Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Correct me if I’m wrong
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 2,090

Correct me if I’m wrong

Dec 16, 2018, 6:48 PM

And I very well could be because my aging brain does fail me at times. Years ago there was this kid named Rice who lived in South Carolina and was quite a high school player. Clemson coach Danny Ford was very serious about getting this kid in orange and had a good shot until .... the admissions office wouldn’t approve of him. He ended up going to Notre Dame and became quite a good football player .... and honor student! I’m certain that I read this somewhere but it’s been years ago. Tell me what you I know tnetters

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tony Rice from Woodruff High School

Dec 16, 2018, 6:52 PM

Pretty sure he got thrown in as the starting the QB at Notre Dame after the first stringer was injured and had one of those games where he made every mistake possible along AND made every amazing play he could.

I believe his eligibility issues were from having too low of a SAT score. I believe he had like a 680 and you needed a 700 to be eligible.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my old memory . . .

Dec 16, 2018, 6:59 PM

Has Tony as the "NO"tre Dame QB for Lou Holtz when they won the NC in 1988.

I don't think Tony played much in the NFL but spent time in the Canadian FB League.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, he had Raghib Ismail and Ricky Watters on that team as

Dec 16, 2018, 7:04 PM

well. He was also a part of the Catholics vs Convicts game. Pretty sure he was a part of the World League of American Football after college.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yeah, he had Raghib Ismail and Ricky Watters on that team as

Dec 16, 2018, 9:29 PM

I think Raghib Ismail was known as "Rocket" Ismail, and if he got behind the D, nobody could catch that guy. Fun to watch for sure.

Re: my old memory . . .

Dec 16, 2018, 7:05 PM [ in reply to my old memory . . . ]

He did win the NC at Notre Dame and finished in the top five for Heisman as I recall. Im pretty sure he was never drafted. I vaguely recall coach Ford was very irate that Rice was denied admission to Clemson and was a successful student at ND. This is about the time that coach Ford was beginning to have ‘problems’ with the higher ups at Clemson. I thought some of you “non youngsters” might recall this.

Wasn’t it Tony Rice from Woodruff? Snaggle puss

Dec 16, 2018, 6:53 PM

Was the Neutered Dame coach

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Met Tony at a real USC@ND game tailgate five or six years ago

Dec 16, 2018, 7:10 PM

Maybe even longer ago. Spoke well of his recruitment by Ford and spoke highly Clemson. It worked out well for him.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yep Tony Rice at Woodruff, right down the road.

Dec 16, 2018, 7:43 PM

We ran the option at the time...he was an option QB in our backyard. Bummer. Won a NC at ND and given our teams in the late 80's, could have easily done so here as well.

Re: Yep Tony Rice at Woodruff, right down the road.

Dec 16, 2018, 9:48 PM

He lived really close to Clemson in Woodruff which is in the lower part of Spartanburg, S.C.. The head coach of Woodruff was Willie Varner he had the most wins in S.C. at the time with many state championships and also led the nation in wins for a while.

Replies: 9
| visibility 2,090
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic