Topic: Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade
Replies: 15   Last Post: Mar 25, 2019 10:51 PM by: jstone D329
[ Tiger Boards - Basketball ]
Start New Topic
Replies: 15  

Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 4:39 PM

for our basketball program in 2016. “Coaches were heavily involved in the design of this project." Evidently, the coaching staff got what they wanted. That number is not included in the annual expenses of the basketball program.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2016/10/24/Facilities/Clemson-practice-facility.aspx

https://www.forbes.com/sites/kristidosh/2017/02/28/take-a-tour-of-clemsons-athletics-facilities/#24dbd2603cec

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: Clemson completed a $63.5 Million dollar Facilities upgrade

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 4:43 PM

the fans need to step up. the fans are obviously the problem.

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg

Photobucket is holding my sig pic hostage. Screw them.

We've spent more on our basketball program than any ACC team

[2]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 4:53 PM

over the last 3 years. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

After seeing that unreal $63 Mil facility inside & outside I’m more upset with low wins!

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:05 PM

Geez..what more does basketball need except a coach who can win, win, win the close ones..and of course more talented players.

Like Brad a lot & our fine players BUT..!

2019 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg

To All CLEMSON TiGERS..Sending you Bright Light from the Carolina Coast and hoping you get to witness a huge Orange sunset tonight. Go Tigers!

[2]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:05 PM

Let’s face the facts. Clemson is a football school. Not a large amount of basketball fans live within an hours drive. Think about the distance football fans drive to Death Valley.. It’s tough to drive 2 or 3 hours each way to a basketball game especially on week nights.

I love Clemson. I want success in every organization under the Clemson umbrella. I hope the program will change for the better but I don’t see a simple solution.

That's why you have to put a good product on the floor

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:15 PM

to get non grads who live within driving distance to become fans and feel the trip is worthwhile in addition to getting the grads to more consistently make the trek.

We have the facilities. We have the money to spend on the level of Virginia and Virginia Tech. We need a coach to bring it all together!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

What comes1st, the chicken or the egg ....

[2]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:29 PM

Historical data suggests, a good exciting basketball product will draw fans.

Simply put, a team with a few "dynamic" players that wins 10 to 12 ACC games and 20-24 games overall... and Littlejohn will be sold out and rocking.

Regarding recruiting, Clemson itself nor the facilities Clemson are the issue ... creating excitement and selling the program are lacking.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 10:51 PM

TWOPAWS said:

Let’s face the facts. Clemson is a football school. Not a large amount of basketball fans live within an hours drive. Think about the distance football fans drive to Death Valley.. It’s tough to drive 2 or 3 hours each way to a basketball game especially on week nights.

I love Clemson. I want success in every organization under the Clemson umbrella. I hope the program will change for the better but I don’t see a simple solution.

Except there was a basketball game against a top 20 ACC team immediately after the Natty celebration where 50k Clemson fans were sitting 200 yards from LJ yet the game was not a sellout

you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:14 PM

2019 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg

Re: you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

[2]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:29 PM

I believe Brownell is a good coach. He needs a great recruiting year to get us over the hump. We were close this year, but our "HUMP" recruit jilted us for Duke.

Re: you must have mis-read this.. we don't spend on BKB***

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 5:38 PM

If we were lucky we could get us a Petrino and the Tigers would become a front page team again ..... for ALL the wrong reasons.

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 6:53 PM

UVA thinks our 63 million renovation is "cute".

They did one a few years back for 130 million (or 170mil in current dollars). Folks complaining on how much we are spending for the wins normally overlook that out basketball spending is not only less, but far less.

If you want to bother about how a program is really built
https://www.dailyprogress.com/cavalierinsider/years-after-opening-john-paul-jones-arena-has-become-a/article_c8769798-b5b6-11e6-b85d-87ab10bc75d0.html

Not exactly what you call a great

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 6:58 PM

return on investment.

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 7:47 PM

We should have used that cash like the other ACC schools and bought players and their parents.

18 year old kids are stupid so you can hand them a sack full of singles and they think they are rich. 63.5 million would have bought a lot of stupid, yet quality athletic talent.

2019 white level member

Yes, the coaches were heavily involved.

[1]
Posted: Mar 25, 2019 7:51 PM

They had to be, because the money to fund it wasn't going to be provided unless they raised it themselves.

Brad was promised a new arena, so he spent years meeting with donors and raising the necessary funds. Once enough was raised, and the plans approved, the plans were subsequently changed from a new construction to a renovation. The budget was cut. Pretty crappy if you ask me.

So no, they didn't get what they wanted, but when it comes to coaching basketball at Clemson, you take whatever you can get from the administration.

P.S. $63.5 million isn't that much compared to what other schools are spending. Virginia spent the equivalent of $170 million in today's dollars when they built John Paul Jones arena in 2005. Texas just announced plans to spend $300 million on their new arena.

2019 white level member

FSU spent 10 million upgrading the leon county civic center***

Posted: Mar 25, 2019 10:45 PM

2019 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg

Replies: 15  

TIGER TICKETS

FB GAME: Season Tickets
FOR SALE: 4 tickets for sale on the 50 yard line. Row AA, Seats 1, 3, 5, 7. Great view of the field and the be...

Buy or Sell CU Tickets and More in Tiger Tickets!

[ Tiger Boards - Basketball ]
Start New Topic
1858 people have read this post