Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo Swinney's Hot Seat.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 49
| visibility 251

Dabo Swinney's Hot Seat.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:00 PM

I know lately, there's been a lot of people calling for Dabo Swinney's head. Everyone also said that he was on a major hot seat coming into the 2011 season. I think that might've changed.

I think it's very impressive that he's convinced some really great coaches to come to Clemson and coach after the sorry season we just had. Also, he led the recruiting this year and what a heck of a class we have coming in. I feel like with all the new coaches and recruits he got us this year, even if he has a not so good season next year, we shouldn't fire him.

You've got to give him time to get used to these new coaches and the recruits need time to learn. I say give him at least one year after that and if he still does bad, then I agree he needs to go.

Although I don't think he'll need the extra year to make something great happen! I think it'll happen this year! I see us possibly winning the Atlantic again this year. Let's keep our heads high.

GO TIGERS!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

Re: Dabo Swinney's Hot Seat.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:10 PM

AGREED. I was at hard on him as I could be this season. But he seems to have straightened out his mistakes and now deserves some time.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:13 PM

If you're going to wish, wish big I guess. But lets don't forget that Fla, St. is a year ahead of us rebuilding, and they also have a good recruiting class coming in to build on last seasons success....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 21, 2011, 10:16 PM

But to tell the truth, they didn't have much success last year regardless of beating South Carolina in they're bowl game.

They were a good team, but if Clemson would have stopped Ej Manuel one time and we would've one that game, we would've won the division and they would've had almost no success at all.

null

..and we have them at Death Valley this year, right?***

Jan 22, 2011, 8:49 AM

No

Jan 21, 2011, 10:15 PM

You guys need to start looking beyond your nose. If our current players are the problem and we need this recruiting class to be successful, the proper argument is that Dabo can't be fairly evaluated for 4 years. 2014 is Dabo's hotseat year.

The "one more year" approach to coaching evaluation is tiresome and predictable. Yes Dabo has bought himself more time, but please be more imaginative than "one more year."

Re: No

Jan 21, 2011, 10:19 PM

Never did I say he should have "one more year" i think he should have at least another year after next. That means at least 2 more years.

null

You are correct

Jan 22, 2011, 9:58 PM

You said that in 2012 "if he still does bad, then [you] agree he needs to go."

This is the part I disagree with. If our current players are the problem, I don't think 2012 should matter. Nor should 2011 or 2013. 2014 is the first year that failure should be punished. Do you agree?

Re: No

Jan 21, 2011, 10:21 PM [ in reply to No ]

Agreed! He needs at least a few years with this class, plus the classes he will bring in next year and beyond...Honestly I expect seven wins next year but 2012 we will contend for the division and 2013 we will contend for the title and beyond...patience grasshoppers

Jan 21, 2011, 10:21 PM

Needs at LEAST 4 more years. You have to give him time to get player that fit his system.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:46 PM

Although I'm not impressed with the results I've seen the last 2 years,
I understand that he took over a program in less than ideal fashion.
(and he had no previous head coaching experience)

Having said that, I'm encouraged that he is showing that he can make the difficult decisions (something I think Bowden didn't do) and the ability to figure out where he needs to make changes and the work ethic to do everything within his control to improve the situation. (both in terms of coaching changes and recruiting)

I think Dabo is a good fit for Clemson and he will be successful if given enough time. I also think it would be helpful if the fan base and administration would give him the support he needs/deserves rather than calling for his firing.

Why is hotseat even a subject?***

Jan 21, 2011, 11:51 PM

He took over a far better program than TB. Where do you folk

Jan 22, 2011, 12:19 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney's Hot Seat. ]

get this nonsense. And why is Clemson hiring a guy that needs experience? That's the #1 reason NOT to hire him!

We are not some mid major. We are a BCS school, a football school, we should hire the BEST we can get, not some position coach talked out of real estate by TB.

FIT is a bunch of nonsense. That's pumper logic. The best fit is the guy that gets the #### job done! period!

Dabo may very well get the job done.***

Jan 22, 2011, 12:25 AM

dumbest excuse in the book. TB & Dabo both run the spread!***

Jan 22, 2011, 12:15 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo Swinney's Hot Seat. ]

Are you being serious, or are you just pretending to be

Jan 22, 2011, 12:18 AM

dumb?

Jan 21, 2011, 10:24 PM

I think you should probably take the "we" out of the firing statement. "we"...T-NET, ain't got a thing to to do with firing anyone!! This whole change in thinking reminds me of somwthing Mark Twain once wrote

"my father was the stupidest SOB in the world when I was fourteen. It's amazing how smart he became when I turned twenty-one".

Jan 21, 2011, 10:25 PM

I tend to do that, thinking of like "we" as the fanbase and the team and all. lol sorry.

null

Jan 21, 2011, 10:30 PM

No problem man. Iwas just kidding with you.

Jan 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

he's a bum, the sooner he's gone the better.

He's going to win 10+ games in 2011.

Jan 22, 2011, 12:41 AM

My statement is just as valid as yours.

No. His is supported by evidence, yours is ludicrous***

Jan 22, 2011, 12:51 AM

I have just as much evidence as he does.***

Jan 22, 2011, 12:58 AM

a losing season supports him. what do you have to show we

Jan 22, 2011, 1:05 AM

will win 10 ne4xt year? if Dabo couldn't win 10+ the past 2 years, which he should have, there is no way he does it this year.

The other season was a top 25 season. That weighs just as

Jan 22, 2011, 1:23 AM

much as a losing season where we had obvious issues. Issues which have been addressed.

My guess is that we will be better in 2011 than we were in 2009. Better and deeper talent, and better coaches.

so if they have been adressed...

Jan 22, 2011, 2:43 AM

and if we do bad this year then he should be gone at the end of season.remember TB used to do the same thing bad season fire some guys hire some new ones buy more time to milk money and we the fans suffer through bad season after bad season.its ACC title or bust imo this year.

Re: He's going to win 10+ games in 2011.

Jan 24, 2011, 11:56 PM [ in reply to He's going to win 10+ games in 2011. ]

In your mind maybe...you're dreaming if you think 10 wins will ever happen at Clemson with Dabo as coach. I don't see the guy ever accomplishing anything more than Bowden did while he was here, and that didn't exactly satisfy the fan base. He'll probably linger around about as long though. The perk of working for an apathetic administration I suppose.

He needs to win more games.***

Jan 21, 2011, 10:52 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Demon Deacon problems? There's an app for that too, and it ain't buggy like that yellowjacket repellant:

So does every coach in the BCS system***

Jan 21, 2011, 11:53 PM

Mainly against teams whos mascots are fowl.***

Jan 22, 2011, 1:28 AM [ in reply to He needs to win more games.*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Jan 21, 2011, 11:01 PM

Amen...............you hit the nail on the head. The negative is mostly chickens jealous that we are able to take unknowns and make them great. The chickens on the other hand, seek retirement homes for former coaches.

Great post........

Re: I Like Coach Swinney but...

Jan 21, 2011, 11:31 PM

Am not sure next year won't be his last here unless something is seen on the field. Now that doesn't necessarily mean winning 10 games but you can tell if things are headed in the right direction or not.

The changes made thus far look promising but people, including (maybe especially) Clemson fans, have a short memory when their expections are not met. The question really is are people expecting to see a 10 win season or will they be satisfied knowing things are headed in the right direction after seeing evidence of that on the field?

I like Coach Swinney and hope he sticks around for a long time. Regardless I will support Clemson and the players/coaches that represent my university until they are no longer there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

TB had things headed in the right direction. They turned

Jan 22, 2011, 12:54 AM

bad under Dabo. No excuse for that pathetic season lat year in the ACC with all the talent we have. A good coaching staff would have easily gone 10-2 or better and been in the ACCCG last year!

3-3 in you 9th season and having the team quit on you is

Jan 22, 2011, 1:01 AM

not moving in the right direction. We were stagnant at best.

You can't really be as dumb as you act.

9-4 beating the coots and a bowl win in TBs 9th season. The

Jan 22, 2011, 1:09 AM

3-3 was his 10th and that was more Spence than TB, but Spence was TB's responsibility, like Napier was Dabo's

Dabo then went 3-3 which any interim coach would have. Interim coaches almost always do well because the players realize how bad things re and pull together.

A young inxeperienced coach should get better in year 2, not much worse, esp in an easy conference with a ton of talent!

I don't understand defending TB. .....

Jan 22, 2011, 8:09 AM [ in reply to TB had things headed in the right direction. They turned ]

He had plenty of time to get the job done and he didn't. To say that TB had things headed in the right direction and they turned bad under DS isn't factual. TB was fired for a reason.

It's too early to be making comparisons between TB and DS.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow. Finally The reason for all the venom...CTB got fired

Jan 22, 2011, 8:35 AM [ in reply to TB had things headed in the right direction. They turned ]

Its almost like the kid who doesn't get their way at the football game so he takes his ball and goes home. In this case you didn't like that Tommy Bowden was fired so you constantly berate everything Clemson.

Hmmm pretty telling.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He went 6-7 n the acc...yes he is on the hot seat......

Jan 22, 2011, 12:03 AM

In case you didnt know it a losing season and back to back losses to the coots is NOT acceptable around here! Carolina maybe but not here!

It is very simple

Jan 22, 2011, 8:39 AM

Be good or be gone. NOW! Not in the future,NOW! You used your mulligan.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ClemsonTiger81 - Were you BORN in 81 or you just that

Jan 22, 2011, 9:14 AM

immature? Your instant need for ego satisfaction doesn't trump what's right for Clemson University and Clemson Nation. Grow up!

Not born in 81 but was around to see 81,82,83,84' thru 89

Jan 22, 2011, 10:51 AM

and know what good football looks like. Dabo put a team on the field this year made up of veterans except at receiver,which it was evident from the first game, were not ready to play. When people complained we were told everything would be alright.
Back to the main point. Look at today's P&C article where we are told to wait to next,next year!
I never said he had to win them all, JUST BE GOOD. Clemson people know what good looks like.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It is very simple

Jan 22, 2011, 9:39 AM [ in reply to It is very simple ]

Take it easy man. Anyone can see that he is putting the pieces together. There are plenty of great coaches who have had a bad season in their first couple of years.

Dabo Swinney's seat will cool when

Jan 22, 2011, 9:42 AM

he starts winning more games and a championship. Yes I agree I like the coaching hires and hopefully they will lead to the wins we want to see, however until he proves it on the field it is naive to assume a transformation has occurred.

Go 6-6 and lose to Carolina again, I could see him

Jan 22, 2011, 9:58 AM

getting fired.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-jospehg.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's still on the hot seat after this season

Jan 22, 2011, 12:09 PM

this slight of hand after the season doesn't change the fact that we just had our first losing season in a long time...and lost to SC in back to back games for the first time in my life...he's got to win 7 games and beat SC to be back in 2011.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good spin try. But Sweeney's seat is smoking. He could be

Jan 22, 2011, 12:15 PM

back with RE/MAX realty after the 2011 season.

Not even a luke warm seat. Has for sure to the end of 2012*

Jan 23, 2011, 9:40 AM

Guy is a lock until the end of 2012 and I bet he gets an extension after that season as well as we will do in 2012.

Jan 23, 2011, 9:55 AM

"It isnt the mistake you make, it is how you recover" and we cant ask for any better.
Go Tigers

why don't we wait and see

Jan 23, 2011, 12:05 PM

I have read this book before and although I like the new coaches, let's not forget that Dabo hired the buffoons he just fired. And I, for one, would like to see some results on the field. NTM, we really don't know who our recruits are at this time.

Re: why don't we wait and see

Jan 23, 2011, 12:37 PM

I didn't read all of the responses but I read a lot of them.

No one brought up the real problem. Big time college football relies on Money. Money is the Mother's milk of cfb and when it dries up (see Ken Hatfield fired with a 8-3 record ,beating Carolina,...Peach Bowl beat UK) bye-bye.Check the IPTAY funds as well as the W-L record.

As a disclosure I am a Carolina grad. Hate it when people on my board try to act like they're errrr....all in(???) and they're not .

Do not come here very much(hardly at all) and do not have time to lurk.

Replies: 49
| visibility 251
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic