Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you

Feb 14, 2020, 12:54 PM

When your struggling team goes on the road in the ACC and wins by 20, how long do we have to talk about it?

A) None at all. Feel free to talk about your favorite topic every day, no matter its relevance.

B) Two words. “Great win, but....” Then return to your favorite topic while pretending it’s relevant.

C) At least one or two posts to demonstrate that you appreciate the development of the team.

D) Have to? Are you kidding me? I’ve been looking forward to something like this so we can recognize the improvements these kids are making! Oliver Purnell never won a conference road game by 20! Pitt had won 4 straight at home and was one of the more consistent offensive teams in the league. We held them 10 points below their lowest home score all year, shot well, turned the ball over fewer times than they typically force, and I could go on and on about this but I think someone else should get a chance to post.....

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you

Feb 14, 2020, 1:05 PM

Are you serious? This is a great win in a down ACC this year. Bottom line is we are 12-12.

Go make a hype video to sell me on them exciting prospects of a possible NIT bid. We are all Tiger fans here but what you are asking is unrealistic.

Feb 14, 2020, 1:14 PM

So you’re a B, correct?

morris said:

Are you serious? This is a great win in a down ACC this year. Bottom line is we are 12-12.

Go make a hype video to sell me on them exciting prospects of a possible NIT bid. We are all Tiger fans here but what you are asking is unrealistic.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you ]

In this thread, all I asked for was your opinion re the game Wednesday night.

My opinion is not the default.

Feb 14, 2020, 1:08 PM

ACC may be down this year. But we're better than UNC. Much better actually.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 1:17 PM

Not a very bright comment.

The team is inconsistent. If they could hit over 50% from 3 for games, they would win a lot.
They can't. In fact, they are pretty inept at scoring.

If beating Duke was development, then they would have played better the rest of the way, right?

This isn't development either.

The other part of the problem with Brownell is that a strong end to a season never seems to carry over to a strong start to the next season.

Message was edited by: castaway®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 14, 2020, 6:59 PM

So....shooting 50% is only a ‘development’ if we shoot 51% next game? It’s only “positive “ if it’s permanent? No wonder nobody posts positive observations. What a blitheringly blind standard.

You don’t see Dawes’ ball-handling in the final four minutes against a defense that feeds off FOs to be a development?

What about Trapp’s FT shooting?

How about Trey Jemison’s play underneath? How about his accounting for almost half our ORs in only 10 minutes of play?

How about Alex Hemenway’s continued great shooting against a variety of defenses?

You don’t see any of those things as “developments “? None of that is worthy of comment?

Feb 14, 2020, 7:39 PM

We have looked great at times this year and horrible at others. I thought we had developed into a solid team once Trapp came back but then we go on a 3 game streak where we cannot score. I liked what I saw against Pitt tho no doubt. Hopefully we carry it over to the UL game tomorrow.

On the TNets, negatives are worth harping on endlessly

Feb 14, 2020, 10:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you ]

but positives don’t matter unless they are sustained.

A great example of this is our free throw shooting. Brad’s teams shoot free throws way, way better than Purnell’s, Barnes’s, Ellis’s, or any other Clemson basketball coach. He never gets credit on TigerNet for this, despite nearly a decade as our coach.

However, we hit a three game stretch this year where we shoot uncharacteristically poorly from the foul line, and there are posts upon posts here about how Brad isn’t doing a good job coaching free throws, Clemson hasn’t ever been good at free throws, etc.

I do an in-depth post about our free throw shooting under Brownell, with season-by-season data over the last 30 years, and get thumbs downed and comments about how Brad still sucks.

Then, we improve our free throw shooting tremendously after those three games and shoot well from the line, and there is no mention of how much better we are doing. Nobody praises our players for putting in the work to improve, or our coaches for helping them do so. I even pointed out the improvement a couple of weeks ago, and it was crickets. People had moved onto something else to complain about.

All the while, people here keep patting themselves on the back for being such good basketball fans, saying that it would be better supported if Brad’s teams just weren’t so boring, and reminiscing about that time students camped out for tickets decades ago. The disconnect here is pathetic, and most people don’t even see it.

Thank you for your post!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: On the TNets, negatives are worth harping on endlessly

Feb 14, 2020, 11:18 PM

Would would Barb or Princess say? TIA!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 15, 2020, 7:40 PM [ in reply to Re: Dear Tnet, I have a very simple basketball question for you ]

I do.

:)

E) Do you even softball, bruh?***

Feb 14, 2020, 2:34 PM

null

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Feb 14, 2020, 2:37 PM

Were these just hypothetical discussions we could have if they happened to be true? Not to be a Debbie Downer but:

1. Oliver Purnell never won a conference road game by 20!

Clemson won at Virginia 82-51 on 2/07/08. Not sure if there were any more times. Oh, were you referring to exactly 20?

2. Pitt had won 4 straight at home and was one of the more consistent offensive teams in the league.

Four in a row at home is correct... all against teams with sub-.500 overall and conference records.

Not sure what you mean by "consistent", but Pitt is consistently bad. They are 12th in league in PPG and FG% averaging 66.2 PPG and 41.1%. Clemson has very similar numbers though.

3. We held them 10 points below their lowest home score all year

West Virginia held Pitt to 53 points at home earlier this year. They also only scored 59 against NIU. Both of these are within 10 of their point total against Clemson.

Feb 14, 2020, 3:15 PM

Yes, they were hypothetical to give an over-the-top positive option comparable with the one I consider to be absurdly negative, but I had looked back through ESPNs archives to 2002 re the MoV for a conference road win.

I saw the score v. UVA on 2/7/08 and read it backwards. Sorry. Good catch. You undoubtedly followed the Tiger basketball team more closely than I did then. I hope your dedication is rewarded soon.

But tell me honestly: did you know that, or did you get it from Tim Bourret?

There were none between 2002-08. So if Brownell’s team does it again, it will be the ‘only’ team to do it twice. Unless you have access to archives pre-Purnell.

Feb 14, 2020, 7:57 PM

I honestly thought it was more times than that. Purnell’s teams could run away from the opposition during the regular season, but would stink up the gym at tourney time. I guess most of the blowouts were at home though.

Feb 15, 2020, 1:37 PM

Saw elsewhere on Tnet that our program now has 6 road wins of 20+ points in its entire history.

No indication of how many were ACC victories.

Feb 15, 2020, 7:32 PM

Interesting - wonder if that includes the big tourney win over Auburn a few years back, or if they are only talking about “true” road wins on opponents home court?

the Quote in option b is 3 words...hth***

Feb 14, 2020, 7:29 PM

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

Re: the Quote in option b is 3 words...hth***

Feb 14, 2020, 7:44 PM

Ok.

But only two in response to the win.

"But" is a coordinating conjunction that introduces the digressing topic.

Man you and Karen post so much alike.

Feb 14, 2020, 8:08 PM

“You’re right, but....here’s a long drawn out reason on why in my head I’m actually correct, even though it’s clear that I’m not.”

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

Re: Man you and Karen post so much alike.

Feb 15, 2020, 1:24 AM

What part of "introduces the digressing topic" is unclear?

Someone has reading comprehension issues....***

Feb 15, 2020, 9:29 AM

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic