Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Concusions
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Concusions

Dec 23, 2015, 9:55 PM

On E TV a program is running about brain damage caused by multiple impacts to the head.A movie is being released about the Doctor who discovered the problem.The NFL has been hit for a couple billion in legal fees and injury pay outs so far and as they say fertilizer settles to the bottom.Schools at all levels will be effected.As a person who sees a opportunity in a problem I believe Clemson can step forward and prophet in multiple ways.In the 1960s our Christmas presents included a Ridel Football uniform with a jersey shoulder pads and a Helmet from your favorite pro team.The helmets were a little large to accomodate a wide variety of kids heads and the foam padding was a softer open cell foam.If you have warn a modern helmet you will know the padding is way to firm closed cell foam,looks better and cleans better.Clemson needs to engineer a better padding that is thicker open cell and replaceable(rather than cleaning)The helmet may have to be a bit wider and taller with a snap in neck to shoulder support that pivots but the engineering is pretty basic.Clemson can take the lead in this field and draw national positive attention while the rest of collegiate nation is fending off the knee jerk reaction that is coming down the pike.Im thinking a couple sharp students needing grants and a bunch of hours with players testing models should do the trick.If you want to watch soccer instead of American Football your in good shape cause that is where we are heading.Clemson attributed with saving the all American sport as we Know it,Sounds Good!Go Tigers,Happy Holidays...Give it a think.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Have they done a study on how many usc jr fans have...

Dec 23, 2015, 11:42 PM

suffered concussions while beating their heads against a wall this season?
Beat OKie and you chalk up a few more of those self-inflicted wounds.
Go Tigers!!

Re: Concusions

Dec 24, 2015, 12:33 AM

You can get a concussion even with great padding. If you are slammed down on the turf and your head hits the ground your brain will still move violently inside your skull. The crashing of your brain inside your head causes damage.

I have learned a great deal about concussions because my youngest son has had three since October 2014. He has been out of wrestling since 11/23 due to a concussion. The recovery has been slow. The real risk of a concussion is sustaining another one while still recovering from another. The damage can be irreversible and severe.

That being said, I do think it would be great if a new helmet was created.

What about the helmets they wear in spring and fall practice

Dec 24, 2015, 8:36 AM

to prevent head injuries. Not cool looking,
but functional. Begs several questions:

1. Who invented them and who makes them?
2. Do other schools use them?
3. Could they be used in games?
4. Are they effective in preventing injuries?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Concusions

Dec 24, 2015, 10:25 AM

Helmets have to move in the direction that cars did - collapsible impact crush zones. Helmets were designed to prevent cerebral hemorrhage and are effective in that aim, but the impact of the brain into the skull can't be prevented without absorbing and redirecting the impact energy. We need softer helmets. Memory foam on the outside or something similar. Another problem is that players will just hit harder with more protection, and new injury modes will present.

That said, the risk of injury and long term health effects are part of what makes the sport epic. Life has choices and tradeoffs when it comes to health, and choosing football as a career and activity has a lot of them.

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic