Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo or Brent?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Dabo or Brent?

Nov 14, 2019, 9:37 AM

Brent won a Natty at Oklahoma. Both have won two at Clemson, but Dabo has never won one without Brent. Would you like Clemson's chances of winning a Natty better if Dabo left and Brent became head coach, or if Brent left and Dabo stayed?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo or Brent?

Nov 14, 2019, 9:40 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Nov 14, 2019, 9:41 AM

Most think Brent would be a wonderful head coach if he ever decides to go that route.

With that being said, there are no guarantees that Brent would make an elite head coach.

One guarantee is that Dabo and Brent have very different personalities so the general feeling and dynamic of the program would change with Brent in charge.

Brent is the best at what he does, but with Dabo at the top it's easier to keep the train rolling with a fill-in as d coordinator.

I would not want anybody to take either's place in their current roles, but there is still some mystery in the idea of us basically losing 2 coaches if Dabo leaves and Brent takes over as head coach with a new d coordinator.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:43 AM

But given Brent's defensive expertise, I would have to think he would still have a lot of input on that side of the ball.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:46 AM

So does Saban but last year and this year people are talking about d coordinator problems at Bama.

If a head coach is doing his job as a head coach, there is a lot of room for the d coordinator to influence what is happening in a good or bad way.

You are making an assumption that Venables would basically try to do both jobs.

We have seen in the past where that idea hasn't always worked the best.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:57 AM

Perhaps.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo or Brent? ]

But given Brent's defensive expertise, I would have to think he would still have a lot of input on that side of the ball.

Nov 14, 2019, 9:42 AM

I was thinking the other night that BV does his job about as well as anyone I've ever seen. Last year to this year shows that. Similar results but not near the experience on this years D.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Really...this is the stuff to ponder? Lowered...have mercy!

Nov 14, 2019, 9:47 AM

Here's a thought...though... ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Really...this is the stuff to ponder? Lowered...have mercy!

Nov 14, 2019, 9:58 AM

Just curious as to what other folks think. No big deal. I hope both stay for another 15 years.

Lee or Jackson?

Nov 14, 2019, 9:58 AM

Woudn't want to choose.

Both are irreplaceable.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:01 AM

Your question plays right into the hands of all these Gamecock fans who just LOVE to spew that Dabo would NOT be where he is without having excellent assistants. Put another way, they give him -0- credit for the success og the program. While excellent assistants under Dabo are a very true reality, what Gamecock fans never point out is the FACT that every single highly successful coach out there has excellent assistants. You see, highly successful head coaches are not only about recruiting good players, but they're also about recruiting good coaches. Then their also about having the ability to get everyone to work well together. As Dabo has a phenomenal track record to date on all of the above, the answer to your question is a "no-brainer." I would be willing to bet that Brent would tell you the same thing.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:15 AM

I don't give a rats ash what coots think. It was a simple question. Personally, I think both Dabo and Brent are fabulous. I'm not suggesting that either should leave. Hope both stay for a long, long time.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo or Brent? ]

How do they excuse Muschamp? Bad assistants, bad HC, or maybe both? Because something isnt working there

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2019, 10:16 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo or Brent? ]

How do they excuse Muschamp? Bad assistants, bad HC, or maybe both? Because something isnt working there

Nov 14, 2019, 10:21 AM

Dabo is an excellent head coach and does know x and o's, but Dabo also knows the strength of his program right now is to let his coordinators do what they were hired to do and he does an excellent job of "facilitating" without stepping on toes. I remember a game, I think it was FSU when Delvin Cook Broke two long runs on us (maybe the 15 season) and saw dabo walk up to BV and say what are we doing, fix it!

Now If for some reason Dabo ever left, I have to think BV who has worked under dabo and seen what kind of success he has enjoyed with his coaching philosophy, would attempt to mirror that by hiring coordinators and letting them do their job. Just my thoughts on the topic. Hopefully neither ever leave.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks very much for that thoughtful response. I too hope Dabo and Brent are lifers.

Misspelled Dabo and Brent.

Nov 14, 2019, 10:42 AM

Ok carry on.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

exactly! like fred and ginger, george and tammy.............***

Nov 14, 2019, 11:05 AM

Re: exactly! like fred and ginger, george and tammy.............***

Nov 14, 2019, 12:03 PM

Dabo and Brent can sing?

Dabo would be the tougher one to replace.

Nov 14, 2019, 12:12 PM

We would definitely take a hit, especially in crunch time games, if/when Brent leaves but Dabo is the glue. He's a recruiter, innovator, and motivator that you won't find anywhere else. That being said Brent is THE #1 Defensive Coordinator in the entire country. There is not one other I would choose over him and that's not debatable.

Nov 14, 2019, 1:27 PM

If/when BV becomes a head coach, he will be both the DC and head coach, even if he gives the DC title to someone else. This is what Saban did for years at Alabama.

Instead of truly delegating the job of DC to another, BV would create the game plan and have the assistant execute it during the week of practice. Even then, he would spend more of his time with the defense than the offense.

Nov 15, 2019, 1:00 AM

My hope is that they both live out their lives/careers in Clemson, both get their names hung in the stadium and many years down the road are buried at Cemetery Hill above and behind DV.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic