the 60's as I remember when it was thought that this was a harmless disease. Now as people get shingles they wish their parents would have protected them from chicken pox.

What do we know about the long term effects of COVID-19 or SARS 2?

Right now we know very little about this disease. There are ideas that it does not affect young people, that it only kills older people with underlying health issue. Middle aged people get it but mostly recover.

But what is going to happen 10,20 or 30 yeas down the road? MAYBE nothing, maybe things that will be regretted by the young and immortal that are having COVID parties.

I don't have the answers just lots of questions based on information from Johns Hopkins and the CDC.

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic