Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Cole is the likely starter at QB in 2014
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 26
| visibility 1

Cole is the likely starter at QB in 2014

Jan 11, 2014, 7:47 PM

And he deserves it so far, 80% completion rate and 5-0 TD-int ratio in 2013. Cool as a cucumber, poised, solid team guy, great attitude, has waited patiently for 4 years and always delivered when called upon. Kelly will push him, which is good, but Cole is the guyot take care of the ball, run the offense and lead the team in 2014 IMHO, I believe it shakes out as such. Kelly will see time, and help in situations, but Cole is the better QB right now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re:

Jan 11, 2014, 7:53 PM

Doesn't matter who the better QB right now is.

Based on the fact that Stoudt has looked fantastic when

Jan 11, 2014, 8:11 PM

he had the opportunity, and the fact that he's been in the system so long and understands it better than anybody else, he has to be the overwhelming favorite to be the starter. I'm not saying that it won't be Kelly at some point (I think he gets significant PT at the very least), but to predict him as the starter just because he is a better runner is nothing more than short-sighted wishful thinking at this point.

How good is Kelly's arm? Can he make all the throws? Can he put touch on the short throws? What kind of deep ball does he throw? Does he make the right reads? Does he protect the ball and make good decisions? Does he get rattled? While we haven't seen enough of either QB to know the answers to all of those, we can come a lot closer to answering them about Stoudt than Kelly, and almost everything we know about Stoudt is very good.

I'd feel very good with Stoudt as our QB. If Kelly can come in and beat him out, then so much the better. As good as Watson may be, I'll be surprised if he does not redshirt.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Dabo Swinney

Jan 12, 2014, 5:09 PM

Not claiming to have any insight, just an opinion -like everyone else.
BUT!!!!!
Going into Spring, all 3 Qbs should be equal. Stoudt does have the most knowledge of the offense,true. But arm, he does not. And reads going to 2nd and 3rd options are at a minimal as well.-IMHO***
Now, I do believe Cole will be given every chance to earn the starting spot. But if our offense consistently struggles with him at the helm. The other 2 will probably be given a stronger look.

Now, with that said...Talent wise, Watson is the best option. But like most, no one really knows what to expect with him yet (on the college level). But if hes anything close to what we feel he could be. Watson/Kelly make the most sense...j/s

I think Stoudt's arm is better than Kelly's right now

Jan 12, 2014, 6:20 PM

More accurate, throws a great ball. Kelly is more of a runner that is a servicable passer.

Re: I think Stoudt's arm is better than Kelly's right now

Jan 12, 2014, 6:28 PM

Have to agree. Stout's accuracy was better than Tajh.

How many snaps has Cole had? Against which defenses?

Jan 11, 2014, 7:58 PM

I don't disagree that Stoudt is a very talented QB. But it is a stretch to declare him to be better just yet than Kelly or Watson. And "earning" it is something you do every game, every snap. Not just by hanging back as a very good backup.

He was 2nd team QB. What more proof do you need ?

Jan 11, 2014, 8:03 PM

Watson will not be starting unless Stoudt and Kelly are injured. They will redshirt Watson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But most of his stats came from an already demolished sc

Jan 11, 2014, 7:59 PM

state team. Don't give me wrong I think cole stoudt is a good QB but I don't think he has the tools to be elite like chad kelly or more so deshaun watson. Cole plays good when he has to come in but ive also seen him play really bad. With our offense the qb has to be a threat running the ball and cole doesn't have that. Clemson does not and cannot succeed with just a game managing type quarterback. Just look at alabama, loaded everywhere but having an stationary game manager type qb has hurt them and it's even more obvious at the end of this season. I think cole stays at 2nd string in any scenario whether it's behind chad kelly or deshaun watson. I would like to say otherwise but I really don't think cold stoudt gives us the best option. It takes so much firepower out of an offense that thrives off of firepower.

Re: But most of his stats came from an already demolished sc

Jan 11, 2014, 8:11 PM

This post begs for the question - how much have you seen of Kelly or Watson versus any college competition?

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

EXACTLY! All of the predictions that Kelly will start are

Jan 11, 2014, 8:16 PM

nothing more than wishful thinking at this point, the product of orange-colored imaginations in overdrive. Double that for Watson.

Based on what we have actually seen, rather than imagined, Stoudt IS the favorite.

Now, if Kelly, or even Watson (doubt it) can come in and beat out Stoudt . . . GREAT!

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Yes, I have. While cole plays most of the leftover time. The

Jan 12, 2014, 3:24 PM [ in reply to Re: But most of his stats came from an already demolished sc ]

short amount of time chad gets in there's an explosive play. Just look at the virginia game. I know the stats sound good I know cold is a great player and representative of our university and I wish this wasn't his last year but cole stoudt, to me, is an average quarterback trying to run a complex elite offense. I know people say well he can run a little, but we both know a little is not good enough because the defense will know that the threat of the quarterback taking off when everyone is covered is pretty much nonexistent.

While I agree, I'm gonna play some devil's advocate here and

Jan 12, 2014, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Re: But most of his stats came from an already demolished sc ]

suggest that we indeed haven't seen Kelly or Watson against any college level competition. But that just leaves more questions rather than providing any answers.

I'm hoping they'll be dual QBs and maybe even wreck havoc with opposing Ds by having Stoudt use more design runs and Chad stay in the pocket and Pass...both bring something unique to the table.

I do believe Watson should RS no doubt...

Came in vs BC and held his own when Tajh got hurt***

Jan 11, 2014, 8:32 PM [ in reply to But most of his stats came from an already demolished sc ]

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People forget this way too quickly.***

Jan 12, 2014, 6:20 PM

Wow you coots are really worried about DeShaun Watson aren't

Jan 12, 2014, 3:26 PM

you! Coming on here with two back to back posts trying to turn him elsewhere LOL too ez

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

chad kelly

Jan 12, 2014, 4:27 PM

Chad was pretty much the back up 9 2014 prior to the injury and I'm pretty certain that Watson or Kelly will lead clemson next yr. No offense to cole

If there is not much difference in the 3, Dabo will start

Jan 12, 2014, 5:23 PM

the senior. That is the way he works.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Chad Morris Call - Will be Interesting to Watch

Jan 12, 2014, 5:23 PM

My guess is Stoudt will start Game 1 with Chad playing some snaps. Watson will red shirt.

Dabo will have to be careful. Stoudt has one year of eligibility. If Swag sits on bench then pouts and transfers and Watson redshirts and transfers, we would have no QB for 2015. Big decision for coaches. Could be a platoon for a few games.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Message removed by Author

Jan 12, 2014, 5:27 PM

Message removed by Author

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Just re-read your post

Jan 12, 2014, 6:18 PM

I don't agree with all of it. Yes, it can get tricky, but I don't think we have BOTH QBs transferring.

--Henry David Thoreau

Why would Kelly AND Watson transfer?

Jan 12, 2014, 6:21 PM [ in reply to Chad Morris Call - Will be Interesting to Watch ]

If Kelly transfers, Watson pretty much starts the year after by default.

Re: I smell McNuggets***

Jan 12, 2014, 5:28 PM

cole

Jan 12, 2014, 5:45 PM

People getting hyped up over cole stoudt playing good against sc state and citadel. Cole is good but kelly is better and set up for our system. If all three are equal at the end of camp then dabo isn't going to go with cole cause he's a senoir. If they are equal that's saying that a true freshman is as good as your senior. If that the case then Watson or Swag starts. If they are equal you might as well get Watsons transition yr out the way considering he has 3 more yrs to dominate. For cole to start he's going to have to be hands down the best qb they have. Otherwise swag or watson are starting going into uga.

Re: Dabo going with a senior

Jan 12, 2014, 5:54 PM

I am basing this on what one of Dabo's assistants said about him, not my own opinion.

--Henry David Thoreau

Re: Cole is the likely starter at QB in 2014

Jan 12, 2014, 6:14 PM

I totally agree with everything you said and yes Kelly will push him which will make him even better. We will employ some form of a dual QB system which may not be a bad thing

Agree 110%..Sr. Cole to start & Kelley to play/sub a lot ***

Jan 12, 2014, 7:13 PM

GoTiGS!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 26
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic