Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Devin Coleman. We didn't play him because he couldn't play
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

Devin Coleman. We didn't play him because he couldn't play

Jan 27, 2014, 8:26 AM

defense???? Well I hate to think that he could be any worse that what we have been playing! But at least he could score. I just don't get it!!!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so we're 16 games into the season, we've had 2 bad

Jan 27, 2014, 8:37 AM

defensive performances on the road in acc play and you are ready to start saying we arent a good defensive team. 2 bad games doesnt outweigh a 16 game season.

pitt couldnt miss and north carolina played their best game of the season.

we'll be just fine.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I liked Devin, but people on here act as though he was the

Jan 27, 2014, 9:48 AM

2nd coming of Josh Reddick or something. He scored 16 against SC St, not Pitt. Not UNC. The injury had affected his quickness(at least for this year) to the point where he could not guard effectively. And anyone who thinks he could get off the shots he did against lesser competition against longer, quicker, ACC athletes is simply delusional. He was not forced out. We did not ask him to leave. He made a choice, and it could have been a premature one as he surely would have gotten a chance to come in and "score" the last 2 games. I understand why he did it, to get PT after 1st semester next season and have basically 2 full years elsewhere. But people need to realize it was his decision to leave, and that if he had earned the time(health played a part), he'd have been playing more against the non-conference competition in December

He was the best pure scorer on this team. This team can not

Jan 27, 2014, 2:01 PM

score and it's all based on that we play defense. Well that got shot to .... the last 2 games. You have to have someone other than KJ. And you say he couldn't guard.... Well evidently neither could anyone we put on the court last night.

And you base this on what? A few decent games against

Jan 27, 2014, 3:31 PM

SC St and Furman? Not even great games, decent. If he could score the way you believe he'd have played a lot more. Other than 8 minutes against UMass, all his damage was against low majors. Basically what you are saying is that the staff simply refused to play the best players. Or maybe, they know what they are doing and you have no clue

Re: And you base this on what? A few decent games against

Jan 27, 2014, 8:58 PM

I do not proclaim to know more than Brownell….however where is it written a fan can not question anything. He had his reasons for not playing Mr. Coleman and I question why. All he has given is vague statements of "defense", "numbers, we have a lot of people", etc.

My opinion is that he should have been playing at least 15-20 mins a game based on the make up of the team and my perception on what the team needed….shooting. I will acknowledge he wasn't the best defender by far…..but he clearly was the one of the best shooters on the team if not the best.

You indicate he was scoring on lesser teams….SC state, Furman, etc. Well that was who was on the schedule who he played significant minutes against. I also know towards the end of his freshman year (when he started to play) he scored on Florida State (9), V. Tech (6) and (15) both of whom are ACC teams. He was the leading scorer in the final ACC tournament game, when presumably they were a better team. You can not score from the bench. If he was sitting behind Andre Young, Tanner Smith, D. Stitt that would be one thing.

Maybe Brownell is right…maybe not….I would have played Mr. Coleman even if he wasn't the best defender because my team needs necessitated it. He didn't, Coleman left for Temple (not exactly a step down). We will see how it plays out. Either way I hope it is a win win for Mr. Coleman and the Tiger Basketball.

ALSO, Our out of conference schedule was WEAK !

Jan 27, 2014, 10:30 PM

The few significant times he played he put up some points !

- From the commentators "it really doesn't matter if you have a great defense if you can't make points on the other end ..."

-Clemson had one of the weakest out of conference schedules in the NCAA ...

I guess, he never had a chance to prove what he could do against stronger teams ... He got frustrated and left

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do you believe he got his chances in practice?

Jan 28, 2014, 8:29 AM

Because basically, that's what your saying, he didn't. Do you not believe if he had earned that time he would not have gotten it? Either he didn't win the spot, or the coaches are purposefully shooting themselves in the head. Just can't see them doing that

Devin was an asset, he scored more then he gave up ...

Jan 27, 2014, 7:07 PM [ in reply to I liked Devin, but people on here act as though he was the ]

best pure shooter on a team that has very few, if any, pure shooters

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Again, you base this on what? Games against mediocre

Jan 27, 2014, 7:56 PM

teams with wide open shots. Do we seriously believe if Coleman was the best player at 2 guard we would not have played him?

Re: Again, you base this on what? Games against mediocre

Jan 28, 2014, 8:26 PM

Based on what my eyes showed me.

They tell me D. Harrison is the best defender at the 2. Mr. Coleman was the best shooter at the 2 (although you could make a argument for Roper).

They also tell me:
* Coleman should have been playing at least 10-20 mins per game.
* The Juco transfer kid should rarely leave the bench (worst on d than Coleman and never scores, rebounds, blocks a shot, etc).
* Didn't need 10 minutes to get his feet set to get his shot up.
* Clearly not the best defender (side to side movement was terrible).

I'm not arguing he is the best 2 guard….just he should have been playing. And yes I think even basketball people (who know way more than me) make mistakes i.e. Michael Jordon (Wizards/Bobcats), Joe Dumars (Detroit), and whoever is running Minnesota…etc. Not every decision is the right decision even by those that know more than Brownell….not playing Coleman was the WRONG decision in light of your struggles to shoot.

Maybe Mr. Coleman simply couldn't shoot in practice. I doubt it but that must be your theory.

Come on, really?

Jan 27, 2014, 3:45 PM

I like Coleman's game, and was excited to see what he could do for us when healthy. But do you honestly think that our impression of him in limited minutes is more correct than Brownell's after recruiting the guy, watching film, seeing him in practice for the last two years, and observing him in off-season workouts?!?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Pssh Brownell doesn't know anything about basketball

Jan 27, 2014, 7:19 PM

I coached my sons pop warner team to a 3-7 record last year. I KNOW BASKETBALL!!

somebody got to go to make room for next yr.***

Jan 27, 2014, 10:01 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic