Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Clemson's Offense Falls Flat Against Deacons
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 38
| visibility 1

Oct 9, 2008, 11:29 PM

Wake Forest pulls out a 12-7 win against a Clemson team that manages just one effective drive on offense. Full Story »

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

you kiddin***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:30 PM

flat is being generous

Oct 9, 2008, 11:31 PM

it was worse than that

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for the update!!! We had no clue!!!!***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:32 PM

"Lou Holtz for Pwesident"

Wow i did not know that...just thought we did not show up***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:32 PM

So do we need to "Jump Ship" now or do we need to "Move On"?***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:34 PM

Bowden said we tried everything we knew to. Straight from

Oct 9, 2008, 11:38 PM

the horse's mouth, folks. Pathetic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

More like Offense digs grave***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:41 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

Re: More like Offense digs grave***

Oct 9, 2008, 11:45 PM

Next time we need to try more "face punts" :)

this says it all

Oct 9, 2008, 11:47 PM

"We tried everything we had - we tried reverses, face punts, running wide, running up the middle," said Clemson coach Tommy Bowden, who saw his team fall to 3-3. "Everything we had we sure tried."

Pitiful Summation!***

Oct 10, 2008, 7:55 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Tried everything.????? Everything except ...

Oct 9, 2008, 11:44 PM

a Parade All American QB on the freakin' bench!!!! Give me a break!!!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A - freakin' - MEN!!!!!***

Oct 10, 2008, 12:02 AM

Wake tried their very best to give us that game

Oct 10, 2008, 12:08 AM

and we just refused to take it. SAD. We are becoming a national joke and it is obvious the people who have the authority to FIRE BOWDEN do not care.

So blame this one on the offensive line...

Oct 10, 2008, 12:23 AM

again?? How about the O-line coach? Why did Clemson ever get to this dire situation on the O-line to begin with? What happened to recruiting there? Somebody is responsible for this.

Downfield passing worked but Spence called runs & screens.

Oct 10, 2008, 12:44 AM

I should watch the game again before saying this, but it seemed like:
1) Wake loaded the line at the beginning of the game and so Spence wasted several series running (mostly between the tackles) instead of passing.
2) The only success we had was passing downfield-- especially on the 2-minute drill at the end of the first half. But Spence kept calling running plays.
3) After throwing downfield several times, Davis was finally able to run up the middle. (As usual against a good run-stuffing team, we needed to pass in order to set up the run.)
4) The pass protection wasn't that bad (and a more mobile QB would have made it look better).
5) Harper was inaccurate and underthrew or overthrew several passes, resulting in incompletions.
6) Harper's interception was inexcusable.
7) Harper checked down too early, including missing a TD pass to a wide-open, all-alone Kelly.
8) Harper's pocket presence and scrambling were weak.
9) Korn should have been the QB.
10) We should have hired Grobe instead of giving Bowden a contract extension.

Yes!***

Oct 10, 2008, 1:23 AM

Re: Downfield passing worked but Spence called runs & screens.

Oct 10, 2008, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Downfield passing worked but Spence called runs & screens. ]

I think we tried everything except player position changes.!! Did anyone notice that the only pass to Xavier dye was a 19 yard gain... I want to see Jone and Xavier more often. They are both very athletic and fast and have look excelent thus far this season. Also, I think Cullen and the coaching staff are lovers..... That is the only reasonable thing that could be going on not to put korn in to at least get a few reps....

On Cullen.... 15-35 and then the int. For the math majors, that is around 42%. The O-line should not be blamed for this one either. They created plenty of room for Harper to step up in the pocket and move around. There were also countless times that he had 4+ seconds to make a decision. His performance was AWEFUL! There were many times in that game that korn could have run the ball for 15+ yards and jacked someone up in the process, and on top of that his completion % and throwing form is ten times better. I hope Bowden and Co. will now give Korn some reps during practice with the first team, as well as letting Jamie Harper DO HIS JOB on short down situations as the full back. James is bigger than spiller, but by no means should ever be used as a full back!!!! WHY ARE WE SOOO AFRAID TO BENCH OUR SENIORS? If you havn't listend to the TigerNetTalk #55 yet, I suggest you do so. He is absolutely correct!

If TB is honorable, he will do the right thing and resign.***

Oct 10, 2008, 1:01 AM

Re: Clemson's Offense Falls Flat Against Deacons

Oct 10, 2008, 1:07 AM

If Tommy tried everything, then we would have won. Well, Corn didn't play, so did we really try everything??? My God he is an f'n baby with no balls at all. Even the TV crew saw the botched fake, heck a blind man saw it. Lets just face it Tommy, you have run out of excuses this time, goodbye, and take Spence with you. We are now most assured to be the laughing stock of the ACC. I hope Barker is proud. Come on Terry Don show your muster and get rid of this clown and his side kick. Well Tiger faithful at least there is basketball season. See what a coaching change does for a program.........points to ponder. Tommy didn't solidify his job this time.

Oct 10, 2008, 7:28 AM

I know this is one of those 'if it worked everyone would be happy' moments but, what kind of faith do you have in an offense when you call a fake punt to gain a half yard for a first down instead of giving it to an elite back? Harper looked like a back-up quarterback that was suddenly thrown into a game instead of a seasoned QB. IMHO I think most of the sacks were due to him holding the ball too long. I think it's time to let Korn get his experience in so next year he can be the seasoned QB. The offensive line was horrible. Navy ran all over this team and we couldn't move the ball on the ground at all.

Bowden, Spense, Good bye and take TDP with you.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The day a stubborn idiot became a genius

Oct 10, 2008, 7:46 AM

In the early 70’s Notre Dame came to Tigertown and the Tigers had the blue chippers of Notre Dame down 17-7 (+-) late in the 4th quarter when Dan Devine, that stubborn, egotistical, idiot of a coach made the decision of his career. With the game lost unless something changed the momentum and the attitude of his offense, he decided to insert his freshman QB that didn’t show much in practice, wasn’t all that big, wasn’t all that fast, but could roll out and throw the ball downfield, something they needed LIKE NOW!
I’m sure you know the rest of the story: Joe Montana rallied ND to 2 touchdowns with less than 5 minutes to go and turned Devine from an idiot to a genius. I was there!
It really doesn’t take a genius to try something different when your objectives are not being met otherwise…..unless they are????

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That was everything we had?

Oct 10, 2008, 9:03 AM

I'm speechless. TB, RS & TDP (as well as Barker) should all be fired immediately. Let VK run the show till the end of the year. At least the defense is playing ok.

And when Clemson scored, it was 7-3 not 7-6. It became 7-6 after the interception.

And all of you want to sit Harper. I hope you get your way. Harper is a good QB but it might just be time to try something different (oh wait, we sure tried everything already). While we are at it, sit JD and CJ too. We have a parade all-american freshman sitting on the sideline named Harper. Let's see if he can run. Thunda n Lightin aren't getting the job done.

Have you watched CJ this season?

Oct 10, 2008, 10:06 AM

JD isn't getting yards because of the O-line. CJs getting them cus he's faster and can make people miss.

TigerXJ
Clemson University Class of 2007
UNC-CH SOM Class of 2011
Life's Journey is not to arrive at the Grave Safely in a Well Preserved Body. But Rather to Launch Airborne, Land Hard, Slide in Sideways, Totally Worn Out and Thrashed, Screaming "Holy Shit What a Ride!!!"

Re: Have you watched CJ this season?

Oct 10, 2008, 12:27 PM

So the O-line has no impact on how CH plays or our passing game? Did you see how much Harper was knocked around last night with a simple 4 man rush? I recall one particular sack where the Wake DT went through a double team!!! Or do you just use that excuse when it supports your arguement. My point is that if the Korn bandwagon wants to replace a QB whose numbers are not that bad considering the awful play calling and horrible o-line play then we should also look at replacing our RB's who are not putting up great numbers either. Speaking of numbers.

CJ has 57 touches (running & receiving, no kick returns) for 425 yards and 6 TD's. That is 7.4 yard per touch.

JD has 77 touches for 439 yards and 5 TD's. That is 5.7 yard per touch.

CJ is averaging 6.5 yds per carry and JD is averaging 5.5 yards per carry. These numbers are not bad but they are inflated because they padded them against SC State and the Citadel.

Harper is 99 for 161 with 4 TD's and 6 INT's. That is a 62 % completion percentage. Which is inflated b/c of the number of screens and short passes we through. This is supported by the 7 yard per completion stat.

Korn is 14 for 18 with 1 TD. That is 78 %. This is inflated too b/c of the short passes and screen calls as evident by the 8.7 yards per completion stat. But it is also inflated b/c he sees time against a tired first string or a second string defense.

The bottom line is our O-Line is god awful. Combine that with even worse play calling and you have a stagnet offense. We also have a lack of toughnes; which is a reflection of our coach(es). I would rather let Harper finish out his Clemson career and not throw Korn to the wolves and be disappointed that he does not live up to expectations. Let him start with a clean slate next year. He will have three full years to live up to his hype. Which I hope he does. Our problems this year are not with our skill players, it is with our O-line and awful coaching job.

O-line gave Harper time. Skinner evaded the pass rush.

Oct 10, 2008, 1:35 PM

Clemson's O-line isn't great, but it's not that bad either. Like all smart teams who want to beat Rob Spence, Wake stacked the box to stop the run (often using FIVE down lineman). So of course the inside running game isn't didn't work. That's why Rob Spence should have gone with medium and long passes FROM THE FIRST SERIES. It was obvious from the first play. But Spence wasted the first few series trying to run up the middle.

Sure Wake had at least one good sack. Big deal, so did Clemson. But Clemson's O-line also gave Harper plenty of time to pass most of the time. But Harper was off target on almost every throw, and he checked down too early because he failed to see open receivers downfield.

Riley Skinner was pressured all night. But Skinner evaded the pass rush and gained positive yards from a crumbing pocket all night. Harper didn't. If Clemson's O-line is really that bad, then a faster, more mobile, scrambling, dual-threat QB like Korn is the perfect solution.

You think throwing Korn into the fire would be bad for Korn? Korn disagrees. He says that he wants to start.

You'd rather throw him into the fire next year when an ACC title is on the line, rather than seasoning him now, when there's really not much pressure? You must be one of Cullen's relatives.

Re: O-line gave Harper time. Skinner evaded the pass rush.

Oct 10, 2008, 2:54 PM

Did you think Korn would say he doesn't want to start/play? I'm not completely against playing Korn. I just realize the issue(s) with Clemson are not the QB, they are the coaching staff; specifcally TB & RS.

Moot. Bowden just announced Korn will start against GT.***

Oct 10, 2008, 3:51 PM

Oct 10, 2008, 9:09 AM

FIRE BOWDEN TODAY!

Oct 10, 2008, 9:52 AM

Second week in a row we have heard bowden say," the defense played good enough to win. " Well then, maybe we need to make some changes ! ie: personel , ie: QB

Oct 10, 2008, 11:01 AM

YA THINK??

Question, How will we finish? Please respond if you wish.

Oct 10, 2008, 12:36 PM

Well, I hope all the sunshine pumpers realize that Bowden and Spence need to go now. Not only is the ACC out of the question now, we really need to think about maybe sitting at home rather than attending a bowl game. PATHETIC. We are 1-3 VS. BCS teams. Take a Gander at the rest of the season.

Ga Tech 4-1, 3-1 vs. BCS Only loss to Ranked VaTech.20-17

@FSU 4-1, 3-1 vs. BCS Only loss to Ranked Wake 12-3

DUKE 3-2, 2-2 vs. BCS Losses to NW(5-0) and GaTech(4-1)

@Virginia 2-3, 1-3 vs. BCS Losses to USC, UCONN, DUKE. Beat Maryland 31-0.

SoCar. 4-2, 2-2 vs. BCS Only Close losses to Vandy(5-0) and UGA(4-1) Both possibly top 10 teams.

We could be in for a bumpy schedule and I just wanted to point out that all of the teams ahead on our schedule have for the most part losses to quality opponents if you look at W-L, scores, and rankings.

Soooo..... After looking at how we have played this year, only beating a terrible NcSt. and 2 non-bcs schools.

What Will out final Record be and Will we go to a bowl game? (I can't believe I just asked that question. Talks of NCG to, will we go to a bowl game). Predictions welcome. Im kinda wondering what other people are thinking.

Left out BC......

Oct 10, 2008, 12:40 PM

Sorry, I left out....

@BC 4-1, Only loss to GaTech(4-1) 19-16 And mind you that since BC joined the ACC we have not beaten them.

1-5 with Harper & Spence. 7-0 with Korn & Swinney.***

Oct 10, 2008, 1:10 PM [ in reply to Question, How will we finish? Please respond if you wish. ]

Re: 1-5 with Harper & Spence. 7-0 with Korn & Swinney.***

Oct 10, 2008, 1:24 PM

Dream on! Korn or Harper will finish 3-3 as long as Bowden and Spence are still coaching. Wins over Duke, VA, FSU. Papa Bear will let his boy win in an attempt to save his job. Just like he has done in the past. Not sure how we will do in a Bowl, if we get selected. Which we probably will because our fans travel so well.

We win out, 6-0, go to the Peach Bowl and get blown out by

Oct 10, 2008, 1:58 PM [ in reply to Question, How will we finish? Please respond if you wish. ]

Kentucky. Bowden saves his job and gets an additional 4 year extension with an $8 million buyout. Obviously, I'm only joking here, but in all seriousness, I would be surprised if we won 2 more games unless some serious changes are made NOW with our coaching staff including, but not limited to: firing TB & RS.

Good news: Bowden announced Korn will start. Bad news:

Oct 10, 2008, 3:55 PM

Bowden made the decision in consulation with Rob Spence, so it seems that Rob Spence will still be in charge of the offense. PLEASE remove Spence from play calling. Korn will do better than Harper. But he can only do so much if Spence calls the plays. Does Bowden really not see how bad Rob Spence's play calling has been?

Re: Good news: Bowden announced Korn will start. Bad news:

Oct 11, 2008, 5:41 PM

I like how you already setup your excuse for Korn if we get beat by GT and he doesn't put up spectacular numbers.

But as to your comment on another thread in this message board, the point is moot now that Bowden made the change. But how he went about it, by announcing it at Press Conference and not giving Harper the respect of hearing it first from his coach is classless.

And to your last message post, I have been with you all along that Bowden is not the coach that will take this program to a championship. Sure he has brought national attention to the program (thanks largely to his name), but he just isn't a big time coach. He shows it year in and year out. 10 Years and no conference title.

Where are those who called me Coot & idiot for dissing TB?

Oct 10, 2008, 5:13 PM

For years I've been posting that Bowden is mediocre, Spence is incompetent, and that we should get a new coach. So many people called me an "idiot" and a "coot". They made all kinds of excuses and provided all kinds of reasons why I was wrong. We've been one play away. One injury away. The player didn't make the plays. We've never been picked to win the ACC, etc.

Where are those people now? Anybody want to man up and apologize or admit that they were wrong?

Replies: 38
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic