Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dave Doeren is a good football coach
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 43
| visibility 1

Dave Doeren is a good football coach

Oct 16, 2018, 11:33 AM

He's also a bad sport, a whiner - both in the media postgame, and to the refs during the game - and he's borderline (if not over-the-line) dirty; his players are always chippy, combative, and prone to cheap shots. They knocked out Gallman a couple years back with deliberate helmet-to-helmet targeting that wasn't called, and it was textbook: leading with the crown of the helmet, blindsiding a player who didn't see it coming, clear intent to injure.

That said, he's the coach I respect most in the East aside from maybe Dino Babers. The dude knows how to build a program and while Doeren plays the game (he did interview for - and then decline - the job at Tennessee last year) he's not a shameless merc and self-promoter the way a guy like, say, Bobby Petrino seems to be. Nor does he run around just throwing jack and coming home with mercenary players like Hugh Freeze used to.

No, Doeren does it the right way, in many ways: he knows his base, and he recruits the heck out of it. He's got a display of the helmets of every North Carolina high school on his facilities wall, has built a network with the HS coaches throughout the region and concentrates his recruiting on the state of North Carolina as much as possible. He's dominating UNC in that regard. He builds from the lines out - he's always got solid OL and DL - and he shares Dabo's approach to building a program: few transfers (only QB Ryan Finley came from another program, transferring in from Boise State along with former Boise OC Eliah Drinkwitz), no JUCO's, an emphasis on actual quality over perceived recruiting glitz.

If you look at his win-loss ratio compared to recruiting rankings, he destroys most SEC coaches. Look at his Rivals.com ratings: 34th in 2018, 53rd in 2017, 43rd in 2016, 35th in 2015. On paper, that ain't getting it done...but he's also got the Pack up to 5-0 this year after going 9-4 last year...that's 14-4 over the last 18 games, which is edging up into the Top-15 to Top-10 range, and his actual roster quality - and NFL draft pick production - is just way better than the Recruitniks assert.

Keep in mind, he also got Northern Illinois up to 12-1 in 2012, actually got them all the way to the Orange Bowl - the Orange Bowl! - as a BCS At Large. That was NOT easy to do.

I don't like him much - Doeren isn't an overly charismatic or likable guy, quite the opposite, in fact - but the results definitely seem to indicate he's pretty durn good. In the lexicon of Wall Street, he "overperforms". I think he's a lot like Dan Mullen, in a lot of ways: not a trendy name, not a guy regarded as elite by the press or general public...but he's a program-builder. I think, exactly like Mullen seems to be doing at UF, once Doeren finally reaches his "destination" job at a major program, he's going to win a ton of games consistently and be dug in there for the foreseeable future. Mississippi State has remained strong after Mullen left because he left them a boatload of talent; Northern Illinois went 12-2 in both 2013 and 2014 after Doeren left; both coaches left formerly unremarkable programs stocked with developed and recruited talent. And exactly like Mullen did with Mississippi State, I think he's going to leave NC State vastly stronger than he found it. Eliah Drinkwitz is a Chris Peterson-tree OC and one of the most highly-regarded young offensive minds in the game; once Doeren moves along - which I suspect could well be this next offseason if he keeps winning - Drinkwitz seems like pretty much a lock to take over at State. Which likewise implies State probably won't be dropping off anytime soon.

We might blow out State this week. Our history with the Pack - and with Doeren in particular - suggests otherwise: that it's going to be a tough, close, hard-fought, nasty, mean-spirited game. They're going to come in, as they always do under Doeren, with a good game plan, a chip on their shoulders, and they're going to stick in our grills.

Just my own take. But we've definitely hit the "survive and advance" half of the season, and even at home, any win against this Wolfpack team is a good win, and style points can wait for another day.

I want a blowout, of course. I hope for a blowout. The balance of talent is assuredly in our favor...if our backs get loose like they did against Wake, the result could be similar. But the bottom line is we've got a freshman QB with two starts (in one of which he lasted one quarter) under center, the Pack has a sixth-year senior in Ryan Finley (who many draftniks call the #1 QB in the draft) and some dangerous targets on the perimeter, and that's one huge equalizer, especially as well-coached and, well, combative as the Pack are. This one could be another dogfight.

Hope I'm wrong. Convince me I am, please. :D

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^ You’re 110% Right-On “Q” and

Oct 16, 2018, 12:22 PM

it will be a tough game & a tough win, if we do!

Saying, TigerNation better be ready & in super noise mode for 4 quarters! ??

Go TiGERS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Can't help you there, because you're not wrong.

Oct 16, 2018, 12:24 PM

Like you, I can see a scenario where we whoop on them pretty good. However, more likely, we'll probably be in another scrap. If so, I just hope and pray it's early-ish and we get it under control by the 4Q. If we establish the run early, I like our chances a LOT. If we can't for some reason, and have to rely on Trevor throwing it, then we could be in trouble. Penalties will go a long way in deciding this one too. They throw a ton of back shoulder balls and our CBs can get into trouble there if they're not disciplined. I do feel like their WRs are going to be a challenge - very good group that doesn't get enough credit.

Imagine him at Scar.....

Oct 16, 2018, 12:26 PM

That rivalry would be so intense on the field we'd probably have another brawl.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Clemson doesn't care about basketball....as evidenced by Brown-L getting 14 years.

I guess being the head coach at $CU beats unemployment ...

Oct 16, 2018, 1:56 PM

but why would Dave take a demotion to go there unless Nancy State canned him?

Between the two NC State is the better job.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

I expect benches to clear if one of those wolf pups injure

Oct 17, 2018, 10:09 PM [ in reply to Imagine him at Scar..... ]

another one of our players.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Re: If there's one thing you can count on, it's NC State

Oct 16, 2018, 12:29 PM

stepping on a rake.

They've managed to self-destruct two years in a row. My money says it will be 3. The crappy part will be listening to the new excuses Doeren will cook up justifying his loss.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Re: Dave Doeren is a good football coach

Oct 16, 2018, 12:35 PM

He is a pretty good coach, it's surprising that he's never beat a team with 9 wins at NC State.

They should have beaten Usuc last year to stop them to an 8 win team.

Oct 16, 2018, 12:37 PM

My business partner is a woolfie and he admits Doeren is a poor loser. I hope we beat them to a pulp.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 12:42 PM

Anyone who is writing off this game as an easy win is making a gigantic mistake. I'm legitimately worried about this game. State will come in here hungry and ready to take someone's head off (literally). Everything the OP says is right on the money. State is an aggressive, well coached team with a stud QB and legit weapons on offense. This very well could become a shootout. And if it does, the seasoned QB will have the edge.

I don't expect to lose Saturday. But at the same time, we will be fortunate to win.

Oct 16, 2018, 1:12 PM

I have not read a serious post arguing we will blow them out...Turnovers and big plays, as is typical in competitive games, may decide it.

Have you read the Vegas line?

Oct 16, 2018, 5:28 PM

CU -16 1/2

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

if our RBs get loose like they did against Wake

Oct 16, 2018, 12:44 PM

NCS will be aiming to take out knees and end careers. Then brag about it afterwards.
NCS is filth.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 16, 2018, 12:52 PM

I'd like to think we can whip them pretty good, but there's a lot of hope in that thought. If we come out running the ball successfully and can play ball control, it will take away some of their ability to throw against our secondary. Whatever they do in the passing game, most of it will have to be quick release short stuff, which could result in some picks and/or fumbles, particularly if we play nickel. Our front 4 should get enough pressure to make them stay within the short game, which could provide the turnover opportunities.

I think if we can run the ball, we'll hit a few long passes for scores when the safeties cheat up and out wide. If we combine some of the dreaded screen game to the edges in combination with the run game, the safeties will come up to the edges and leave the middle wide open. If we can then get a TE or OG into the A-Gap on the MLB and any nickel back, we should break some long runs up the middle.

I think we should score about 35-45 points. We should be able to hold them below that - say around 24 points...... so my guess is 40-24 good guys.

I think you're right about the "dirty play" stuff and I hope

Oct 16, 2018, 1:10 PM

Trevor has his head on a swivel b/c they will be looking to take him out of the game in some way. Maybe a personal foul helmet to helmet is worth it for them and how they operate. I sure hope not but teams like them, auburn, alabama are always looking to take out the opponents best player instead of competing straight up with them. Remember how Auburn cheap shotted kyle parker in the back with the crown of a helmet as he slid(which later affected his play), the way bama tried to helmet to helmet mike williams early in the game & tried to russian sickle DW4 early in the first in the national championship, and like you eluded to the dirty hit on Gallman to get rid of him.

Trevor be looking for the cheap shot is all i'll say. They'll def. try. I just hope they miss.

Re: I think you're right about the "dirty play" stuff and I hope

Oct 16, 2018, 6:36 PM

You know when you play NCSt, you will be in a dogfight. Dabo does not sanction payback personal fouls, so our guys will need to focus on execution in order to make the Wolfie's pay.

We have a greater talent disparity with them than any other time in recent memory, and i think we have the strengths to match up well with them except when they use our strengths against us. So i do expect Finley to have some success--if we play Man, we lower his completion pctg and frustrate him on third down but leave ourselves open to occasional big plays. And Harmon mismatches with everyone.

But your comment is my greatest fear. We can win with either of 2 QBs if they are not intimidated, but these Wolfie's are true headhunters on Defense. I don't want Chase to have to rally us again after our all-everything QB gets taken out. And if God-forbid Hunter has to play QB, Dabo will not be able to prevent players commit ting payback fouls.

Tiger fans might come out of the stands if anything happens to Trevor and Chase. Dave might end up talking about real threats instead of laptops.

Not that i condone that, of course.

Oct 16, 2018, 1:25 PM

While I want to agree with you, I will not say good things about anyone that I dislike so much. He is the epitome of someone I want to punch in the face. Had he grown up in my neighborhood, his face would be distorted right now. We lived by a code of doing the right thing, and fixing the *holes that thought they could do otherwise. We were the judges, juries, and executioners to keep everyone in line. He comes to mind when I think of those days. LOL - life has changed now though, and most people tolerate and hire total *holes like Petrino and Dorean. Some places need an enema.

For me to poop on.***

Oct 16, 2018, 1:29 PM

TL;DR...Dave Doreen sucks.***

Oct 16, 2018, 1:48 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I appreciate you.

Oct 16, 2018, 3:06 PM

I read every word you post, sometimes twice if the post are long an in depth. You'be convinced me that Doerean is a good coach, I concede that now that you've shown the historical recruiting rankings. I could contest that those rankings are frail due to those doing the rankings not knowing as much as the typical football fan believes they know. I won't.

I believe you may be not factoring in very important considerations about where we are, where NCS is and how uch is on the line in this one game. I've heard some say that NCS will lose a couple games before the post season. I don't buy that.

Imo, Dabo is always 'hotdogging,' this time of the year. He will play anyone in situations when it appears the outcome of the game is undecided. I do not believe that is true. I think he's always in control of the games this time of the year. I use to get angry and frustrated because those games cause me so much unnecessary anxiety. I believe that he manufactures adversity and drama for the players. It makes them tough as nails when they believe they are going to blow the game if they blow the next play. I understand, the players must play each and every play as if the game is on the line.

This NCS team is not to be played, imo. I believe we will take control of the game early and allow our stars to shine throughout the game. Our first clue that I'm right is if we begin by blowing NCS off the LOS and run the football like our hair is on fire. I do not think they can stop our running game. Imo, they lost too much on the defensive line to handle us.

I don't believe Dabo will lay the division title on the line this year. If we come out passing to the flats I'll be surprised. I'll also be very wrong, we'll see.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I appreciate you.

Oct 18, 2018, 7:53 AM

I think you both are right and largely that is why I am confident in a comfortable win. Doerean is a good coach and the staff knows it. Dabo is also always one step ahead.

The staff and players take games one week at a time and big games are just the next game. Not this week! Dabo has talked multiple times about this as a big game. He has called out his defensive line and NCST called out Clemson. This team is healthy and excited about this game.

Turnovers, injuries, etc. always happen, but we will come out to score early and often and put this game to bed at halftime.

null

Oct 16, 2018, 3:21 PM

hell yeah man im pumped

Doeren was on the short end of a 41-0 score in 2014 ...

Oct 16, 2018, 5:22 PM

... I’m looking for something like that Saturday.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Doeren was on the short end of a 41-0 score in 2014 ...

Oct 17, 2018, 6:35 PM

41-37 wolf pack wins

Tigers play hard and look like a top 15 team

Oct 17, 2018, 8:25 PM

Doeren is 17-25 in ACC play. NCSU has lost 13 out of the last 14 games vs Clemson. Clemson has won the last 6 in a row.

NCSU sent 8 to the League form a very good defense last year, and still couldn't beat the Tigers on their home field.

I think NCSU is a good team. I do not think they can stay within 2 TD's of this Tiger team in Death Valley.

Go Tigers!

Oct 17, 2018, 9:48 PM [ in reply to Re: Doeren was on the short end of a 41-0 score in 2014 ... ]

It’s looking like it may be a wet game according to the weather forecast, I like the Tigers ground game to win in those conditions.

What have you been smoking dude?***

Oct 18, 2018, 10:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Doeren was on the short end of a 41-0 score in 2014 ... ]

Doeren is a bully, and he needs his nose bloodied big time.

Oct 17, 2018, 8:15 PM

Cheap shots will abound on our skilled position players with the intent of knocking them out of the game.

If targeting is called his entire team will be ejected...

Oct 18, 2018, 6:59 AM

before they knock out our starting skill players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 17, 2018, 8:46 PM

If I were a recruit, I would be turned off by the bad aspects you pointed out. In fact, I was turned off by much less when I was a recruit, and quickly crossed those schools off my list. I'll take a good sport like Dabo any day. Go Tigers!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Oct 17, 2018, 9:13 PM

Touch down Jesus dabo. Give me a break!

"Good football coach" & "Piece of s***" ...

Oct 17, 2018, 11:55 PM

... are not mutually exclusive.

Meh...

Oct 18, 2018, 12:52 AM

We pressed too hard in 16 and almost gave the game away, similar to pitt who actually beat us. (To me Narduzzi is a better coach)

He couldn't get it done last year at home with a top 10 draft pick and a likely round 1 qb.

He also could not beat a mediocre notre dame team or a less talented wake team.

Dont let the emotion of 2 close games cloud judgement and Call me when he wins a big game.

Uhhh.. No..

Oct 18, 2018, 5:59 AM

Finley is one hell of a QB.. Doeren will be right back on the hotseat like he was a few years ago after Finley heads to the NFL and they have another 7-6 season.

Venables

Oct 18, 2018, 6:23 AM

I wonder how Coach Venables plans for his guys to combat Finely? What can the Tiger Defense do better than Finely has ever seen done?

Find it difficult to dispute anything in your post quozzel

Oct 18, 2018, 6:52 AM

well said and ditto.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They lost to Wake and USuC last year, with more talent

Oct 18, 2018, 9:58 AM

So, program building you may be right. In game coaching leaves much to be desired.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

NCSt struggled w Marsh, JMU, UVA & BC

Oct 18, 2018, 10:22 AM

This game will not be close.

Unless they get a bunch of jump ball prayers answered a la Kellen Mond, this will be a blowout. Finley just throws it up for 50/50 balls all day.

They have 0 running game.

Their defense had trouble w JMU and Marshall.

They are not on our level unless its a twighlight zone game like Syracuse and everything goes bad at once.

All you need to know is they beat James Madison 24-13. They are not on our level at all.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 19, 2018, 8:20 PM

I think Jacoby brissett also transferred into ncsu. It wouldn’t surprise me if Doeren continues to test the transfer market for qbs. There’s a lot of value to be had with aftermarket QBs these days - Jarrett stidham (although his has ruined him) , the kid at OU, the kid at West Virginia, kid at LSU, kid at Michigan, Kelly b, Jalen hurts...

if i am an up and coming team like N.C. state who has built a squad like Doeren, I will easily take a second stringer from a CFP contender/ hopeful.

I think Jacoby brissett also transferred into ncsu. It wouldn’t surprise me if Doeren continues to test the transfer market for qbs. There’s a lot of value to be had with aftermarket QBs these days - Jarrett stidham (although his has ruined him) , the kid at OU, the kid at West Virginia, kid at LSU, kid at Michigan, Kelly b, Jalen hurts...

if i am an up and coming team like N.C. state who has built a squad like Doeren, I will easily take a second stringer from a CFP contender/ hopeful.

OK, I told you so.

Oct 21, 2018, 1:48 PM

Finally, I guess right.

Re: OK, I told you so.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:37 PM

Finally, I guess right.

Man, I'm delighted to be as wrong as I was.

The Tigers clearly had this one circled themselves...it was by a lot the best, most-complete effort of the season. I thought there were times when NC State might get themselves back into it...but as was mentioned above, NC State kept stepping on the rake every time.

Expected a better game plan from Drinkwitz, too, actually. Usually he dials up a good game-plan, this time he really didn't.

Most encouraging sign by a bunch was how in control Lawrence and then Brice looked. Pretty much took whatever they wanted and made NC State pay repeatedly for stacking the box and playing off coverage.

Oct 23, 2018, 6:27 PM

cough cough cough

Replies: 43
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic