Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dealing With The 4 Game Rule Moving Forward......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1,086

Dealing With The 4 Game Rule Moving Forward......

Sep 27, 2018, 8:05 AM

With the Kelly Bryant transfer, I think it’s safe to say that the 4 game rule is going to affect recruiting and how coaches try to have a roster staffed with proper depth.

This rule I believe was more made up for those 1st and 2nd year players to allow them to stay dialed into the program rather than getting frustrated and leaving too early. I don’t think 5th year seniors were considered in this rule as they can leave as graduate transfers without sitting out a year.

Will that rule have to be tweaked to apply to players for their first years? Perhaps. I feel that college football is moving towards unrestricted free agency and more like the NFL which I hate.

I think this is going to put more pressure on Coaches to make roster decisions earlier so when a player like Kelly Bryant decides to leave he will have time to find a replacement player…

What would Dabo have done at the end of the Spring game and sat Kelly Bryant down and asked him what his intentions were if he was unwilling to accept a backup role if Trevor Lawrence or Hunter Johnson beat him out? If KB says he would transfer,then Dabo should have parted ways with KB right then if the competition was that close...Hunter Johnson might have stayed around..who knows?

Any player could say they would stick around, but I think coaches are going to have to think about these matters in key positions like the QB spot. Coaches are going to have to have a list of potential replacements in the graduate transfers, Jucos, are good 2nd stringers that can be "Poached" after Spring Ball...

I don't like the way this rule is going to affect college football....Perhaps coaches need a "franchise" option to block certain positions....That would suck

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Re: Dealing With The 4 Game Rule Moving Forward......

Sep 27, 2018, 8:15 AM

This is just the first wave. Apparently Auburn had 4 players announce transfers and Arkansas' top receiver did too! The Grad transfer rule at least makes a little sense but with the 4 game red shirt it compounds the problem. Maybe it should be limited to 1st 2 playing seasons or non starters. I know that opens another can of worms, but the other rules openned them first.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Leave rule alone. Rule is fine.***

Sep 27, 2018, 8:16 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agreed...

Sep 27, 2018, 8:23 AM

I have zero problem with the rule. It's new for all, but it's a fair rule that, down the line, may prove to have some consequences for players. How they communicate their aspirations...manage the departure, etc. There's a behavioral aspect to applying the rule to each player's situation, some that will make sense, others that will indicate an underlying issue. For players seeking the next level, they will have to address how they manage a school change. It's early still, but 'cause and effect' will ultimately carry some weight.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Agreed...

Sep 27, 2018, 8:37 AM

Agree also. The new rule is like a new shiny toy that looks great and catches the eye. But I'm sure somewhere down the road, a player will regret transferring and others will take notice and not be so quick to go down the same path.

You may be right...

Sep 27, 2018, 9:26 AM

That's why I wanted to toss this subject round...it is a "new shiny toy"...I think when the majority of players that take their marbles and leave don't not find that pot of gold at another school will cool this down.

Using Kelly Bryant and an example, I would be surprised if he is able to land at a place with the WR's and RB talent that Clemson has that also doesn't have an established QB in place...If he goes to a place like Arkansas with no talent he will actually look worse as a full time starter than a 2 QB system with 30-40% of the snaps looking better...Of course the way he left the program won't bode well on his reputation as Dabo by most accounts was very fair with him.

The Artist Formerly Known as "The FIGHTINGDABOS"

Rule could change if senior transfers get out of hand

Sep 27, 2018, 9:34 AM

I'm mostly ok with it unless we see dozens and dozens of seniors transferring every year like KB. I understand the upside for him, but if a team has two or three guys do that in one season, your depth chart can get wrecked in a hurry (I'm not a fan of only having two scholarship QBs).

I could see them making the rule for underclassmen only. I doubt this upperclassmen transfer loophole was something they intended to have happen a lot.

Replies: 6
| visibility 1,086
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic