Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo is putting the blame for one of the sacks on ETN but...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Dabo is putting the blame for one of the sacks on ETN but...

Oct 21, 2018, 8:35 PM

on that particular play, NC State only rushed three guys and it was a slide protection that left a running back having to block 1 on 1 verses a DE. Could Travis have done a better job blocking there? Of course. However, don't you have to admit as well that there was a flaw in that particular protection if it puts your running back in that position while your RT just stands there looking around and does nothing on the play?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo is putting the blame for one of the sacks on ETN but...

Oct 21, 2018, 8:40 PM

It was his job to cut the end down but he whiffed...Anchrum slid over to help out Pollard...it was a designed play I’m not mistaken because TL was look for the slant across the middle to Renfrow out the slot but ETN couldn’t get the cut.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

he whiffed pretty bad. needs to get the head across the body

Oct 21, 2018, 8:41 PM

And chop that tree down

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 8:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is putting the blame for one of the sacks on ETN but... ]

Travis’s moves are so good he faked himself out on that pass protection ??

Re-watch the play. Anchrum doesn't help Pollard

Oct 21, 2018, 8:52 PM [ in reply to Re: Dabo is putting the blame for one of the sacks on ETN but... ]

He pretty much doesn't touch anyone.

Re: Re-watch the play. Anchrum doesn't help Pollard

Oct 21, 2018, 9:28 PM

Yeah and I don’t understand it. He doesn’t fear contact when he runs the ball so why not stick somebody in the chest on a rush? It’s his chance to get back at the D a little bit.

Oct 21, 2018, 8:44 PM

Well in all fairness, as I recall, he pretty much completely missed him. So yea, he could have done better. I think even a chip block, gives TL enough time to at least throw it away. He will continue to improve in that part of his game. Most RBs struggle a bit learning pass protection as they aren't asked to do it in HS. We were all spoiled by Galman who could do it all.

Oct 21, 2018, 8:45 PM

Good observation. I wondered about that. ETN vs. that DE looked like David vs. Goliath.

Wayne Gallman would've gone nut to nut with that guy

Oct 21, 2018, 8:45 PM

That's what we need right now.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

so would Adam Choice

Oct 21, 2018, 9:15 PM

He would be my first choice on 3rd downs.

Assuming we're thinking of the same play, ETN completely

Oct 21, 2018, 8:50 PM

whiffed on his block. He saw the blitzer and totally missed him. That was 100% on ETN.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:00 PM

Depends on the box. If there was a LB waiting as a green dog in front of the RT and didn't commit, then the slide might have been the right call. What was the clock when that ply happened?

RBs are equipped to pick up LBs and DBs rushing

Oct 21, 2018, 9:06 PM

To me, any blocking scheme designed for your RB to have to block 1 on 1 verses a D-lineman is just not schematically very good. They will lose that match up more often than not even if are great at blocking. I realize that in some instances it's unavoidable, but it's particularly not ideal if they have to do it against just a 3 man rush and your RT doesn't block anyone.

Re: RBs are equipped to pick up LBs and DBs rushing

Oct 21, 2018, 9:28 PM

I agree. That was my immediate thought in real time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

PS

Oct 21, 2018, 9:31 PM

I wish some of our opponents would use that blocking scheme against Austin Bryant.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:13 PM

Unless the play call was for ETN to stop drop and roll I agree with Dabo.

Here's a video of the play. Go to the 4:50 mark

Oct 21, 2018, 9:23 PM

Don't get me wrong, ETN does a poor job here. I'm just not a fan of this having to be his assignment on this play.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q9RHAvj9r1Y

Oct 21, 2018, 9:27 PM

You're all describing the play I commented on in another thread, where Etienne completely whiffed on a cut block. I criticized him a couple of weeks ago for trying to block the edge rusher straight up because Etienne's not big enough to do that to a big LB or DE coming off the edge. I said then that he needed to learn to cut block and use it on those guys. At least he's now he's learning to cut block, but he just doesn't quite have it figured out. Cut blocking is a matter of timing and being aggressive. He's working on it and will get better, but it does take practice to make that hit on a charging bull. Once he gets a few successful cut blocks in the books, he'll be OK.

He screwed up and whiffed badly but asking a RB to block a DE

Oct 21, 2018, 9:33 PM

is always asking for trouble. A good DE will destroy a RB the majority of the time. I think the only way that really works is on a quick pass where all the back needs to do is slow the DE down a second.

Re: He screwed up and whiffed badly but asking a RB to block a DE

Oct 22, 2018, 7:32 AM

Actually, no. Every player on that team has a job to do & ETN didn’t do his on that play. A shot at the thighs or hips is plenty to get that block. If you get your head across at the hip in that situation you own your block, no matter how much of a mismatch is looks to be. Also, all it takes is slowing down the defender. ETN basically closed his eyes & dove which is what created the whiff. Good thing about it though, it’s a coachable mistake.

Look i said Etienne screwed up and whiffed on his block

Oct 22, 2018, 10:19 PM

But I've also seen many a replay and highlight clip of a RB getting a "good" block on a DE only to get trucked and give up the sack anyway. I don't know what the play call was in that situation because Trevor got sacked so quickly nothing developed, but, like i said in my post above, if you are blocking a DE 1v1 with a RB you better get the ball out very quickly. Just imagine what you would expect to happen if State tried to block one of our DL with a RB. That QB would be under duress in 2-3 seconds.

Back in the old days...

Oct 21, 2018, 9:38 PM

we didn't expect so much out of a player until he's a junior. Most coaches wouldn't start a true freshman QB.

It's not the same in the new era of college football.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:43 PM

Thanks for the replay. Yes, that's the one I thought you were talking about. The D showed 2 red dogs on the LOS, outside of our LT, so the slide protect to that side was a good call (even though one dropped into coverage) given the strong side D (not overloaded). State had a LB over our RT who moved to fill the edge when the DE blitzed. RBs have to make that block..... it's a normal run-of-the-mill play. If we had an H-back or TE on the strong side, he could have helped, but that was Etienne's guy to block.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:52 PM

And to further clarify, the TE was set up fairly far away from the OT, so it would have been difficult for the OT to get to him anyway - but the slide did make it impossible. On the off chance that our OT could have gotten to the DE before the slide, you can chalk it up to a good defensive set that pulled us out of position, but to me, the protection was there with Etienne - he just didn't get it done that time.

You can probably expect to see that same defensive alignment from other teams on passing downs when Etienne is in the game until he proves he can do the job.

Oct 21, 2018, 9:54 PM

ETN completely whiffed. That was his man. He needed to chop him just a bit and slow him..... RBs aren’t asked to block and hold a DE

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Oct 21, 2018, 9:58 PM

Chip not chop

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Where was the pass going even if ETN makes the block?

Oct 21, 2018, 10:18 PM

Looks well covered to right which is where TL is lined up to throw.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where was the pass going even if ETN makes the block?

Oct 21, 2018, 10:23 PM

There were 2 WRs with 1-on-1 coverage on the left side - one shallow, one deep - both possible targets.

thats what I thought, but TL is only looking right. Maybe

Oct 21, 2018, 10:37 PM

Not enough time, but he is lined up to throw to right.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Where was the pass going even if ETN makes the block?

Oct 21, 2018, 11:03 PM [ in reply to Where was the pass going even if ETN makes the block? ]

Well perhaps at least given him a chance to throw it away

it was a terrible attempt to block that corner blitz

Oct 21, 2018, 10:22 PM

I've honestly seen muidget/mite teams make better efforts. The corner made the tackle hence it was ETN's fault.

Re: it was a terrible attempt to block that corner blitz

Oct 21, 2018, 10:27 PM

The DE was the blitzer. Looked like a corner because he was split so far out, but he's the DE.

I still don't understand why the coaches specifically

Oct 21, 2018, 10:28 PM

call out Etienne every time he makes a mistake when they rarely do that type of singling out for other players.

Perhaps they know he responds to that.

Oct 22, 2018, 7:44 AM

Everyone is different. I think we have ample evidence that these coaches know how to get the attention of our players.

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2008_ncaa_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-clemsonpoker489.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even if ETN makes block NCSU got what they wanted that play

Oct 21, 2018, 11:04 PM

They just rushed 3 guys and we had 2 OL (Simpson and Anchrum) just standing there and didn't touch anyone on the play simply because they were on the look out for gap blitzers that never came while we left our RB 1 on 1 to block their DE.

Unless that ball comes out quick, that's a win for the Defense on scheme and match ups alone.

Re: Even if ETN makes block NCSU got what they wanted that play

Oct 22, 2018, 6:37 AM

They just rushed 3 guys and we had 2 OL (Simpson and Anchrum) just standing there and didn't touch anyone on the play simply because they were on the look out for gap blitzers that never came while we left our RB 1 on 1 to block their DE.

Unless that ball comes out quick, that's a win for the Defense on scheme and match ups alone.

Exactly right. The "gap blitzers" they were expecting were LBs or safeties who crash the gaps on delayed blitzes after they read "pass" when they see that the RB is staying home. Those delayed blitzers are sometimes called "green dogs". They faked an overload blitz on the weak side to confuse TL, then single-covered on the weak side and loaded the strong side flat coverage. I suspect they watched a lot of pass pro film and were willing to gamble that their DE could get through Etienne if they could hold coverage.

I'd be willing to bet we'll see that look from FSU and anyone else down the road until we prove that Etienne can make that block.

Re: Even if ETN makes block NCSU got what they wanted that play

Oct 22, 2018, 6:50 AM

I'd also be willing to bet Mr. Etienne will be getting more time in practice this week working on this very thing. He will be fine.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 22, 2018, 6:53 AM

The flaw was ETN

Dabo blames the guy whose fault it is and TNet defends him.

Oct 22, 2018, 7:48 AM

This is so on-brand.

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic