Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do You Remember?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Do You Remember?

Jun 14, 2018, 5:01 PM

This play happened in the late 1950's or early 1960's. I've talked to several former players of that era and fans old enough to have been regular attendees at home games during that period. No one can remember the play.

I believe Maryland was our opponent. They punted to Clemson but no one caught the ball, The ball rolled inside the Clemson 20 yard line on the Southwest corner of the field. The ball had not been blown dead and several Maryland players were standing around the ball. One of the Tiger players, without too much fanfare, slowly picked up the ball and started running down field. The Maryland players around the ball, probably thinking the ball was dead, made no effort to tackle the Tiger player. When the Maryland players realized the ball had not been blown dead, started chasing the Tiger player. The Tiger player was probably the slowest player on the field and was finally tacked just a short way across mid-field. Everyone sitting in our section were laughing their tails off and remarking they had never seen a play like that before. Why the official had never blown the ball dead was also a mystery.

Is there just one person out there who remembers the play?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do You Remember?

Jun 14, 2018, 5:35 PM

Hey Joe, if they had leather helmets, no one on here would remember. Well, maybe LBB

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As a former low level ref

Jun 14, 2018, 5:43 PM

You don't call the ball dead on a punt if there seems to be one person on the receiving team that looks like they might make an attempt for the ball unless the kicking team kills it. Apparantly the one Tiger had that look. If all 11 Clemson players were heading to the sideline and the ball was stopped on the field, then you'd blow it dead.

Oh yeah, I'm 42, so I don't remember this play.

Weirdest special teams play I recall was the SC State game a couple of years ago when we scored 2 touchdowns in the same second.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: As a former low level ref

Jun 14, 2018, 6:30 PM

Yes Joe I remember that play, but very vaguely. I was only maybe 12 or so at that time.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as a student

Jun 15, 2018, 8:43 AM

I think it was Ted Bunton who was a center/linebacker. I also remember him tackling a Clemson DB who intercepted a ball in the end zone and started to run it out. The guy was in the center of the field and had no chance to get past the 5 yard line so Bunton tackled him in the end zone for the touchback.

Re: I was there as a student

Jun 15, 2018, 8:45 AM

Just remembered the other team had touched the ball, but had not downed it, so if we had fumbled it trying to pick it up it would still be Clemson's ball.

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic